2017 Superduty and F-150 aluminum body and add-ons aftermarket

porthole

Retired
Ford released a bulletin with recommended procedures for installing accessories on the aluminum body trucks. Good information to heed.
Same goes for you Classy Chassis guys.

- - - Updated - - -

GM and Ram boys - you'll need this next year when they catchup :cool:

Attachments

• 2017 Aluminum body add-ons Q-222R1.pdf
    521.3 KB · Views: 151

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Eventually there will be a stopping point on how much tow rating they can put on our trucks (ie.- tow vehicles)!

Sarge

Got stuck in a Texas sized hail storm outside Amarillo last spring.

I was dreading the beating my Ram was taking.

Storm passed - Not a scratch. A buddies new aluminum F150 didn't work out so well...

Sarge

jbeletti

Ford released a bulletin with recommended procedures for installing accessories on the aluminum body trucks. Good information to heed.
Same goes for you Classy Chassis guys.

- - - Updated - - -

GM and Ram boys - you'll need this next year when they catchup :cool:

Great article. Thanks for sharing Duane.

porthole

Retired
Got stuck in a Texas sized hail storm outside Amarillo last spring.

I was dreading the beating my Ram was taking.

Storm passed - Not a scratch. A buddies new aluminum F150 didn't work out so well...

Sarge

Luck of the draw.
My GMC hood looked like a golf ball surface, just from acorns in my driveway.

Either way, I posted the bulletin because some have and some will have aluminum beds or full bodied trucks soon and they may as well get a jump on one of the drawbacks with aluminum and dissimilar metals.
No different then having a boat made of aluminum, just changes how you go about doing things.

Bones

Luck of the draw.
My GMC hood looked like a golf ball surface, just from acorns in my driveway.

Either way, I posted the bulletin because some have and some will have aluminum beds or full bodied trucks soon and they may as well get a jump on one of the drawbacks with aluminum and dissimilar metals.
No different then having a boat made of aluminum, just changes how you go about doing things.

I like the idea of not having a lot of sections of your bed or truck rot out around your engine. Then that said what will the brine solution they use on the roads today do to the truck? Only time will tell.

porthole

Retired
I like the idea of not having a lot of sections of your bed or truck rot out around your engine. Then that said what will the brine solution they use on the roads today do to the truck? Only time will tell.

Since aluminum "corrodes" in a different manner I would think we would be better off. The rust that has formed on all of our vehicles is just too much. I would not even buy my truck if it was a used trade in because of the salt, and I know how it was taken care of.

There is so much salt and brine used here, and sometimes at the same time, that there have been days when I got to work that the truck looked like it had rock candy growing on it.

All of our last 15 years or so of fire apparatus have had aluminum bodies. Only problems with those has been keeping paint on them and some stress cracking.

Bones

Since aluminum "corrodes" in a different manner I would think we would be better off. The rust that has formed on all of our vehicles is just too much. I would not even buy my truck if it was a used trade in because of the salt, and I know how it was taken care of.

There is so much salt and brine used here, and sometimes at the same time, that there have been days when I got to work that the truck looked like it had rock candy growing on it.

All of our last 15 years or so of fire apparatus have had aluminum bodies. Only problems with those has been keeping paint on them and some stress cracking.
Agreed. I have seen paint just peel right off aluminum. As much as competitors complain and moan about aluminum. I actually like the idea of it being used in the vehicle bodies I think it will last longer than the steel counterparts

porthole

Retired
Don't drop anything into an aluminum box. They dent and puncture pretty easily

The super duty has a heavier gauge bed then the F-150 in the GM advert. 15 or 20% thicker, don't remember which number it is.
And I'm sure ford will be doing a similar demo next year when GM switches to aluminum.

Last edited:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I just realized there is no volt or amp gauge on this new 2017 truck.
It only has a dummy light.
Seem dumb to me. Seems like they could have put a digital one in this awesome dash computer very easily.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CarterKraft

Seem dumb to me. Seems like they could have put a digital one in this awesome dash computer very easily.

Not even an option in the customizable gauges?

sjandbj

That is very odd. My digital dash on my mustang has one that is buried but it is there. My new truck comes in January 6, 2017. I cannot wait.