30 amp VS 50 amp service

lazyp

I currently have a 2010 cyclone with a 50 amp service and only 1 ac. I am looking at upgrading to a 2013 cyclone that only has a 30 amp service and two ac. Will two ac run on 30 amps?

Oregon_Camper

Perhaps they are very low power AC units? Seems like the prior owner added the second unit and didn't upgrade the RV power.

Without knowing exact info on the AC units, I don't think you can get a real answer.

Flick

I currently have a 2010 cyclone with a 50 amp service and only 1 ac. I am looking at upgrading to a 2013 cyclone that only has a 30 amp service and two ac. Will two ac run on 30 amps?

I believe you should double check the 2013’s service of what you say is 30 amp. Very unusual.
But to actually answer your question about 2 ac’s on 30a service, in a perfect world where nothing else is pulling amps , they probably would. But since a perfect world doesn’t exist and something else will be drawing amps, the answer is no.

Gary521

Even if you find that the new rig has only 30amp service, you can still run both AC's. However, you have to make a slight addition to each AC. You add a soft start capacitor to the AC. It is a Micro Aire Easy Start. A lot of us have added these devices and they work great. These are easy to add and you can find several you tube videos that show you how.

david-steph2018

There is allot of variables involved to answer your question:
In Ohio were we had a seasonal site with only 30 amp service, during the week days we could run with 2 ac units if we had the need. But once the weekend crowd arrived, it changed. But even during the week, we could not run anything else (water heater, air fryer, Keurig) without shutting down 1 AC unit.
That park was there in the late 60's and has aluminum stranded electric cable for the service. Like most any park the sites are daisy chained to operate between 3-4 sites off the same breaker.

porthole

Retired

Is that a travel trailer or CY 3812? They are the only models I recall that had 30 amp service as standard. All the rest are standard with 50 amp.

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
It is a 5th wheel toy hauler.

The 2812 was the only 5th wheel model that had 30 amp standard when we bought our Cyclone in 2009.

Are you sure it is 30 amp service?
Maybe the previous owner didn't use 50 and replaced the plug?

Before I added a cord reel to our Cyclone I used a made up 30 amp cord (50 -->30) probably 95% of the time.

Dahillbilly

check the main breaker in your breaker panel & see what amp rating it is. That should tell you which one it is; another thing to check would be the wiring on the plug in.