a/c ducting whisper quiet a/c

Kathi-27

just had our rear a/c unit replaced. freezing up and not cooling very well over 90 degrees. had the tech double check ducting from a/c to duct. found it wasn't done very good at factory, alot of leaks. redid the transition and tape up all the leaks. has never had that much air flow before. can feel air 1-2 feet from vent. had trouble keeping rv below 80 degrees when was in the 90's before. now a/c cycles like it should and can get down to low 70's with no problem. there seems to be a problem with the factory not knowing how to work with ducting or doesn't care.

sdwelling

It's a factory. Push it out, let the customer complain if it's not right. Hopefully they won't find "it."

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
just had our rear a/c unit replaced. freezing up and not cooling very well over 90 degrees. had the tech double check ducting from a/c to duct. found it wasn't done very good at factory, alot of leaks. redid the transition and tape up all the leaks. has never had that much air flow before. can feel air 1-2 feet from vent. had trouble keeping rv below 80 degrees when was in the 90's before. now a/c cycles like it should and can get down to low 70's with no problem. there seems to be a problem with the factory not knowing how to work with ducting or doesn't care.

What model and floorplan do you have? How did they seal up leaks? (Did they do it with the unit removed?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kathi-27

What model and floorplan do you have? How did they seal up leaks? (Did they do it with the unit removed?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 3875fb yes they found the duct problem when they had the unit off to replace it. the only way to get excess is with unit removed. found someone on the forum had this problem so had them inspect it when they had it off. suspected there was a problem cause didn't have good air flow out of vents in living area. was good in bedroom and bathroom. had to run front a/c at upper 60 degrees to keep living area at 78-80 degrees when over 90 degrees outside. rear a/c was just not keeping up. now just the rear a/c by it self will cool living area to 80 degrees without the help of the front unit. with both can get living area down to low 70's. can feel air up to 16-24 inches from vents now. could hardly feel air before unless front unit was also on. they used silver backed a/c tape.

bob.karen

took our new 3870fb out on its maiden camping trip this weekend. it was in the 90,s all weekend. not only did the a/c's struggle to keep up, but they are extremely noisy. then they start a oscillating rumble. some vents have decent airflow coming out of them and some have none. anyone else have this issue? any advise?

thanks
bob and karen c.

Kathi-27

took our new 3870fb out on its maiden camping trip this weekend. it was in the 90,s all weekend. not only did the a/c's struggle to keep up, but they are extremely noisy. then they start a oscillating rumble. some vents have decent airflow coming out of them and some have none. anyone else have this issue? any advise?

thanks
bob and karen c.
rv a/c are a little noisy. you will get use to it and really won't notice it. scroll through the a/c section you will find several ideas on a/c. also look at heat and a/c operation guide in the tools section has good info. we have found that the bedroom gets about 4 degrees cooler than the living room. so we set the bed room 3-4 degrees cooler than the living room and have a tower fan at the top of steps blowing towards the living room. helps a lot. do not use ceiling fan when using a/c. found it hampers a/c operation. when it gets to in the 90's all rv's a/c have to work hard to keep unit real cool but they should at least be comfortable.

bob.karen

rv a/c are a little noisy. you will get use to it and really won't notice it. scroll through the a/c section you will find several ideas on a/c. also look at heat and a/c operation guide in the tools section has good info. we have found that the bedroom gets about 4 degrees cooler than the living room. so we set the bed room 3-4 degrees cooler than the living room and have a tower fan at the top of steps blowing towards the living room. helps a lot. do not use ceiling fan when using a/c. found it hampers a/c operation. when it gets to in the 90's all rv's a/c have to work hard to keep unit real cool but they should at least be comfortable.

i did finally get better. but while laying in bed the bed vibrates when the a/c is on. and that rumble is terrible... i will check out the other posts for ideas. thank you very much

bob.karen

why do some vents have airflow and some dont?

danemayer

i thought the rectangle ones were return and the round ones supply. each unit has 2 rectangle ones with looks like a mesh filter
The rectangular ones are returns. The round ones are cold air into the living area. I noticed in June that new units on display at the Goshen Rally had rectangular returns.

esscobra

yes that's correct- over dec shutdown - they started the new roof truss/insulation design with the new duct design that way- 2 returns and the round ones are output- mine was one of the first to have it when factory restated production

clark261

A ducted AC system distributes cool air throughout the RV using a network of ducts that run along the ceiling. In the ceiling of such a unit, there are numerous vents or ducts. These ducts are joined together using flexible foil furnace duct pipe or sheet metal ducting that looks like it belongs in a house.

2019_V22

A ducted AC system distributes cool air throughout the RV using a network of ducts that run along the ceiling. In the ceiling of such a unit, there are numerous vents or ducts. These ducts are joined together using flexible foil furnace duct pipe or sheet metal ducting that looks like it belongs in a house.
A nonsense reply to a 5 year old thread....

Jtleng

just had our rear a/c unit replaced. freezing up and not cooling very well over 90 degrees. had the tech double check ducting from a/c to duct. found it wasn't done very good at factory, a lot of leaks. redid the transition and tape up all the leaks. has never had that much air flow before. can feel air 1-2 feet from vent. had trouble keeping rv below 80 degrees when was in the 90's before. now a/c cycles like it should and can get down to low 70's with no problem. there seems to be a problem with the factory not knowing how to work with ducting or doesn't care.
Hey, I know this is an old post but looking around the site this is the closest thing I could find to the issue I was having with my 2020 heartland trailer.
long story short, when I ran the AC on high and the vent on the unit closed to push the air through the vents,, there was hardly any airflow through the vents at the front of the trailer since I purchased it.
This weekend the roof membrane started filling with air causing it to balloon.
Removed the AC cover from inside and saw Styrofoam was pushed down blocking the vents and the plywood portion of the roof was visible. also found a bag with red rubber parts in the vent that is more than likely missing from where it should have been installed, hmm..
Moved the Styrofoam out of the way of the ducts and re-taped everything.
Now there is great volume of air flow out of all vents and the ballooning in the roof has gone away.
Due to their poor construction and lack of QC this has ruined the membrane on the roof. Very disappointed.
Has anyone else had this issue?
Thank you!
.roof ballooning.jpgleft vent.jpgleft vent 2.jpgright vent.jpg

Last edited:

Dahillbilly

Hey, I know this is an old post but looking around the site this is the closest thing I could find to the issue I was having with my 2020 heartland trailer.
long story short, when I ran the AC on high and the vent on the unit closed to push the air through the vents,, there was hardly any airflow through the vents at the front of the trailer since I purchased it.
This weekend the roof membrane started filling with air causing it to balloon.
Removed the AC cover from inside and saw Styrofoam was pushed down blocking the vents and the plywood portion of the roof was visible. also found a bag with red rubber parts in the vent that is more than likely missing from where it should have been installed, hmm..
Moved the Styrofoam out of the way of the ducts and re-taped everything.
Now there is great volume of air flow out of all vents and the ballooning in the roof has gone away.
Due to their poor construction and lack of QC this has ruined the membrane on the roof. Very disappointed.
Has anyone else had this issue?
Thank you!
.View attachment 67337View attachment 67336View attachment 67335View attachment 67334
I would call Heartland customer service explain the details and with your pictures see what they say. Have the last six numbers of your VIN handy when you call. Nothing to loose except a phone call. Good luck

Jtleng

Thank you for the reply,
I did call Heartland and they told me it was not their problem because my trailer was out of warranty. My thought on this is that this should be considered a structural issue and covered by Heartland. Another issue with this scenario is that the picture shows the wires are rubbing against the metal frame and could cause a failure or even a fire. The wires are too tight to move. These trailers sit for months and are not used, and the warranty expires.