2018 Landmark Phoenix issues

AnthonyA

Hello folks, im looking for some feedback for some issues we have been experiencing with our new luxury rig.

Within 2 days of setting up our 5th wheel for the first time we experienced these issues.

#1 - A waterline fitting to the back of the water heater was loose. We had no idea until we came home and saw water leaking out from the underbelly. Water filled the basement and the underbelly completely. After I fixed the leak , had to drop the underbelly to drain the water and saw that the insulation was ruined. I set up a heater to do as best as I could to dry out the rest.

#2 - The shelving in the pantry has collapsed with the weight of just a few cans of food.

#3 - the trim going up and down the sides of the door is 1 inch higher on one side than the other causing the wooden arch above the door to be glaringly lopsided. I guess they did that assembly in the dark.

#4 - two electrical outlets under the TV have no face plate to bolt them to the wall. They're just hanging there.

#5 - the electric motor to raise the bed up and down is struggling to the point of causing the lights to dim and getting stuck. Have to push it in with your legs to get it going.

#6 - various trim pieces missing throughout the coach.

#7 - both gray tank valves are stuck in the open position.

#8 - Aluminum Structural support had a broken weld broke under living room in storage room.

#9 - Update 3/5/18 - another leak sprung up under the bathroom sink and once again drained into the basement. Seem to leak from the same type of fitting that's on the back of the water heater.

I'm not quite sure how the quality department works at Heartland but I do Quality Inspection for a living and I am just flat-out disturbed by what we have experienced.

Am I overreacting or is this typical?

Is this "normal" to experience issues like this? I never would have expected this in a $100,000 Luxury 5th wheel.

Our dealer is doing a fantastic job in getting the warranty process going but I really would also like to hear some feedback from Heartland. The whole reason we bought a Heartland product was to get away from these types of issues.

Last edited:

TxRoadWarrior362

Your not overreacting, but not uncommon for any RV manufactor. Heartland will stand behind you, and make sure it's fixed. Sounds like you like your dealer. Make sure to check in often with them for updates on approvals from Heartland and duration of repairs. Work the bugs out, and make some memories in your new 5er. :cool:

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sounds like a lot of this should have been caught at pdi but some just comes from actually using the coach like the pantry issues. I had to redo one of our drawers and now know not to overload them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I don't know who your dealer is, but I am curious, did they do a thorough walk-through of the coach with you, to go over how everything works, when you took delivery? I would think things like trim that is missing and crooked, as well as the troubled operations of the bed and grey tank handles, should have been caught during that walk-through. The water heater also should have been tested by the dealer before you took possession. I know they try to rush through these things to get you out the door, but you have to do your due-diligence to make sure the coach is delivery-ready.

The RV Industry has typically relied on the dealer to do a pre-delivery inspection BEFORE the unit gets into the hands of the customer. However, the industry is crazy-booming! Manufacturers are pumping them out at a record pace, creating more issues than ever before. Hiring skilled workers is very difficult, with unemployment in Elkhart County at 4% or something like that. And, dealers are pushing them out their doors, just as fast, expecting the customer to discover the issues, and they'll fix them then, after they have your money.

Overall, your issues do not seem to be insurmountable. I am sure once they are fixed, you will enjoy your coach!

AnthonyA

Your not overreacting, but not uncommon for any RV manufactor. Heartland will stand behind you, and make sure it's fixed. Sounds like you like your dealer. Make sure to check in often with them for updates on approvals from Heartland and duration of repairs. Work the bugs out, and make some memories in your new 5er. :cool:
It was a bit of a rough start. We are in the process of going full-time again so we had a lot of moving and preparation to do and throwing these issues in the mix made it a little difficult. But we are looking forward to making some awesome memories!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

AnthonyA

Sounds like a lot of this should have been caught at pdi but some just comes from actually using the coach like the pantry issues. I had to redo one of our drawers and now know not to overload them

I'm considering using some custom wood inside the pantry and better supports other than thin nails.

AnthonyA

I don't know who your dealer is, but I am curious, did they do a thorough walk-through of the coach with you, to go over how everything works, when you took delivery? I would think things like trim that is missing and crooked, as well as the troubled operations of the bed and grey tank handles, should have been caught during that walk-through. The water heater also should have been tested by the dealer before you took possession. I know they try to rush through these things to get you out the door, but you have to do your due-diligence to make sure the coach is delivery-ready.

The RV Industry has typically relied on the dealer to do a pre-delivery inspection BEFORE the unit gets into the hands of the customer. However, the industry is crazy-booming! Manufacturers are pumping them out at a record pace, creating more issues than ever before. Hiring skilled workers is very difficult, with unemployment in Elkhart County at 4% or something like that. And, dealers are pushing them out their doors, just as fast, expecting the customer to discover the issues, and they'll fix them then, after they have your money.

Overall, your issues do not seem to be insurmountable. I am sure once they are fixed, you will enjoy your coach!
We did an interior walkthrough and focused on the control panel and slides, Bella and whistles with a brief walk of the exterior.
Some of the issues we experience, were not noticed until we started to use the coach. For example the broken pantry shelf, missing trim in inconspicuous areas. We also did not open every cabinet/drawer so we didn't see the missing eletrical face plate.
As far as the dump tanks are concerned, I never thought to check them before delivery, I just assumed on a brand new unit, it wouldn't be an issue.
In regards to the water leak, that exact part was checked by the dealer so they were very concerned as to why the leak happened. They experienced the same thing on a cyclone before so they have been in contact with Heartland to to see if there was a defective part.
Their prepping and our walkthrough may have been a little rushed but we all have our days. The important thing is that it will be fixed and we will get to enjoy full time RV-ing again.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The important thing is that it will be fixed and we will get to enjoy full time RV-ing again. Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE said:
Yessir! Your problems are frustrating but seem to be easily remedied. :)

Please consider coming out to a rally and showing off this great new floorplan. There are three chapters in Texas, and if you're a Heartland Owners Club member, you can attend any rally in any state!

Our next West Texas Chapter Rally is just around the corner, March 16-18 in Abilene. Come join us!

AnthonyA

Yessir! Your problems are frustrating but seem to be easily remedied. :)

Please consider coming out to a rally and showing off this great new floorplan. There are three chapters in Texas, and if you're a Heartland Owners Club member, you can attend any rally in any state!

Our next West Texas Chapter Rally is just around the corner, March 16-18 in Abilene. Come join us!

That sounds like a great idea! I Have definitely wanted to meet with some of my new Heartland family! I am a member so I'm covered there.

carl.swoyer

Hello folks, in looking for some feedback for some issues we have been experiencing with our new luxury rig.

Within 2 days of setting up our 5th wheel for the first time we experienced these issues.

#1 - A waterline fitting to the back of the water heater was loose. We had no idea until we came home and saw water leaking out from the underbelly. Water filled the basement and the underbelly completely. After I fixed the leak , had to drop the underbelly to drain the water and saw that the insulation was ruined. I set up a heater to do as best as I could to dry out the rest.

#2 - The shelving in the pantry has collapsed with the weight of just a few cans of food.

#3 - the trim going up and down the sides of the door is 1 inch higher on one side than the other causing the wooden arch above the door to be glaringly lopsided. I guess they did that assembly in the dark.

#4 - two electrical outlets under the TV have no face plate to bolt them to the wall. They're just hanging there.

#5 - the electric motor to raise the bed up and down is struggling to the point of causing the lights to dim and getting stuck. Have to push it in with your legs to get it going.

#6 - various trim pieces missing throughout the coach.

#7 - both gray tank valves are stuck in the open position.

#8 - Aluminum Structural support had a broken weld broke under living room in storage room.

I'm not quite sure how the quality department works at Heartland but I do Quality Inspection for a living and I am just flat-out disturbed by what we have experienced.

Am I overreacting or is this typical?

Is this "normal" to experience issues like this? I never would have expected this in a $100,000 Luxury 5th wheel.

Our dealer is doing a fantastic job in getting the warranty process going but I really would also like to hear some feedback from Heartland. The whole reason we bought a Heartland product was to get away from these types of issues.
I have a 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel. I went through the same thing.
My opinion is , Heartland has not yet made any progress in quality control. A PDI from the dealership is normally a brief look over, as dealerships will make a ton of money on warranty work.
Heartland has to change the way they think. They must inspect and clean up all the shotty assembly line issues.
Heartland what do you think?
For the record I love my Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

John T Bettencourt

That is so sad to hear news like this. We're talking a 130,000 dollar trailer and to have a company let something go out the door with these problem is terrible. Goes to show there needs to be changes in management.

pegmikef

I am sorry to hear about your problems, but I think the dealer was remiss in the prep that they were paid to do. Items such as missing trim, leaking hot water heater, A/C outlets hanging loose, and stuck valves should have been seen and fixed (they have the capability to order the trim pieces). These items would have been obvious had they at least done a cursory inspection. I am on my fourth Heartland product and the only time any of them had to go back to the dealer was to have warranty work done on an aftermarket air conditioner I had installed. I am by no means excusing the factory and QC procedures for their shoddy work, but to me, the dealer has a certain responsibility to at least find and rectify some of the obvious deficiencies you cited.

busted2341

That should have never left the factory like that. I had several of the same issues and stood there at the dealer during my delivery and had them fix it. No matter how many times they asked me to go in and sign paperwork, I told them as soon as everything I found was complete I would accept delivery. Needless to say we took it the next day after another thorough inspection.

carl.swoyer

That should have never left the factory like that. I had several of the same issues and stood there at the dealer during my delivery and had them fix it. No matter how many times they asked me to go in and sign paperwork, I told them as soon as everything I found was complete I would accept delivery. Needless to say we took it the next day after another thorough inspection.
I ordered a 2012 redwood fwd lvrm. It was set up on the delivery lot. Lazydays wanted me to sign for it and then do the inspection. I said nay nay I went early to the delivery lot and did my inspection.
Good thing. So many issues I walked away and refused delivery. Electronics hanging out of the belly both entry door would not close. Bed slide would get hung up on the mattress living room slide would open and all the wires were still in the living room.
Don't accept what you don't inspect!
So very happy with my Landmark Rushmore full body paint. No more chalking fiberglass.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

When I went to take delivery of my BH, all basement walls were out with water and electrics exposed along with the covers on outside of rig. Had electricity and water hooked up and checked faucets, water lines in basement for leaks or drips. Switched to pump and made sure everything worked properly including hot water. Any leak should have been found at this time. Sorry to hear of your troubles but when fixed, I'm sure you're going to love it. Good luck.

AnthonyA

RickL

I understand what you are saying in expecting a lot more from an expensive unit. My belief is that regardless how bustling the factory is, get it right. Producing shoddy products eventually bites the manufacturer. Shoving units out the door KNOWING that there are problems and hoping that the dealer finds and does the necessary repairs down the line in my opinion is really a poor business model.

Expecting the dealer to replace missing items or repairing items such as a drawer not closing or a door not latching is inexcusable. Yes there are going to be some items that show up during the initial trip from the factory to the dealer. That can be expected. But, (I’m not attacking anyone) we seem to have lowered our expectations and accept the problems as “normal”.

I really believe that that the reason Grand Design grew so rapidly is that they paid attention to these issues prior to the unit leaving the factory and IF they did have issues they responded rapidly. Quality control starts at the point of manufacture, not at the end of assembly. Edward Demings was big in that you shouldn’t need inspectors if the problem was addressed during the build process. His thoughts and ideas are what put Japanese manufactures as one of the best. (Ok, I’ll step off my soap box now)

clayhud

I understand what you are saying in expecting a lot more from an expensive unit. My belief is that regardless how bustling the factory is, get it right. Producing shoddy products eventually bites the manufacturer. Shoving units out the door KNOWING that there are problems and hoping that the dealer finds and does the necessary repairs down the line in my opinion is really a poor business model.

Expecting the dealer to replace missing items or repairing items such as a drawer not closing or a door not latching is inexcusable. Yes there are going to be some items that show up during the initial trip from the factory to the dealer. That can be expected. But, (I’m not attacking anyone) we seem to have lowered our expectations and accept the problems as “normal”.

I really believe that that the reason Grand Design grew so rapidly is that they paid attention to these issues prior to the unit leaving the factory and IF they did have issues they responded rapidly. Quality control starts at the point of manufacture, not at the end of assembly. Edward Demings was big in that you shouldn’t need inspectors if the problem was addressed during the build process. His thoughts and ideas are what put Japanese manufactures as one of the best. (Ok, I’ll step off my soap box now)

RickL,

You are spot on with your comments! I studied Edward Demming's quality principles in the 80's while working at AT&T. He was the man regarding the quality process. His institute is still going strong today.

Best,

dave10a

One must be handy to own an RV. If they are not they should be prepared to experience significant disappointment..