614 Blowout

VMooreSR

Didn't get 50 miles from home in 59* weather and bang, inspected them, checked air pressure all was good. Took out the fender skirt,does heartland have these in stock?

image.jpg image.jpg

Jim.Allison

I got an estimate, insurance paid 2k for the damage, but my rim was also damaged. They sent the check directly to me, The body shop was able to get the panel, and the plastic fender mold from heartland, I went ahead and let them fix it, but should not have, the work was very easy and I could have done the job myself (better) on a saturday morning. My part came preformed and painted, the fender flair was easy to install the dealer screwed up the install I had to reinstall it was so easy, i cannot figure out how the dealer messed up the repair. Anyway thats my story and I'm stickin to it.

Didn't get 50 miles from home in 59* weather and bang, inspected them, checked air pressure all was good. Took out the fender skirt,does heartland have these in stock?

View attachment 32266 View attachment 32267

RoadJunkie

What was the manufacturing date on the blown out tire? Might want to check date on remaining tires?

VMooreSR

Thanks to all for the replies. Bought another tire in Odessa TX from Wing foot as they had one in stock. Filled out the forms to send the bad tire to Goodyear. We will see what they say and do.
Hope that's all the bad luck for this weekend, on our way to the Cowboy-Texans game, GO TEXANS!!! Lol

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
When our 614 blew GY paid for new tires and all costs to repair our rig. Came to almost $2,800....

Bobby A

I certainly would be interested in what Goodyear says the cause of the failure was, please post back with any info you might get. Thanks

danemayer

Our turn. One of our Goodyear G614s threw the tread in-between Lubbock and Tye, TX. Along the way I noticed that the TPMS was showing that tire about 10 psi lower than the others, but holding stable. Didn't hear anything. The tire didn't blow out or go flat. Probably drove 100 miles before stopping for lunch where we noticed the damage to the j-wrap.

Ironically, we were going to put new tires on next week after arriving in Bullard.

Btw, the 4 point leveling system did a very nice job getting the wheel off the ground. And yes, those tires are pretty heavy.

2014-10-03 13.06.06.jpg2014-10-03 13.06.18.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-10-03 13.06.06.jpg
    2014-10-03 13.06.06.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 111

pegmikef

How old were these tires that are blowing? I know a couple of folks that had 614 blowouts, but their tires were several years old.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
My experience with G614's is that I only had blow outs or tire deformation (broken belts) after 20,000 to 25,000 miles and/or 2 1/2 years of age. We average about 10,000 miles per year on our trailer. That is why I replaced them with G114's. Dan, if you think G614's are heavy, G114's are even heavy-er!

ChangingPlaces

I dread having a blowout. I check the pressures all the time, but obviously you can still have a blowout. It,s the damage it can cause, it would certainly ruin your day.

marvmarcy

Based on comments on this forum and the Escapees, the GY614s have very few problems until they are over 3yrs and 25,000 miles. After that the risk rises more rapidly with time and mileage. I took off my GY614s late last month. They were about 3 1/2 years old with 24,000 miles on them. They still had plenty of tread and no cracks or other obvious damage, but I kept them to put on the fiver when I sell/trade it. I put on GY114s on 17.5" wheels for a total cost of $2600. I'm really glad I did that because we had an emergency run from MT to NC (2750 miles) in four days at 70+ mph. The 614s are only rated for 65mph, and I probably would have had a tire problem . The GY114s are rated for 74 mph.

asherwin

Based on comments on this forum and the Escapees, the GY614s have very few problems until they are over 3yrs and 25,000 miles. After that the risk rises more rapidly with time and mileage. I took off my GY614s late last month. They were about 3 1/2 years old with 24,000 miles on them. They still had plenty of tread and no cracks or other obvious damage, but I kept them to put on the fiver when I sell/trade it. I put on GY114s on 17.5" wheels for a total cost of $2600. I'm really glad I did that because we had an emergency run from MT to NC (2750 miles) in four days at 70+ mph. The 614s are only rated for 65mph, and I probably would have had a tire problem . The GY114s are rated for 74 mph.

As per Good Year site the GY614s are rated for 75 mph. Good comments and food for thought when my 614s get a little older and acquire more mileage.

Attachments

• gyg614 specs.jpg
    gyg614 specs.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 35

Jim.Allison

The cracuss is very durable and retreadable (if you catch them before slinging all the rubber off them). Tires just sometimes fail. I lost a wrangler on a suburban to delamination, very much the same way as in the photo.

G614's are rated to 75 MPH (Link to Goodyear's site, click the Tire Specs tab).

Note sure about the 25,000 mile claim, either. We've got 32,000 on ours (31,608 to be more precise) and they're doing fine (granted, they're less than two years old).

CrazyCooter

Glad you got away with minimal damage. A fender is an easy fix!

Did your dealer have any issues getting the old tire on/off the rim?

I have mounted both G614's on my Cyclone and Sailun S637's on a customer's Bighorn and they were the tightest fit. Both have OEM installed Sendel wheels.......I doubt I could get one back off without damaging the wheel or tire. It looks like the wheel could use a little more drop in the center for these thick beads.

Thinking a machine for runflats may assist?