Ac help in Louisiana humidity

KyleC

Hello all I have a heartland prowler 25lx and I am thinking about getting a portable ac to help out. We have the 13,500 btu unit I assume. Should we upgrade to the 15k or try different ideas? This past weekend we had fans all over the unit. Ac is blowing cold. Just can't keep up with the kids opening the doors!

2017 Pathfinder SL towing Heartland Prowler "lynx" 25lx
4816 lbs dry wieght

hoefler

Portable A/C will work, but you will have to exhuast the hot air outside, which in turns require make up air from some where, usually hot humid air from outside. You would be better off with a second roof A/C if possible or larger main A/C.

Roller4tan

Try installing lexan panels onto your screen door. I've used Velcro in the past, but if cut right, they'll fit in the channels on the door. Helps when hot or cool outside and we can keep main door open to see out.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hello all I have a heartland prowler 25lx and I am thinking about getting a portable ac to help out. We have the 13,500 btu unit I assume. Should we upgrade to the 15k or try different ideas? This past weekend we had fans all over the unit. Ac is blowing cold. Just can't keep up with the kids opening the doors!

4816 lbs dry wieght

Kyle unfortunately we never found anything when we had our bumper pull SOB. Some days even with two units they have a hard time keeping up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyleC

Looks like I'm going to just invest in an ice pack for my wife! Maybe some dry fit clothes! Our last two trips were a "bad time of the month" so I might plan the trip a month and a half from now

4816 lbs dry wieght

sengli

These RV air conditioner units are only rated to cool the coach down to approximately 20 degrees cooler than ambient. Plus the fact that RV's in general arent sealed up as tight as a sticks and bricks homes, I could see where the AC wouldnt keep up at times. What if you ran a de-humidifer..it might feel cooler in the rig?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Another thought you might consider is getting a dehumidifier. We use one a lot in AL and Florida which help pull the humidity out but it's hard when little ones continually run in and out of the camper. Good luck

KyleC

Thought about that. We have a few leftover from the flood in 2016

4816 lbs dry wieght

hoefler

These RV air conditioner units are only rated to cool the coach down to approximately 20 degrees cooler than ambient. Plus the fact that RV's in general arent sealed up as tight as a sticks and bricks homes, I could see where the AC wouldnt keep up at times. What if you ran a de-humidifer..it might feel cooler in the rig?

This is inaccurate. They are rated and expected to have a 20* differance across the coil/evaporator. If the out going air is 20* cooler than the incoming air, it is working as designed, this is measured at the A/C unit's intake and discharge, not the outlying vents.

Put a thermometer in the vent and see what the outlet air temperature is compared to outside air.
Maybe it isn't working as good as you think.
Also check and clean the evaporator on top, they get dirty pretty easy.

mlpeloquin

Looks like I'm going to just invest in an ice pack for my wife! Maybe some dry fit clothes! Our last two trips were a "bad time of the month" so I might plan the trip a month and a half from now

4816 lbs dry wieght

We have friends that purchased one of these. They put ice water and ice into it. Cooed a larger than advertised room. A must is to have an ice maker and refill with water as needed. A dehumidifier is a must, but boy does it cool down a room.

https://www.amazon.com/Ontel-AA-MC4...0313&sr=8-3&keywords=personal+air+conditioner