Adding 12v outlet in bedroom of Landmark San Antonio

David-and-Cheryl

I need to add a 12 volt receptacle in the bedroom of my 2013 Landmark San Antonio, to be able to power a CPAP machine while dry camping.

The most logical place to put it, I think, would be in the wooden frame of the bed. The bed is in a slide-out, and the entire frame moves in and out with the slide.

What is the best way to get power to the receptacle location? There is a switch for the overhead lights (which I've converted to LED, so they don't draw much current) on the side wall of the slide. Could I run an additional wire from the supply side of that switch to the receptacle, and then connect the other side of the receptacle to ground? Or do I need to pull a new circuit from the 12v fuse box, and if so, how do I get from the fuse box to the bed frame?

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
You may find a good 12V line under the bed already.
That's what I did on my 2014 San Antonio. Mounted the plug in the side of the bed and tied the 12v power line into the slide motor under the front of the bed.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Make sure you install an in-line fuse to new plug. Check the amp draw for your unit and install a fuse for that amp draw.

David-and-Cheryl

Thanks everyone. Luckily I found a hot 12v wire that leads up to the switch for the overhead lights. It's on the same 15A circuit as the slide motor, and even though the CPAP draws about 6.5 amps max, the CPAP and the slide motor would never be on at the same time. The overhead lights are LED with a combined draw of less than 0.5 amps, so the circuit should have plenty of capacity, right?

I do have one (probably dumb) question, however. If the wire for the lights wasn't there, how would I tap into the power for the slide motor? Isn't that wire "hot" only when the slide motor switch is engaged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I do have one (probably dumb) question, however. If the wire for the lights wasn't there, how would I tap into the power for the slide motor? Isn't that wire "hot" only when the slide motor switch is engaged?

That would be correct in my book.

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

On my BH, there appears to be a 12v feed under the bed decking that feeds the reading lights. Since those lights are individually switched (on mine) then the feed would always be hot. (I just had the decking off in conjunction with some slide cable maintenance).

Sweenja1

I'm doing the same thing now. I have found the wires under the bed decking but I'm not sure which wire to use? There two wires run together, 1 black wire and one white wire. Then there is another set of wires, one solid white, the other is white with a black stripe. Both sets of these wires are then tied to another set of wires that run to the overhead lights. This pair of wires, one is solid white the other is white with a red stripe. Does this sound familiar to you and which did you use?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You really need to use a meter or test light to determine the + and - of always hot wires.

Peace
Dave

TxCowboy

Didn't I see on the 2016 Landmark MSRP listing that there is now a CPAP connection in the bedroom? Maybe Jim, Dave, or someone who knows a bit more about rewiring can contact Heartland and see what the manufacturer is doing to make these 12Vdc connections in the bedroom.

Jim_Hull

Forgive the dumb question, but did you use a standard outlet from one of the box stores or is there a special 12V outlet? I am wanting to add a plug I in our BC 4010 bedroom near the bed for a cell phone charger. We have a wall outlet in the closet by the bed, but I would like one by the bed.

Sweenja1

I just went to Walmart and purchased one. They have single outlet, double outlet or combination with USB port. Easy to install.

Jim_Hull

Sweenja1, was that a 12V plug or one designed for 120V? Did you find it in the hardware section?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You can find the 12V USB plugs on Amazon, or a good Marine shop, Bass Pro shop.
That would be nice 1 on each side. Just make sure you keep the wires long enough for the slid to travel in and out. just a reminder.