5500 Generator. Error codes

Mullins

I have a '15 Cyclone with a 5500 Onan, which exhausts out the driver side (factory installed). It has only 14.5 hours. We went dry camping for the first time this past weekend, turned the genset on and it ran for about 5 minutes then shut down. Looking at the codes, 3 (service Code) then 5-8(58) which is "Exhaust Gas Temperature Shutdown" I looked thru some of the post regarding the 5500 and found nothing that spoke about this. The senerio is that I live at 4500' level and I have run the genset at this level and at 3300' No problems, My camping trip took me to ~5800' to Lake Tahoe. I did set the altitude switch to 5000' but I got the same result. When I got back to ~4500' I ran the generator, same result, same error codes. Anyone out there ever experience this before?:(:confused:. P.S. Since this is my first time dry camping, I am in the habit of running generator while at home at least once a month for about 15 to 20 minutes just to keep the juices flowing.. hence the low hrs..
Thanks

carl.swoyer

Elevation can affect the genset but is the blower running on the genset?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

I have run the generator (same unit) at altitudes from 1400 to 9000 and not had altitude issues. Does the gas have a stabilizer in it? Other than that I am stumped also but you should still be under warranty.

avvidclif

The Onan 5500 has a 3 year warranty, starting the day you purchased the RV. I would avoid the RV places and look for an authorized Onan service center. The RV dealer wanted 3 weeks to get to it, the service center took 2 days to fix it. I picked it up on the 3rd day after I dropped it off. And he ran it for 6.5 hours to verify the intermittent was fixed.

Mullins

Sorry, but I have looked at the installation manual and operations manual, the word blower does not exist in either, perhaps you have a different year than mine that required a blower..

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, checking with heartland to see if it's still under warranty. When it shuts down, there is no notice like it's running out of gas or choking, it just quits. I'm stumped as well, but the code "58" tells me I have real heating problem..

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, checking with Heartland for the Warranty, We do have an Onan repair shop here, already checked that out. Waiting for Heartland to get back to me..
The Onan 5500 has a 3 year warranty, starting the day you purchased the RV. I would avoid the RV places and look for an authorized Onan service center. The RV dealer wanted 3 weeks to get to it, the service center took 2 days to fix it. I picked it up on the 3rd day after I dropped it off. And he ran it for 6.5 hours to verify the intermittent was fixed.

avvidclif

I never got Heartland involved with my generator problem. I went straight to Onan and they fixed it.

Lynn1130

The "blower" confused me too. Never heard of it on my generator but then a lot of things surprise me at times..

You don't need to talk to Heartland. They will tell you to take it to an Onan certified repair shop for repairs. Each item in the trailer is under warranty from the manufacturer not Heartland.

carl.swoyer

How's about "fan" it circulates the outside air into the genset box providing cooling air.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

avvidclif

The cooling fan is bolted to the pulley that drives the generator. I guess the bolts could have backed out and the fan is just laying in the bottom of the lower shroud. It may be visible from the bottom, if so see if it moves when starting.

Mullins

Here is an update on my Generator Saga: Onan dealer service replaced the "Hight Temp Sensor", but after running test after test, the generator was not producing the watts it should be a full load. After scratching their heads and getting engineers involved then doing compression checks, it was determined that there must be something wrong with a piston or ring, something going on in the heart of the engine. I spoke with them regarding this and mentioned that if it were a broken ring or something to that effect, i'd be blowing smoke, they agreed, but it the exhaust was clean. Never the less they decided to replace the engine at the expense of Onan. Apparently it's easier/cheaper to change the engine then to rebuild. They even mentioned the old adage: Never buy an engine that was built on a Friday/Monday or holiday weekend.:cool::cool: