50 amp 75ft cord

Pakelu

We are moving to a new spot in our community and are wanting to run our power about 75ft. We currently have a 25ft 50 amp cord. Do we need to purchase a 75ft cord or can we get a 50ft extension cord? If we do, any suggestions on where to get a 75ft 50 amp cord? Seems a little hard to come by. I was thinking that the cord had to be a specific gauge to run it over a longer length. Thanks!

ParkIt

Welcome Pakelu to the Heart Land forums :)

The electrical guys will chime in soon enough though my preference would be to not have two cords extended, its a weak spot for the current flow and damage to travel to your BC. Is there any way you can get a closer hook up? I do have a 100' 50amp cord (its heavy!) that I picked up when I bought my RV, was too expensive then to let go of and glad I didn't though I wouldn't want to be on it very long. Even heat from the sun can damage the current flow to my unit on that length.
I'm wondering what folks have for advice on a 30 amp instead though it depends on where you are and what you use in your unit. The AC running often? Microwave and other appliances also used often? If so I'd be a bit wary of running a 30 amp, I'd keep the use to propane and 12 volt lights with very light use on the microwave.

Pretty sure someone will correct me on that soon enough and help you out.

scottyb

I use a 50' extension with my 35' cord a lot. I made it using 6-4 SO cable. I also have a 10' cord for hooking up at home since I built my service pedestal close to the UDC.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you use #6 copper wire, which is what our 50 amp cord is, at 100 feet of length, using 50 amps, you will experience a 4% voltage drop.
That will leave you with 115.2 volts, which is still plenty to be able to run anything you want.
This, of course is based on your supply voltage of 120 volts.
You could drop down to about 105 volts and still be okay.

Peace
Dave

RuralPastor

Considering an average load of 40 amps (actual usage) with #6 AWG copper at 100 foot long, your voltage drop will be 3.93127 volts. This is not significant.

pegmikef

Is this a permanent or temporary hookup such as in between trips for short periods. If permanent, I would go with the correct gauge 75 foot cord. For temporary, I would probably just buy an extension.

Pakelu

Is this a permanent or temporary hookup such as in between trips for short periods. If permanent, I would go with the correct gauge 75 foot cord. For temporary, I would probably just buy an extension.

Thanks the responses! This is a permanent move. We live in our our rv fulltime and we will more than likely be in this spot for about 9-10 months. Should the cords be labeled with the gauge on them? It seems like we will go for a 75ft cord. Is it typical for that cord to be #8?

Gaffer

#8 copper will not be protected by a 50 amp circuit breaker. If you end up using a #8 cord anywhere in the chain between the circuit breaker and the coach, change the breaker to 40 amp.

pegmikef

For that distance and amperage and probable use, I would certainly stick with six gauge, because full timing, you will most likely be using everything in your rig. I was thinking if you were temporary (a couple of days for loading/unloading, etc), you could probably get away with a little lighter cord. I don't suppose there is any way you could run conduit and wire an outlet closer to your rig is there? That way you could use single strand wire which would be a lot cheaper than the prewired extensions.