4000 mile adventure with new BH

Dumboldles

Just returned from a trip to the Northwest with our BH. No complaints everything worked great. Was able to see a wonderful part of the country and able to stay in our 349 SF portable condo. Made it a point to use all of the components because the warranty period is almost up and they all worked as supposed. Did have some vey minor annoyance-type-stuff that is too minor to mention that we all have to deal with when owning one of these things.

My TV, 2007.5 2500 Duramax, handled the towing with no problems, we made it up and down some heavy duty passes in the Rockies, Cascades, Siskiyous, and the Sierras with ease. The fuel consumption averaged 12mpg for the trip. My hitch, Andersen Ultimate worked great; easy to hitch and unhitch and pulled real smooth.

My only disappointment was the RV Lock that I had put on our BH. As the trip progressed the lock became harder to unlock. I found if I pushed in the door just above the lock it would open, then when we finally pulled into home base (104 temp) the lock failed completely...even the key didn't work. Nothing like pulling in and wanting to start the unloading process and can't event get the door open. After about 20 min and wondering about getting a pry bar or finding a lock smith the door finally opened. I'm not sure if my door frame or strike plate was the problem, I did talk with RV Lock customer service, who was very helpful and sent out a replacement lock. The RV Lock system seems like a good idea but concerned about its fragility after my experience. I did put the original lock back on.

Anyway had a very good trip and experience with the BH 3010RE, looking forward to a trip to S.CA next month.
image.jpgimage.jpg
Dumboldles

Last edited:

danemayer

Sounds like the problem with the lock might be that the deadbolt is binding because the door isn't closing properly, or the plate is misaligned. When using the inside handle, the deadbolt should move easily. If not, you'll have problems.

padre44

We recently returned from a 4500 mile trip from Tennessee to Glacier National Park in our new 3570. Only problem was the kitchen sink sprayer seemed to have low pressure like it was stopped up. Got a new one from dealer when we returned. Towed with a 2016 Ford F250 diesel and got 10 MPG. Towed great. This is the best RV we've ever owned both in comfort and quality. Couldn't be happier with RV and dealer, Riley's RV World in Mayfield, KY.

Piperflyer

We're still on over a 7800 mile trip and counting with our BH so far this summer. I wouldn't trade the experience or our BH for what we have seen or done. We had a small water leak going to the frig and that has been our only problem. Look forward to a few more years of traveling around with this setup......

rhodies1

Just returned from a trip to the Northwest with our BH. No complaints everything worked great. Was able to see a wonderful part of the country and able to stay in our 349 SF portable condo. Made it a point to use all of the components because the warranty period is almost up and they all worked as supposed. Did have some vey minor annoyance-type-stuff that is too minor to mention that we all have to deal with when owning one of these things.

My TV, 2007.5 2500 Duramax, handled the towing with no problems, we made it up and down some heavy duty passes in the Rockies, Cascades, Siskiyous, and the Sierras with ease. The fuel consumption averaged 12mpg for the trip. My hitch, Andersen Ultimate worked great; easy to hitch and unhitch and pulled real smooth.

My only disappointment was the RV Lock that I had put on our BH. As the trip progressed the lock became harder to unlock. I found if I pushed in the door just above the lock it would open, then when we finally pulled into home base (104 temp) the lock failed completely...even the key didn't work. Nothing like pulling in and wanting to start the unloading process and can't event get the door open. After about 20 min and wondering about getting a pry bar or finding a lock smith the door finally opened. I'm not sure if my door frame or strike plate was the problem, I did talk with RV Lock customer service, who was very helpful and sent out a replacement lock. The RV Lock system seems like a good idea but concerned about its fragility after my experience. I did put the original lock back on.

Anyway had a very good trip and experience with the BH 3010RE, looking forward to a trip to S.CA next month.
View attachment 47241View attachment 47242

Dumboldles

Sorry to hear about your RV lock,my comment on your issue,if this failed on me I would drill the centre of the lock versus prying door open.If the lock failed then it no good anyway,easier to replace lock than door assembly.

mlpeloquin

RV Lock is great to deal with and back up their product well. We had a intermittent problem of it working and not working with the remote. Finally it would only work sometimes if we slammed the door shut. I called them and they sent me a new receiver circuit board. He told me how to open it up and replace the board. Two days later I opened it up removed the existing receiver circuit board, saw a bad solder joint on the connector, re-soldered it, reinstalled it, and it has worked fine since. The new board arrived a day later. I now have a spare and felt bad about having them send one out. I am sure that they know that most people do not know how to solder along with having the proper grounded soldering iron, grounded anti-static pad, flux, and 100% isopropyl alcohol to clean it with.

Dumboldles

RV Lock has stood behind their product and did send a replacement lock to replace the failed lock that I had problems with; my problem is do I take a chance with this lock that failed me badly? I like the idea of being able to use the remote, while holding a bag of groceries, to simply open your door....simply push a button and reach up and flip the door handle and your in. My experience didn't work out as I had envisioned, maybe this new lock will work out great for the remainder of my ownership with my BH...but I'm wondering. Maybe a door lock should be a simple but strong device able to withstand the abuse that a 5th wheel door lock has to take. Simple may be better.

Dumboldles

danemayer

Make sure you don't have a problem with the door or latch plate. The deadbolt should turn easily by hand from the inside.

brianlajoie

I had a problem with my RV lock. I couldn't turn the deadbolt to unlock it. Turned so hard that I broke the key. Jim and I took the lock apart in Tucson and called RV lock. We (mostly Jim) used a little graphite lube on the locking mechanism and it loosened up. Put the lock back on the trailer and no problems since Tuscon rally (last February). RV lock replaced my key that I broke. :) Great Service!