2020 Cyclone brakes making noise.

MattB

Rear passenger side brake is making a weird noise. Pulled hub and all the brake parts fell out. Tension springs were broken, pads where torn apart, hub had a nice size scratch in surface.
Trying to figure out manufacture of the axle and brakes for replacement parts and to chat with them. Does anyone know who that might be. Think I narrowed to dexter ( looks like there stuff online). Or Lippert.

BLR

We replaced all of our brakes, axles suspension.
Upgraded to disc brakes, 8000lb axles, slipper springs and shocks.. one of the best upgrades. 2017 4018 cyclone

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

MattB

Right after I sent this I went out and took a picture of that. Thanks for the info. I actually reached out to dexter and waiting on a reply. I will keep you all posted.

rpndltn

Rear passenger side brake is making a weird noise. Pulled hub and all the brake parts fell out. Tension springs were broken, pads where torn apart, hub had a nice size scratch in surface.
Trying to figure out manufacture of the axle and brakes for replacement parts and to chat with them. Does anyone know who that might be. Think I narrowed to dexter ( looks like there stuff online). Or Lippert.
I had the exact same thing happen on my Bighorn in the exact same spot, rear passenger side. I pulled all of my other drums to inspect the remaining wheels and all of the others were fine. Quite a few parts fell out of the right rear, but a few were actually totally missing. Everything was covered with grease and totally destroyed. The axle seal was loose from the drum and just hanging on the spindle. I am in the process of finding out if I can replace this Dexter mess with a Lippert unit if the Lippert unit will fit my Dexter axle. I don't really want to take a chance on another Dexter mess. I also have to replace the drum.

SLO

Hum, same thing happened to me in 2014 on our 2012 Bighorn with Dexter axles. Rear passenger side. Because of that, when we got our current 2016 Bighorn I installed disc brakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wdk450

I had the exact same thing happen on my Bighorn in the exact same spot, rear passenger side. I pulled all of my other drums to inspect the remaining wheels and all of the others were fine. Quite a few parts fell out of the right rear, but a few were actually totally missing. Everything was covered with grease and totally destroyed. The axle seal was loose from the drum and just hanging on the spindle. I am in the process of finding out if I can replace this Dexter mess with a Lippert unit if the Lippert unit will fit my Dexter axle. I don't really want to take a chance on another Dexter mess. I also have to replace the drum.
I don't know what your financial picture is, or where you are located, but this might be an opportune time to check out a MorRyde Independent Suspension/disk brakes upgrade in Elkhart. https://www.morryde.com/products/independent-suspension-system/

MillerTime802

We replaced all of our brakes, axles suspension.
Upgraded to disc brakes, 8000lb axles, slipper springs and shocks.. one of the best upgrades. 2017 4018 cyclone

Barbara

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Barbara:

We have a 2017 Cyclone CY3611JS. 40' long front to end cap. 17,000# gross, with Dexter 7,000# axles.

I'm considering upgrading to 8K axles, springs, and accessories.

When I look through Dexter axles, the 8K axles, the hub face to hub face (HF) dimensions are wider than the 7K stock axle's 92". Likewise, the Spring Center (SC) dimension is also longer by a few inches. My stock SC is 74.5". This means the 8K leaf spring location will be wider than stock and won't align with the existing hangers welded to the frame.

I see no 8k axles where the HF and SC is the same as stock. (92") & (74.5"), respectively.

How did you overcome this axle width difference on your Cyclone?

P.S. Also looking into the MorRyde Independent Suspension, but vetting out my options.

Thanks,
Brad

sengli

if it is a dexter you will see a tag like this one, one the center of the axle tube.

Attachments

• axle.jpg
    axle.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 6

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Barbara:

We have a 2017 Cyclone CY3611JS. 40' long front to end cap. 17,000# gross, with Dexter 7,000# axles.
Barbara:

When I look through Dexter axles, the 8K axles, the hub face to hub face (HF) dimensions are wider than the 7K stock axle's 92". Likewise, the Spring Center (SC) dimension is also longer by a few inches. My stock SC is 74.5". This means the 8K leaf spring location will be wider than stock and won't align with the existing hangers welded to the frame.

I see no 8k axles where the HF and SC is the same as stock. (92") & (74.5"), respectively.

P.S. Also looking into the MorRyde Independent Suspension, but vetting out my options.

Thanks,
Brad

Thanks,
Brad
Contact Performance Trailer Braking. They do aftermarket springs & axles

Reactions: BLR

david-steph2018

Barbara:

Thanks,
Brad
We had the MorRyde IS System installed in October 2020 during Halloween week. For the IS System the total cost was $6500, about $1000/wheel. While the install is happening, at that time, you were allowed to stay in your rig overnight. But during the day, you had to up and out at 6 am and not back in until they were done for the day, around 3 pm. So, since we had our Dachshund at that time, we stayed at Quality Inn. At that time MorRyde had 4 different sizes 7K, 8K, 8.4K and 9K setups.
Performance Trailer Braking did our disc conversion during the 2019 National Rally in Goshen. I think the cost at that time was about $4300.
Both of the upgrades are worth it for us, since we are full time. Our disc brakes could be transferred to the new system.

LBR

Barbara:

Thanks,
Brad
As travlin2 stated above....contact Performance Trailer and explain what you wish to do...have a photo of your axle tags (also mentioned above) and they will take care of you thru the entire process, whether you DIY the project, or have one of their professional installation teams perform the tasks.