2018 Bighorn Questions need answers very soon

Doogie

We are out shopping for a new 5er. On the Bighorn 3675EL, 3760EL, 3970RD does anyone have problems, regrets, or definite loves? We have to make decision this weekend or very soon.

Also, some have a large amount of window on door side. Do you like that? Do you feel like everyone can see you?
How are the day shades and night shades?
Could a sewing machine be used on desk that pulls out by thor would that get to heavy?

Hope to hear your thoughts soon so they can be taken into consideration as we decide.
Any Bighorn dealers in the midwest or enroute to Fl from Mn that you know carry The Bighorn and have great prices? Looking at 2018's.
Thanks for any help!
Doogie

jimtoo

Hi Doogie,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'll let some of our other members with newer units jump in with some info for you.

Enjoy the forum and hope to see you in a Heartland unit.

Jim M

Paradise2

Good luck,

We love our's compared to other brands out there. Have we had issues - yes, but you just use your warranty. Ours is a 2017 3575el. We love, love the big windows...makes it feel so open! People can't see in them throughout the day - so no issues there. We have double awnings on that side so full coverage...that helps with Sun. Dbl shades in side and both work great! As for your sewing machine....just put it on the dining room table or if your parked somewhere - put it outside on a table and enjoy the fresh air. Once you have the large windows you will not like not having them....

Enjoy and post pictures!

Lynette

esscobra

2017 3760el- picked up in late feb- love the windows for view- and the extra height is way better - also have the 2nd awnig and dual pane windows- so as above very happy with windows and dual shades - very few minor issues so far and very happy

Kbvols

We have a 2018 3575el and so far has been great with only a few minor issues. Check out RV wholesalers in Lakeview OH. We bought from them as they had the best price and just happen to be 40 miles away. The buying experience was very smooth and they fixed everything we noticed during the PDI.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

Had a few minor problems with our 3760 and one major, but nothing I couldn't fix myself. Love the big windows and we ordered ours with all the options back in 2016. I would of loved to have had a third air conditioner installed now. We have piled around 17k miles on ours and it is still holding up well. Your table would support a sewing machine and at night you just pull your blinds down for privacy. Put a dish on it cause some camp grounds don't have any TV coverage. Good luck with what ever you decide on and safe travels.

RandyDeb

Hi Doogie ,

We have an older BH 3670 (2009) that has lots of big windows that we love. can't see inside until it's dark outside. Not sure where you are in MN, but there is a BH dealer in Paynesville, just southwest of St Cloud. We have not done any busyness with them, so no help there. Also, Roughrider RV in Dickenson, ND come's highly recommended from a friend who has had several Heartland 5ers over the years. We are planning on stopping in Dickenson on Tuesday on our way home.

Good luck!

Randy

CDN

B and B
Hello,
We shopped for 2 years for a new Fifth Wheel and picked the BH 3575 EL in March of this year. The big windows are great and contributed to our purchase. We are downsizing to a Queen Bed to make room for cpap machines. I have done many mods already. We added a Reese Sidewinder pin box due to tight storage location.

The issues we have had.

Living slide was not seating correctly, dealer had seen this before and just adjusted the issue away, happy now

Cupboard door was the wrong one, new one has been made and is being shipped to us.

Usual screws loose and trim needed a pin nail or two.

We looked at many others and could not find the suspension, wheels and tires, full profile, coffered ceiling and 18 cu ft propane fridge in other brands that could compete. Trim was much better and the build quality was as well.

What would I change? Possibly get dual pane windows, big but I have seen many break their seal after 3 to 5 years. Maybe second awning. The main Awning is enough for two of us. We camp in the Forest at Provincial parks, lots of trees, only electricity. Out tanks lasted 5 days and 5 nights for all uses, still had fresh water on day 6.

I use the pull out desk for my Office use. Large business class laptop and MacBook. Seems to be strong enough.

Geodude

We love the big windows on the door side on ours -- facing the campsite in most cases. The "back side" view doesn't matter as much, to us. The tinted windows make it hard for people to see in during the day but the day shades make it harder to see in, if it's a concern.

Our current 2015 Bighorn replaced a 2012 Heartland Greystone. The Greystone was very reliable, never had to go back to the dealer for any repairs but it did have to go allllll the way back to Elkhart for a frame repair (Heartland was very good about helping us on this). The Bighorn has been less reliable and has had to go back to the dealer 4-5 times, for things both small (trim pieces, missing decals) and large (the fresh water tank fell out, literally).

My wife was saying to friends the other day that this Bighorn has not been any more reliable than any other brand of trailer that we're aware of. Her comments were based on our previous Heartland experience and researching various brands before be bought the Bighorn and were made while talking to friends who just bought a new Jayco 5th wheel (apparently the favourite for a majority of our 5th wheel camping friends lately).

To this day our remote control still only works sporadically and the auto-level is losing its mind.

Gaffer

The windows are dark. No one can see in. Most RV parks have your site amenities on the door side. That is where you will want to see out.

We purchased the 2018 3760EL and absolutely love it. The only issue we have had was the shower track was installed backward so the water from the doors drained into the floor. Nothing more than an installation oversight and was corrected as soon by the dealer quickly. Personally I love how the stair are on the back wall of the unit and it has the closet for the washer and dryer in the main area and not the bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doogie

Good luck,

We love our's compared to other brands out there. Have we had issues - yes, but you just use your warranty. Ours is a 2017 3575el. We love, love the big windows...makes it feel so open! People can't see in them throughout the day - so no issues there. We have double awnings on that side so full coverage...that helps with Sun. Dbl shades in side and both work great! As for your sewing machine....just put it on the dining room table or if your parked somewhere - put it outside on a table and enjoy the fresh air. Once you have the large windows you will not like not having them....

Enjoy and post pictures!

Lynette

After reading a number of post replies, there are several indicating they love the big windows! We have a Doubletree Mobile Suite and they have the darker windows, but didn't know if they were of the same quality. We are hoping to have the double awnings too. Yes, I think the dining room table will become my sewing area.
I am starting to think that it would be a real dream come true if one could get one without any issues!
Thank you for your input!
Doogie

Doogie

We purchased the 2018 3760EL and absolutely love it. The only issue we have had was the shower track was installed backward so the water from the doors drained into the floor. Nothing more than an installation oversight and was corrected as soon by the dealer quickly. Personally I love how the stair are on the back wall of the unit and it has the closet for the washer and dryer in the main area and not the bedroom.

Your model is the unit we are kind of leaning towards because we could take the door off the laundry closet and use it for our dogs kennel. Terrible when you have to base your decisions on the four-legged baby! But, we don't allow her run of the trailer. I do like that they have eliminated the living space carpet in the 2018's. Will use an area rug and will be nice that we can remove it for cleaning.
I too, think I would like the laundry area on that main level. We have not utilized the laundry space for the appliances in the past, and don't think we will now either.
Glad to hear you have loved your unit, and hope to get one with few issues also! Quality control seems to be lacking in the RV industry. Amazing some of the things that they let go leaving the manufacturing site.
What color is your interior, the Classic or the Carrabba? Everything we have seen has been the Carrabba. I would like to see what the Classic looks like.
Thanks for responding,
Doogie

CDN

B and B

Funny our shower track was backwards as well. Dealer is 2 hrs away I just tackled this repair myself, almost forgot about it!

Doogie

Funny our shower track was backwards as well. Dealer is 2 hrs away I just tackled this repair myself, almost forgot about it!

I guess that is one thing we will check before we leave the dealership!!!!
Crazy!!!
Doogie

- - - Updated - - -

The windows are dark. No one can see in. Most RV parks have your site amenities on the door side. That is where you will want to see out.

Thank you for your response. Sounds like everyone is liking those big window!!! I thought there might be concerns about warming up the trailer, having to clean them, etc. We will check that off our concern list!

Doogie

- - - Updated - - -

We love the big windows on the door side on ours -- facing the campsite in most cases. The "back side" view doesn't matter as much, to us. The tinted windows make it hard for people to see in during the day but the day shades make it harder to see in, if it's a concern.

Our current 2015 Bighorn replaced a 2012 Heartland Greystone. The Greystone was very reliable, never had to go back to the dealer for any repairs but it did have to go allllll the way back to Elkhart for a frame repair (Heartland was very good about helping us on this). The Bighorn has been less reliable and has had to go back to the dealer 4-5 times, for things both small (trim pieces, missing decals) and large (the fresh water tank fell out, literally).

My wife was saying to friends the other day that this Bighorn has not been any more reliable than any other brand of trailer that we're aware of. Her comments were based on our previous Heartland experience and researching various brands before be bought the Bighorn and were made while talking to friends who just bought a new Jayco 5th wheel (apparently the favourite for a majority of our 5th wheel camping friends lately).

To this day our remote control still only works sporadically and the auto-level is losing its mind.

Oh my! The fresh water tank fell out???!!! Not good! We never use ours, maybe we won't start either!!! We have seen a number of Pinnacles by Jayco at the campgrounds. Haven't checked them out though. Hopefully your auto level and remote will stop misbehaving!
Thank you for sharing your experiences.
Doogie

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,
We shopped for 2 years for a new Fifth Wheel and picked the BH 3575 EL in March of this year. The big windows are great and contributed to our purchase. We are downsizing to a Queen Bed to make room for cpap machines. I have done many mods already. We added a Reese Sidewinder pin box due to tight storage location.

The issues we have had.

Living slide was not seating correctly, dealer had seen this before and just adjusted the issue away, happy now

Cupboard door was the wrong one, new one has been made and is being shipped to us.

Usual screws loose and trim needed a pin nail or two.

We looked at many others and could not find the suspension, wheels and tires, full profile, coffered ceiling and 18 cu ft propane fridge in other brands that could compete. Trim was much better and the build quality was as well.

What would I change? Possibly get dual pane windows, big but I have seen many break their seal after 3 to 5 years. Maybe second awning. The main Awning is enough for two of us. We camp in the Forest at Provincial parks, lots of trees, only electricity. Out tanks lasted 5 days and 5 nights for all uses, still had fresh water on day 6.

I use the pull out desk for my Office use. Large business class laptop and MacBook. Seems to be strong enough.

That 3575 EL is still a possibility for us. If we custom order we will get the dual pane windows very likely. We did have to go to the "Fog Doctor" to have them fix a few of the windows in our Mobile Suites Fifth Wheel. Also would do the awning toppers and a second awning.
Thanks for sharing.

Doogie

Hi Doogie ,

We have an older BH 3670 (2009) that has lots of big windows that we love. can't see inside until it's dark outside. Not sure where you are in MN, but there is a BH dealer in Paynesville, just southwest of St Cloud. We have not done any busyness with them, so no help there. Also, Roughrider RV in Dickenson, ND come's highly recommended from a friend who has had several Heartland 5ers over the years. We are planning on stopping in Dickenson on Tuesday on our way home.

Good luck!

Randy

Hi Randy,
We are in Alexandria. We have checked the Paynesville dealership and they are sold out. Checked Dickinson but their prices seemed higher than others. Headed to Council Bluffs Iowa right by Omaha, Neb and they were willing to deal but the BH 3670 they had didn't meet our standards. Also checking out other areas. Will be interesting to find out how your visit in Dickinson goes. We are willing to travel to find the right one. May end up having to special order. I think I might call a regional sales rep to see if they know where one might be available.
Thanks for your response.
Doogie

- - - Updated - - -

Had a few minor problems with our 3760 and one major, but nothing I couldn't fix myself. Love the big windows and we ordered ours with all the options back in 2016. I would of loved to have had a third air conditioner installed now. We have piled around 17k miles on ours and it is still holding up well. Your table would support a sewing machine and at night you just pull your blinds down for privacy. Put a dish on it cause some camp grounds don't have any TV coverage. Good luck with what ever you decide on and safe travels.

Thanks for the info! Two air conditioners aren't adequate?
We are planning to get some other kind of portable satellite that wouldn't be on the trailer. 17k miles has been a good test!!!
Keep on trucking',
Doogie

Doogie

So nice to get responses from you experienced BH owners. All the units we have looked at have had the dark decor. Does anyone with a 2018 BH have the Classic decor colors? Can't tell if the sofa and recliners have a greenish color to them. If anyone has the Classic color scheme, I would love to see some photos showing what it looks like. We have a Mobile Suites that has a lighter decor. I am not sure I like so much dark all over.

Has anyone had problems with the upholstery on the sofa(s) and recliners? How about the electronic features on the recliners?
Does anyone have thoughts on what they think is best, the theatre seating or separate recliners?

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.
Doogie

CoveredWagon

So nice to get responses from you experienced BH owners. All the units we have looked at have had the dark decor. Does anyone with a 2018 BH have the Classic decor colors? Can't tell if the sofa and recliners have a greenish color to them. If anyone has the Classic color scheme, I would love to see some photos showing what it looks like. We have a Mobile Suites that has a lighter decor. I am not sure I like so much dark all over.

Has anyone had problems with the upholstery on the sofa(s) and recliners? How about the electronic features on the recliners?
Does anyone have thoughts on what they think is best, the theatre seating or separate recliners?

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.
Doogie

We ordered our 2018 with, I think, the classic color. It is definitely not greenish. It is like coffee with cream. We didn't like the dark on dark. Our unit is too new to tell about durability. We tossed around recliners and theater seating as well. We decided on the theater seating and love it. Had several friends over this week and darn near had to tools them out. The heated and massage function had them wanting to move in with us. So far no issues with the interior at all. A couple of small issues yes, but nothing to stop us from enjoying. This is "Glamping" 😁. IMG_0113.jpg

terribruce

retired Oregon Chapter Leaders
I like all the windows, makes it seem like more room. And your night time shades will help at night. Good luck with your new rig, and safe
travels.

Terri

Doogie

I like all the windows, makes it seem like more room. And your night time shades will help at night. Good luck with your new rig, and safe
travels.

Terri

Thank you, Terri. Looks really sharp! I am thinking we probably should have gone with the lighter version. They did come out with a new light color decor now. They got rid of the paisley upholstery.
Doogie

Last edited: