Ac problem.

Flooringit

I currently have 3 ac units on my cyclone 4000. I am running 2 at a time. But they both seem to freeze up and switch to fan a lot. It is humid here. 60-80 % most of the time. But the bedroom ac is getting hung up sometimes. When it switches from cool to can it will sit there and humm and hiss. I have to shut it off and wait a minute then itll work fine. I live about 90 minutes from colaw I’m prolly just gonna go get a new one unless someone knows it it’s a easy fix. Any ideas

also. I bought a new Dometic last summer for the main room but got a 13500 btu the living area is big. Should I get a 15000 for the main room. Move the 13500 for bedroom since it’s small? Does a 15000 cool off that much faster ? In the 95 degree heat it runs all day. It keep it cool but on thermostat set at 75 never shuts off

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

I'd probably swap the 13.5 into the bedroom and add a 15k to the living room. That's a pretty traditional arrangement.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
In high humidity I run the A/C fan on high instead of auto and i do not have any problem with the coils freezing.

Flooringit

When I bought trailer there was no filter on the unit and it was dirtiest I had ever seen. I cleaned it very good, put a filter on it. I may check it again. I will try running on hi. It runs all day anyway when the sun comes up.

Flooringit

So I left for the entire day yesterday got home realized I left the ac on auto. It had shut off and seemed fine, 30 minutes later it kicked on I could feel water shoot out. I knew it must’ve froze. Thought well it’s thawed out now went to bed about 1100 pm. At 2 am. I heard it kick on and a boom came right after and then dadadadadadada scared the crap out of me I thought it must’ve dropped the fan out of it. I get up turn it off fast as I can. Turn on the light and there’s water dripping out. I take cover off and see no ice on condenser so I reach up and turn the fan with my hand and the ice is tumbling inside the fan wheel and water still coming out. I put a towel under it and went back to sleep woke up at 8 turned it on worked fine. Why’s it icing on the back side only?

Flooringit

We have 57% humidity so far today. Gonna get worse. I have the fans on high now. I will see how it works. I’ve left the cover off so I can look up see easier tonight when I get home

- - - Updated - - -

We have 57% humidity so far today. Gonna get worse. I have the fans on high now. I will see how it works. I’ve left the cover off so I can look up see easier tonight when I get home

- - - Updated - - -

wdk450

Is the condensate draining OK from the evaporator and the AC pan? I drilled extra drip holes at the lower corners of my AC pan to channel all the water out. Backed up water could cause the excessive ice.

Is the freeze sensor in place? It is supposed to detect when the evaporator coils get TOO cold (freezing) and turn off the compressor for a short while until the evaporator warms up to above freezing.

Also, I concur with the idea of good AC unit cleaning with spray stuff for this from Home Depot. That dirt and dust can hold water on the evaporator coil like a sponge instead of letting it flow away along the drip channel paths.

NHCelt

I suspect that you have warm and cold air mixing somewhere. In our situation, two ac units shared the same ductwork, which ran from front to back with one side being intake and the other supply. None of the ends of the ductwork were blocked, allowing air to mix. Closing these off with foam and foil tape helped dramatically.

If you have ductwork like this, use your cell phone and a flashlight to look up into the ductwork. You may find at least part of the problem.

Flooringit

I took the whole inside apart took off all the junk tape, put spray foam in the voids covered back up seams with gorilla tape then did the mod where you put a sheet metal piece in forcing the air out the vents. It send out the vents way better. I cleaned all the condenser. I did feel air coming from one of the vents as I was working and the other unit was blowing but both vents are in the exhaust side not the intake. I don’t see how warm air would be getting in. Sealed up both sides of the middle sheep metal seperating the intake and exhaust. I could pull off the filter and try see if the exhaust side is leaking some But I don’t see how. It’s taped everywhere

wdk450

I took the whole inside apart took off all the junk tape, put spray foam in the voids covered back up seams with gorilla tape then did the mod where you put a sheet metal piece in forcing the air out the vents. It send out the vents way better. I cleaned all the condenser. I did feel air coming from one of the vents as I was working and the other unit was blowing but both vents are in the exhaust side not the intake. I don’t see how warm air would be getting in. Sealed up both sides of the middle sheep metal seperating the intake and exhaust. I could pull off the filter and try see if the exhaust side is leaking some But I don’t see how. It’s taped everywhere

FYI: Aluminum duct sealing tape is better for this job than Gorilla or any fabric duct tape.