AC fan not working

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Turned on the AC and the fan is not blowing. When I turn the thermostat to fan only you can hear a click like it's trying to come on, but nothing. When I turn on AC, the motor starts but there is no air blowing. I have checked the breaker and fuse and they are ok. I also read the user guide, but it doesn't really address the fan.

Any ideas or will we have to get a Dealer to repair?

Thanks,

Nancy Anderson
North Texas Chapter Leader

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

danemayer

Hi Nancy,

If you remove the return duct cover in the ceiling, you'll be better able to hear what's happening. There's a control box up there where the thermostat wiring connects. There's probably a relay that clicks when the thermostat tries to turn on the fan. You might just take a peek and see if there are any unplugged or partially plugged connectors. Care is required since you probably have to stand on a stepstool or ladder. If you open the control box, there's 110V AC inside. Getting shocked while on a ladder is bad.

Another thing you might do is get up on the roof and remove the shroud over the A/C unit to see if you've got mud daubers or something that's made a nest that's creating physical blockage.

Rickhansen

Also to add to Dan's comments, while you have the A/C cover off on the roof, you will be able to see the Condenser Fan blades - make sure it turns freely by hand. Both the condenser fan (outdoor) and the evaporator fan (indoor) are powered by the same motor. If it does, you can have someone turn the fan switch on, and spin it by hand at the same time (in the proper direction). It could be that the start capacitor has failed. If it takes off and runs on its own, that's the problem.

Needless to say, when you have the cover off and the circuit breaker on, there is high voltages present so be careful. There is also some risk of getting your finger whacked by the blade if it takes off and runs, so be careful.

Since your compressor runs, do not leave it on for more than a few seconds without the fan working.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired
Thanks for the fast replies. We will try these tomorrow. If they don't work, I'll call dometic and see if they will send a mobile tech since it's still under warranty.

Thanks,

Nancy Anderson
North Texas Chapter Leader

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
I have fixed this issue a number of times by leaving everything turned off or even unplug the unit. then remove cover, inside or outside your choice, spin fan by hand or pencil to free up. It seems that the sleeve bearings get gummy and stick. If outside just spray with WD 40 or similar.