4100 vs. 4200??

Caitybug

My husband are looking to buy either the Cyclone 4100 or the 4200. I realize the 4200 is a brand new model, so most people probably don't know a lot about it, but I'm looking for any input/feedback from other 4100 owners who may be looking into the 4200. I had the chance to walk through the 4100 and loved it, but the online pictures of the 4200 look great also! I'm wondering if the 4200 really has a smaller bedroom, or if it just looks that way in the pics. I'm also wondering what others' thoughts are on the two patios. I like the idea of having two of them, but just not sure if we would use both, once we get in there. Also, since there is one less slide on the 4200 and the extra patio, I'm assuming the 4200 is lacking quite a bit of space on the inside as compared to the 4100, but I'm trying to figure out where this space is bring compromised, since it's hard to tell from the pics. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

danemayer

Hi Caitybug,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here who are quick to reach out when you need answers.

There have been reports of a few 4200s seen at recent RV shows. Hopefully some of the people who have seen the 4200 can give you some feedback based on their walk throughs.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can't answer your specific questions, but did walk through the 4200 at the show this weekend. Much more impressive in person than in pics! It was full of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

I looked at the 4200 last weekend at the Austin show. I love the concept of the side patio, and I could see it being used when there is no room for the rear patio or when there is room for both. The two full baths would be great for some people but not for us since we rarely use the 1/2 bath in ours. Overall I like the 4200 as a different floorplan but there are a few compromises like the kitchen slide. We also love the dual entries to the bathroom on the 4100 and that would be difficult to give up.

DocFather

With the rear full bath, I do not see the need for the "hallway" door for the front Master Bath. There is no privacy when walking from the bed to the bathroom. Too bad they could not have the Bedroom access to the bathroom or maybe relocate the bedroom door to the stairway area. My own taste does not see the need for a side patio, definitely not at the expense of the kitchen slider and the "refer" on the opposite side from the cooking area. . When I walked through the 4200 I did not think the Bedroom was any smaller than my 4100 aside from the Bathroom pocket door. The 4200 was unique and impressive, but not something I would have any interest in.

alex00

My husband are looking to buy either the Cyclone 4100 or the 4200. I realize the 4200 is a brand new model, so most people probably don't know a lot about it, but I'm looking for any input/feedback from other 4100 owners who may be looking into the 4200. I had the chance to walk through the 4100 and loved it, but the online pictures of the 4200 look great also! I'm wondering if the 4200 really has a smaller bedroom, or if it just looks that way in the pics. I'm also wondering what others' thoughts are on the two patios. I like the idea of having two of them, but just not sure if we would use both, once we get in there. Also, since there is one less slide on the 4200 and the extra patio, I'm assuming the 4200 is lacking quite a bit of space on the inside as compared to the 4100, but I'm trying to figure out where this space is bring compromised, since it's hard to tell from the pics. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

The 4100 has a unique bathroom layout with the tub on the living room/bathroom wall. The 4200 (4000, 3950 and 4114 as well) have the tub on the Off Door Side wall. The bedroom between the 4100 and those other units is not noticeably smaller. The difference I found was the bathroom door into the bedroom is only present on the 4100. The bathroom did feel a little bit smaller in the other units compared to the 4100, but only slightly.

I know how tough it is having to rely on pictures and other peoples thoughts about a floor plan. The dealers in my area didn't have any of the 4XXX models for the first ten months of my shopping.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
The 4200 vs. bedroom is only a couple of inches shorter than the 4100, but nothing that is actually noticeable in the unit (especially with the HUGE picture window, which in my opinion actually makes the 4200 look bigger). As far as the Bathrooms go the 4100 is by far the winner with the dual doors and a lot more space and storage. In the living area the 4200 is the clear winner when inside it. The 4200 seams much larger when inside it, because it does not have the center island sticking into the living space (both floor plans are maxed out at 429 sq. ft.). In the Kitchen (in my opinion) the 4200 is the winner with about the same counter top space, the 4200 has ALOT more storage, pull out trash can, raised island for barstools, pantry, and the option for the residential 23 cu ft. refrigerator that comes with 1000W inverter and two 6V deep cycle battery's, the mini fridge for the patio is also excess able from the kitchen so it can also be used for more kitchen refrigeration (which is over doubles that of the 4100). The garage area's the 4100 has more un-obstructed space however in the 4200 we managed to leave enough space between the 2nd bathroom wall and the out side wall to fit a side X side or golf cart. The 4200 definitely has the better 2nd bath with the industry's first 2nd full bath, IPO the 1/2 bath that comes in the 4100. The side patio is all bonus space on the 4200 (above and beyond the 429 sq. ft. of living space), the wall inside the patio is actually an exterior wall, so you can leave your side patio down even in wet conditions. If you choose to leave your camp site all you need to do is lock the sliding glass door on the side and not worry about having to close it up every time you leave. The patio area also has a 40" flat screen tv, out side refrigerator, and the TV baggage door comes down to act as a small table top, the garage DVD player goes to the TV and exterior speakers, and there is a ton of LED lighting including inside the huge 20' awning above. A lot of people think they cant get into camp sites with the side patio, but it actually takes up less space than the awning does on the side. The nice thing about the patio built into the living space it brings interaction between the outside and inside camping experience. I know when we go camping typically your either inside or outside with no interaction between the two, the side patio with big sliding glass door changes all that. The other benefit is that you are also not tracking in dirt and grass into your unit because the patio is on an elevated plat form. However if you choose not to use your patio and leave up it does not affect the floor plan at all, and still gives you one of the best floor plans in the industry. I hope this information helps you for your search. 4100= better main bath, better garage space, slightly larger bedroom, lighter weight 4200= better living space, 2nd full bath, better kitchen, side patio, more storage, and 20,000GVWR

scottyb

Thanks for the very informative description AJ. I heard you were at the Austin show, on another thread. Sorry I missed meeting you. I was there on Sat and it was very busy. Since I wasn't in the market, I didn't bother anybody.

We had a chance to meet AJ at the Austin show and tour the new 4200, very nice especially if you have a lot of friends or family to camp with. The size of the master bedroom is more than enough with the king size bed, although it was stated that it is slightly smaller than a 4100, the big window makes it appear just as big. Another nice feature in the bedroom is the tv sliding arm, extending out from above the washer dryer closet; pretty cool. In the living area what caught my eye are the corner cabinets in the couch slide out, something I really like, it accents the slide nicely. As for the wife and I we went with the 4114 because of the garage size, just wish we could of waited a little longer and had some of the features that are coming around now such as the corner cabinets, they look nice!

Last edited:

Caitybug

Thank you all for all the great info and input, this helps a lot!! Still not sure which one we're going to end up going with, but helps to know the pros and cons of each. I appreciate all the great feedback!!

One other quick question - on one of the other threads, someone mentioned that the garage is smaller on the 4200 and can't hold nearly as much as the 4100. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks again!

Caitybug

Thank you all for all the great info and input, this helps a lot!! Still not sure which one we're going to end up going with, but helps to know the pros and cons of each. I appreciate all the great feedback!!

One other quick question - on one of the other threads, someone mentioned that the garage is smaller on the 4200 and can't hold nearly as much as the 4100. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks again!

Oh, never mind, just saw the answer to my garage question in AJ's response. Thanks again :)

Took a private factory tour today with John (AJ's brother) and Scott. Thanks to both of them for their time and the great tour. Loved taking it while production was going on. We were there to look at a 3800 which we were unable to see at home in St. Louis. We were comparing it to the 4100.
So here is the news, both the 4100 and 3800 now have the sliding hidden TV and picture window in the bedroom just like the 4200.
None of this is shown on the website and some dealers may be unaware of the changes. Find out who your dealers sales rep is and make a call they will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Now like before we aw the 3800 we need to make our decision.

alex00

Took a private factory tour today with John (AJ's brother) and Scott. Thanks to both of them for their time and the great tour. Loved taking it while production was going on. We were there to look at a 3800 which we were unable to see at home in St. Louis. We were comparing it to the 4100.
So here is the news, both the 4100 and 3800 now have the sliding hidden TV and picture window in the bedroom just like the 4200.
None of this is shown on the website and some dealers may be unaware of the changes. Find out who your dealers sales rep is and make a call they will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Now like before we aw the 3800 we need to make our decision.

I was talking to one of the factory reps today. He said they made the change two weeks ago. My trailer was built two weeks and a day ago. I am waiting to see if it comes with the new window and sliding TV mount. I'm really hoping it arrives at the dealership tomorrow or Wednesday. The wait is killing me.

DiverB

WOW that's great info. I cant buy until I get home in Sept and that means the 4100 that I get should be a late made 2014 or early 2015 with that cool sliding TV, very exciting stuff! Any word on LED lighting under the awning like on the Raptors and Voltage?

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
We walked through the 4200 at the Houston show. It is much nicer in person and we did like it. However there would need to be changes made for me to purchase.

Get rid of the full bath in the rear and turn the tub area into a 1/2 bath as a 9' garage is useless to me. I would rather have the space of the 12' garage. My RZR won't fit in anything less then a 10' garage.

Build the side patio so that the wall is still on a slide. The lack of the 2nd slide in the living area really hurts the space in there. We have found that only one slide in the Living is horrible when you have 4 or more grown ups staying in the trailer.

Increase the GVWR to either 20klbs - 22klbs.

7k axles with EoH brakes Option

17.5 wheel package option.

Gray water holding to 100 gallons

Fresh to 150 gallons.

50 Gallon Fuel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

There is the LED lighting under the awnings, I was told they are adjustable so you can point them a the unit or out to the seating area. Also for all those who were asking for a light by the rear door, it is now there. Broyhill furniture and I was told electric recliners but did not see them in action. R6 coaxial cable is now standard and they will install HDMI if requested.

pharmafrog

Just saw the 4200 today. We wanted to compare it to the 4100. I love them both but they r not perfect. Aj's decription is spot on. I will say the 4200 is better in person than I thought. The open living space is my favorite but not sure we can part with the 4100's master bath or give up the extra space in the garage. I'm still having trouble deciding but the price difference is pushing me to the 4100. I have not seen any 2014 4100's with the big bedroom window. And a big question I have is how do you make the bottom queen bed in the garage sleep able? It is very uncomfortable as a bed.

DocFather

Frogman - fyi - the 2014 4100 has the smaller window in the MBR. The 2015 is the one with the larger window (jealous, I am)

Moor2it

New 5th Wheeler
We were considering the same question as you have 4200 vs. 4100. We "thought" we had made up our mind to go with the 4200 but wanted to see it in person. When to a dealer that had a 4200 and 4100 (+ lots more) and did a walk through. The 4200 is impressive, BUT it sacrifices much of the kitchen storage for the side porch feature. We have two teenagers and typically load up the cupboards to feed them and their friends that often go with us. The 4100 had more storage and the unit on the lot had almost the same bedroom as the 4200 (hide away TV and bigger window). I preferred the standard door to the garage in the 4200 vs. the sliding glass door in the 4100. Wasted space in my mind. Weight of the 4200 vs. the 4100 was a concern as well. We have a SRW GMC and while we can't load-out the 4100 (no toys :rolleyes: yet) the 4200 is ~1000 heavier dry. Eventually we'll move up when we kick out the teenagers and put in toys but for now we were not ready to move up to the DRW.

The dealer made us a good offer on our trade and we went with the 4100.