Added New Awning LEDs

zigzag3337

Since we bought our 3950, it has driven me crazy that I couldn't reach the awnings to hang our lights on it. So.......I came up with this...

I bought a set like this off of E bay. It came with two 16' reels, which is great as I have a 12' awning and a 20' awning. I ended up shortening one strip and added it to the other strip. They are the RGB 5050 Waterproof 300 LEDs. I elected to get the ones without the power supply as I am going to hook them up to the on board 12V battery.

LEDs.jpg

I cleaned the camper with alcohol and then used the 3M tape on the back of the strips to mount the right under the awnings.

36dafaa0.jpg

I ran the wiring down the awning support rail behind the plastic cover for both awnings.

ab32f565.jpg

Soldered all the connections...

283e1b4c.jpg

I used heat shrink to seal up the connections after they were soldered.

af9e4bac.jpg

fc2114e1.jpg

I elected to use some trailer plug connectors due to they are going to be left on the camper full time.

8f4a7bb5.jpg

I bought a Draw-Tite hide-a-plug box to keep the plugs in while they are not being used....

fcd6672c.jpg

23b28e53.jpg

To connect the LEDs to the controller, I made a couple of extension cords. When I get set up, I just plug them in.

68c54ec5.jpg

68e2d6ba.jpg

Instead of keeping power on the controller all the time. I put them on a switch (along with some other switches for other projects) in the basement...

4074cbc8.jpg

22af154b.jpg

4f4ef027.jpg

Now it's time to light them up for the first time.....

3f911eb9.jpg

The set I bought is the RF model. That way I can turn them on/off/dim/change colors all from inside of the coach....

Well worth the time and effort now that it's over.

Thanks for your time.
Richard!

zigzag3337

Thanks Dave.

I forgot to mention. I also ran a bead of clear silicon on both sides of the LEDs to prevent water getting in behind the strip and making the 3M tape to loosen up.

Here is a couple of pics lit up at night.

732bb53f.jpg

11f2e2ce.jpg

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Very nice! I saw those led strips on eBay when I was ordering replacement bulbs for the trailer. I thought that would make a good awning light!!

Very impressed with your install.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Very good work and a nice mod. Might have to add that one to the list. I like the fact that you took the time to solder the wires and used heat shrink

zigzag3337

Thanks for the compliments.

I did this while it was 98* degrees outside, but only because we were going camping the following weekend. I recommend installing them when it's cooler. They sale a kit real similar to this at CW, but it was like 4 times as much. I did have to buy the 4 conductor 18 awg wire from Home Depot. Believe it or not, it cost more then the lights......lol

The other light switches I have in the basement, I wired one of them to turn on the running lights on the camper. Every once and a while, the group that we camp with will turn all their lights on by jumping their plug. I thought this would be a little more professional looking.

ihsolutions

Wow. I was just going to post a VERY similar mod!

I bought the 16' kit from Amazon, same LED's, with the power pack and a very similar remote control.

I glued mine to the awning roller (see attached). I have mine wired to the awning receptacle but do have to plug in the 4-way plug each time I roll out the awning, no big deal. Then the LED strip rolls right up in the awning. Mine shine towards the trailer, pics attached. I thought about doing it the way you did, and definitely like the way yours turned out!

I like the fact that your awning does not have to be the whole way out (as mine does) to use the lights.

I did this mod because I got REALLY tired of hanging lights every time, and then having to quickly remove them in times of wind.

Attachments

• IMG_2846.jpg
    IMG_2846.jpg
    755.3 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_2842.jpg
    IMG_2842.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_2847.jpg
    IMG_2847.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 579

sjs731

zigzag,
Do you have a picture of how you handled the connection from the light strip to your wire behind the awning support?

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CliffP

Looks great Richard/Kim and Jeff/Laurie! Are they mounted low enough to use with the awning stored too? We bought a set of the large (6) red, white, and blue globes but rarely use them because they are a pain to put up and take down. Our awning ends up being to high (I'm 6'1") to install without a ladder. We're planning on doing something different. Anyone want a great deal on our globe lights?

zigzag3337

I didint take any pics of me soldering the 4 conductor wire extension to the LED strip as I did that in the house a few days before tackling the camper. I just measured from the top of the awning support to the bottom and added a couple of feet for slack. That extra couple of feet of wire, I made a loop behind the awning support cover just in case down the road I have a problem, I can just redo a connection verses replacing the wiring. ------As far as putting mine out on the awning itself; Trust me, i really wanted to do it that way, but that would mean that I would need to carry a 10' ladder with me every time. Both of my awnings are way up there and if I had to plug them in like that, I could've just continued using the old set of globe lights that I had. -------I mounted mine right up under the awning. In fact, I used the awning rail as a guide to keep them straight. However, if you want to mount them lower, I don't see why you couldn't. During my brain storming I was considering to mount mine along the bottom of the camper, but the slide and the steps preventing me to do that. When I roll up the awnings, I can see the LEDs, but they are tucked up behind the roll, so in my mind, I'm thinking this will also help them from getting blown off going down the highway.

sjs731

Got mine on. They look great. Naturally i wanted to post some pics and my iPhone decided to quit working. I'll post some pics this weekend when we have it set up at the CG. Now I think I want to run a couple strips down the frame underneath for added effect. Really it's just a competition with my brother to see who has the next best modification.;)

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Looks great Richard/Kim and Jeff/Laurie! Are they mounted low enough to use with the awning stored too? We bought a set of the large (6) red, white, and blue globes but rarely use them because they are a pain to put up and take down. Our awning ends up being to high (I'm 6'1") to install without a ladder. We're planning on doing something different. Anyone want a great deal on our globe lights?

I put adhesive a bunch hooks up a couple of inches below the awning and use a awning hook to install and remove my light string. I now can open and close my awning without having to mess with the lights. I used some white plastic cable ties to make loops to make it easy to install the lights without having to use a ladder. The loops also allow for limited adjustment so I can get the height where I wanted the lights without having to try to remove the adhesive hooks.

CliffP

I put adhesive a bunch hooks up a couple of inches below the awning and use a awning hook to install and remove my light string. I now can open and close my awning without having to mess with the lights. I used some white plastic cable ties to make loops to make it easy to install the lights without having to use a ladder. The loops also allow for limited adjustment so I can get the height where I wanted the lights without having to try to remove the adhesive hooks.

Sounds good, would you post some pics please?

ZAZ

That would be cool to see more pics and can't wait to see them come, Was looking at mine and with 2 awnings was wondering how you would do it.

sjs731

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347765404.143214.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347765415.043589.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1347765426.008411.jpg
And I've got two 16' rolls of blue and a dimmer switch for underneath on each side of the rig. Gotta be pimped out and the blue matches our graphics.