A new direction with a Rod and Custom Shop

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
WooooooHoooooooo..... The building arrived today, 9468.9 lbs of it. I have stuff scattered over about a half acre doing inventory and laying stuff out.

I couldn't wait until tomorrow to start putting things up so I have 7 of the posts bolted to the concrete now and put a couple girts in place. So far so good, haven't had to make any adjustments for any of the anchor bolts built into the slab yet, they are spot on so far.

P6010046.jpg

P6010049.jpg

P6010050.jpg

pmmjarrett

Well gee thanks Mike!

Anytime. Nooooooo problem. I'm always ready to help someone out with their cash surplus problems. LOL

Got a bit more done today. These 95*F + days are killing me. Tomorrow I'm going to tackle one of the hardest parts of this building which is hanging the trusses. The trusses on the end walls ain't too bad at 150 lbs each but the main truss in the center is going to be a bugger to mess with at 426 lbs.

p6020054.jpg

The new tool boxes fit nicely under the lowest girt too. This will save me about 6" of floor space.
P6020058.jpg

pmmjarrett

Spent half the morning in town and finally got a little bit done. Slapped a home made truss extention for the skid loader together out of a couple 8' pieces of 4x6 and a couple 1/2 x 6" eye bolts and 2 ratchet straps on each fork, works really good. Well enough for me to install the truss by myself without fighting with it.
P6030005.jpg

Got the main truss installed.
P6030002.jpg

pmmjarrett

Good work on a home made lift. BTW, why did you take pix in dark???

A strange thing happened to me. At 3:30PM I came in the house, made a samich, sat in my recliner and the next thing I knew, my samich was gone and it was 8PM... Musta been a time warp.:rolleyes:

pmmjarrett

Making progress a little at a time.

I assembled and installed the end wall trusses, took a nap and went back out and installed one girt and a couple of braces.

P6040007.jpg

P6040005.jpg

P6040002.jpg

pmmjarrett

Thanks Jim.

I ain't gonna be able to bring this project to the rally. Y'all have a great time in Goshen. Say hello to everybody for me.

Everyone travel safe. It's better to be late than not make it at all.

wonka

I am curious, are you lining the building? I have a little experience with these buildings, and when the girts are hung with the interior leg up, they collect alot of dust, as well as giving the birds a better roosting spot if the doors are left open. Sorry I missed the updates on the building, meant to offer some incite if you wanted.
Bill

pmmjarrett

Thanks Bill. Any advise is always appreciated. Interior leg up is exactly how the blueprints show the girts and the easiest way to mount them to the columns. Leg down would be easier to clean but a real pain in the rear to hang, especially for a one man show like me. I'm putting this building together 100% by myself.

No liner in this building. All she is getting right now is Solargaurd radiant barrier on the roof. Eventually I may insulate it with w retrofit kit that will cover the girts and purlins from the inside but have no plans at all for a steel liner. Bird nests and dust in the shop is nothing new, at least I will have doors and windows now and won't be able to look through holes in the siding.

The old shed was hurting to say the least.

wonka

I never thought about doing it as a one man show, that would make things a bit challenging, I ran a couple six man crews and we could do one of these in four days, lined and insulated. So I gotta admire your determination. Without some help, those purlins are going to be a real PIA, wish I was closer, miss standing steel and wouldn't mind helping out for a couple of wobbly pops. Staging the erection like you are, do you have any issues with wind? Here in Alberta, we had to brace the crap out of them so they were still there the next morning. Looks like you are doing a great job, any experience standing steel?
Bill

pmmjarrett

I never thought about doing it as a one man show, that would make things a bit challenging, I ran a couple six man crews and we could do one of these in four days, lined and insulated. So I gotta admire your determination. Without some help, those purlins are going to be a real PIA, wish I was closer, miss standing steel and wouldn't mind helping out for a couple of wobbly pops. Staging the erection like you are, do you have any issues with wind? Here in Alberta, we had to brace the crap out of them so they were still there the next morning. Looks like you are doing a great job, any experience standing steel?
Bill

6 guys in 4 days........ Glad I gave myself 4 weeks. LOL

Nope, never built anything like this. I'm as green as a greenhorn can be doing any kind of construction work. My experience with metal fab is shipfitting, sheetmetal fab, autobody and welding. I studied CAD drafting and can read blueprints. I'm very familiar with the wind in Alberta spent a lot of time up there, AB was one of my favorite areas to deliver too when I was trucking and transporting RVs. I specialized in running stuff up into western Canada and running in arctic temps, have been on the ice roads a couple times. Winds here are usually pretty light and forcast to be light for next 10 days. Been keeping a close eye on the weather forcast daily for rain and wind.

You ever get down this way, drop by for the night and I'll have the wobbly pop on ice fer ya, just call in the order for your flavor enroute and it'll be ready when you get here.

Got 11 Purlins put up today. Bit of a pain but not too bad. Will get the last 3 up tomorrow. With any luck I should have the framing done this week. Now it's time to stuff the belly with some pasta and have a cold one. Cheers.

P6060003.jpg

P6060006.jpg

P6060007.jpg

Moose

If you like Pina Colada's . . . . . . LoL

Great work. Looking good.

Please be safe, especially working alone.