5th Wheel Pin Weights and Truck Payloads

Speedy

Re: Bigger is always better . . . yeah . . . right!

I changed it to read as it came from my brain. "I explain that it can pull it, but now tow it..."

Sorry, quite a delay as I type.

Exactly . . . ! ???
. John, out of curiosity, what doyou get for mileage with that combo engine and rear end plus 4wd? like to know solo too, took one out for trial, liked it but the 410 scared me off

Rollin_Free

Bohemian: Great post. I didn't know "You get an allocation of 150 lbs. for the driver, anything above 150 lbs. is part of the payload." That was a surprise and the first time I have seen that information. So the next time I weigh my rig I will make sure to be in the truck the whole time and only have to allow 50 or so lbs (HA!) to be part of the payload numbers. While it's not a lot of weight it gets me a generator in the bed of the truck as part of the payload. I'm not that close right now to my TV limits with existing 5er however I am looking at a Sundance 2900RK with a hitch weight of 1715lbs (from the factory) so I'm already crunching numbers to make sure I have a 250lb buffer for payload.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

. John, out of curiosity, what do you get for mileage with that combo engine and rear end plus 4wd? like to know solo too, took one out for trial, liked it but the 410 scared me off

Don't know why I've not seen this yet . . . guess I didn't get an email notification . . .

Anyway, I get 13 MPG empty and around 9 MPG towing the Prowler.

Happens far too often. I've been towing for 10 years now and my brother-in-law who hasn't towed anything heavier than a snowmobile trailer will not listen to me. It's frustrating.

iwest7

On our first trip to Red River, NM the 2014 Ram 3500 DRW 4WD(Aisin transmission with 3.73 gears) had 1300 miles on the odometer. On the way to Red River, NM the RW425 pulled extremelywell with a full tank of water. The truck and trailer were weighed at a CATscale the weekend before the trip. The weights are listed below.

2015 Road Warrior 425 RT with a full water tank,fuel, and 2Klb UTV weighed: 18,840 lbs (included everything except clothes, food or drinks)
Pin weight: 3,160 lbs
2014 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Laramie Longhorn DRW 4WD Aisin 3.73gears: 9,480 lbs
GCWR of truck + trailer = 28,320 lbs
Tow Vehicle Steer Axle: 5,400 lbs
Tow Vehicle Drive Axle w/ trailer: 7,240 lbs
Tow Vehicle Drive Axle without trailer: 4,080 lbs

On the way to Red River, NM we broke the trip into two legs. The RV water tank was full. We stayed overnight in Amarillo and then drove into Red River the following day. On the way to Red River, NM we battled a15-20 mph headwind/crosswind.
Average fuel economy:
55 mph: 9 mpg
60 mph: 8.5 mpg
On the return trip we decided to drive straight through toOklahoma. TheR V water tank was empty on the way home. On the way back we battled 30 mph crosswinds.
Average fuel economy:
55 mph: 9 mpg
65 mph: 7.5 mpg
70 mph: 6.5 mpg
The truck and trailer handled beautifully. Please note that I had to lock thetransmission out in fifth gear as sixth gear would not maintain speed throughthe hills of western Oklahoma. The extra weight associated with the watertank did not affect the fuel mileage. The biggest factors influencing fuel mileage appear to be crosswinds/headwinds, terrain and the speed of the tow vehicle.

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Red River is awesome!

carl.swoyer

On a side note. I use Lucas fuel additive in My 05 2500 hd Silverado lly 6.6 with the Allison. I get 11 to 12 mpg at 62 mph . Towing a 2012 landmark Rushmore.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk