30 amp Power Wiring

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Getting ready to start wiring 30 amp RV service to the outside of the new garage. I have a 30 amp, 3 prong trailer plug. A question for anyone that has done this, is 10/2 wire sufficient. It will be wired on its own 30 amp breaker. Thanks

Jamie

Garypowell

If I recall correctly #10 wire is OK for 30 amps.....but you also have to be concerned about how long the "run" is. Search it on the web and there are several sites that show how much larger wire must be for a given run.

danemayer

Getting ready to start wiring 30 amp RV service to the outside of the new garage. I have a 30 amp, 3 prong trailer plug. A question for anyone that has done this, is 10/2 wire sufficient. It will be wired on its own 30 amp breaker. Thanks

Jamie
Jamie,

I'd suggest taking a look at this page. Navigate to the section about 30Amp service. Scroll down to the wire size table. Also, be very certain you have the right receptacle and that it's done correctly. Otherwise you'll fry a good bit of the electrical stuff in your trailer.

porthole

Retired
Jamie ---------- I did that years ago with the travel trailer ------------- and now have a 50 amp trailer --------- jus sayin'

jbeletti

Jamie ---------- I did that years ago with the travel trailer ------------- and now have a 50 amp trailer --------- jus sayin'

Jamie,

That's some good advice there by Duane. Not much more $ to go 50 amp. That said, even if you upgrade 1 day to a unit with 50 amp service, unless you want to pull 2 ACs at once or a lot of other power hungry items, you'll do fine on 30 amp.

When you come visit me though, there's a 50 amp receptacle next to my garage door for you. Just sayin' as well :)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jamie, we had 30amp put in our garage, then a year later upgraded to a 50amp 5ver. We just use an adapter, and only use one AC. It's ok, but wish we'd done it 50amp in the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
When you come visit me though, there's a 50 amp receptacle next to my garage door for you. Just sayin' as well :)

Sounds like a great place to stay! Will we need reservations for the first week in October?

jbeletti

Sounds like a great place to stay! Will we need reservations for the first week in October?

Kentucky? You're close! Yes, you should check it out. Will you be coming to the TN rally?

We won't be home the first half of October. Iowa Chapter Rally (Amana, IA) followed by Pacific Regional Rally (Temecula, CA).

JWalker

Jamie, #10 wire is good up to about 25ft.

According to Dan's link, #10 is good up to 48'. After that, #8. I need about a 45' run, so #8 it is. 30 amp is all I need. Just to run the fridge and sweeper, maybe the AC for testing. Madi has friends over for movie night every once in awhile.

Thanks for all the quick feedback. That's what I love about this forum.

Jim B. Don't tempt Ginger and Madison. You might get a knock on the door and there we are.

Jamie

evolvingpowercat

Consider that you will have at least a 25 foot length RV cord in series with the wiring from your electrical panel to the 30 A outlet. So the total run would drive the gauge and I would use at least no. 8. It will be well worth it to use no. 8 instead of no. 10. Your RV AC will start up much easier. Your RV microwave will be happier. You will have a lower voltage drop thru the wiring with the no. 8 then you would with the no. 10 under load, meaning more of the electricity you are paying for is going to the RV instead of going to heat the wire between your electrical panel and the RV.

jbeletti

So many options Jamie
parklight01.jpg
Aren't we a bunch of wise guys?

Madison is likely too old for it, but think of 12 easy bake ovens all lined up and Madison teaching a cake baking class. Dad - I need more power! :)

JWalker

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help. Wired last night and finished the job today. Used #8 wire. Ginger and I decided to not use the standard RV sevice box. We did not want that big gray box on the side of the garage. We were looking for something a little more residential. We found and modified an outdoor weatherproof box which fit the bill perfectly. It was also available in white. Again, thanks for the help.

Jamie

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    711.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 66