40 amp fuses

davidg

Daughter and son-in-law just purchased Sundance TT, went through walk through everything worked fine, after getting it home and plugged it in it burnt two forty-amp fuses. (Now keep in mind I was not there all I know is the fuses burnt) I'm a BH owner and not familiar with later Sundance models.

Questions:
After towing does he have too switch anything manually before plugging into 220?
Any idea what these two 40 amp fuses feed?

I know you guys will have more questions for me just ask and I will see what I can do.
davidg

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If they plugged into 220, then they are lucky if only two 40 amp fuses blew. What fuses (where) blew?

There is nothing to switchover after towing.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A clue to your question might be "plugging into 220".
Depending on the service panel of the Sundance it could have a 30 amp 120 volt system or it could have two 50 amp 120 volt systems, commonly called a 50 amp service.
Your larger Bighorn has 50 amp. The Sundance might have a 30 or a 50 amp service.
If they plunged a 30 amp 120 volt RV system into a 220 volt dryer reciprocal or in to
a miswired 50 amp RV receptacle that will be a problem.
Do you know what they plugged in to?

Peace.
Dave

davidg

If they plugged into 220, then they are lucky if only two 40 amp fuses blew. What fuses (where) blew?

Thanks Dave for your reply,
I was told he plugged in a 50 amp outlet and blew two 40 amp fuses and I don't know which ones.

davidg

Thanks Gus for your reply, I will need to get out there and check the outlet he plugged into and see what fuses he burnt.

davidg

S-I-L is at work I will try and get him to bring his TT here and plug it in, what I have here works.

Will give you guys update when available.
Thanks again

davidg

Gus told you guys I would give update when available. Well C W had battery hooked up wrong, the positive post was grounded. Easy fix if nothing is screwed up.
I would like to correct my error he was not plugged into 220v 120v.
Thanks for your reply

davidg

Thanks Dave for your reply,
I was told he plugged in a 50 amp outlet and blew two 40 amp fuses and I don't know which ones.
Told you I would update when update available. Well C W had battery hooked up wrong, positive post grounded.

wdk450

Another owner tale to advise you to avoid Camping World "SERVICE" . This is about the most simple idiotic RV electrical error that can be made.
Are they hiring homeless off the street????

As a 40 year career electronics technician, the last step in doing a repair is to TEST that the system works correctly.

Read the online reviews before using Camping World Service, and think hard about buying an RV there and having to have warranty service done by them.

Nice place to buy RV accessories, but support your local independent RV accessories, parts and service suppliers first, E-Bay and Amazon second.

jerryjay11

Camping World testing? Sure! Don't hold your breath. When we purchased our camper from CW we were told everything was tested. Until I attempted to light the gas burners on the cooktop I could smell gas. It became stronger when I went outside. I found it was the hot water heater. Someone had removed the 90 deg fitting to the valve, pulled the supply line down into the interior cabinet, lost one screw and loosened the other on a gas manifold that was suppose to be attached to the frame of the undercarriage. The salesman tells me and filed a claim with Heartland stating the flex line was pulled down by a tire even though there were no rub marks and it didn't even reach the far down.

So according to him, somehow the 90 deg fitting unthreaded itself, opened the access panel, jumped to it's death while I was towing the camper, and yet was able to close the access panel and latch it. And before that it must have pushed the flex supply line down through the floor to have it end up inside the camper cabinet, behind the HW heater. What?!

sengli

On your 12 volt converter, it should be fuse protected if you accidentally plug the battery in backwards. The output fuses on the converter should have blown, its designed to do just that. Dont ask me know I know this!!! It was a late night, and well stuff happens.