Adding a 3rd Roof AC Unit (2016 Bighorn)

EdMcK101

I'll be staying in Tucson this summer for work-related reasons. My 2016 Bighorn 5th wheel (with two 15,000 BTU roof ACs and thermal windows) is comfortable up to about 105 degrees, after that forget it. Unfortunately, last summer Tucson recorded several days where temperatures exceeded 110 degrees. Rather than order a new 2021 Bighorn with three roof AC units, I'm trying to figure out if I can add a third 15,000 BTU roof air to my existing coach. I'm told that the biggest hurdle may be installing a Power Management System to handle the extra electrical load — is this even possible? Modifications like this will be expensive, I understand, and I'm willing to spend up to $2,500 to get it done. Finally, if adding a third AC is doable, where can I go to have the work performed? I should also mention here than I have explored other options including a portable indoor AC unit (too loud and inefficient), window units (no thanks), and a mini-split AC (requires major mods to coach).

Thanks in advance for any constructive thoughts.

Last edited:

danemayer

Add the Power Control System would be expensive, not simple, and perhaps not necessary. If you manage your power consumption manually, 50 amp service will run all 3 units at the same time. But you'll have to manage the other appliances so as to not overload the leg that 2 AC units are using. You might want to rearrange circuit breakers to balance out usage. Some things are easy: run the water heater on propane, or turn it off during the day. Use the washer/dryer late at night or early morning. Turn off one A/C unit while using the microwave or coffee maker (but you'd need to turn off the right one).

The Precision Circuits System that Heartland uses is programmed to shed loads in a specific order when total usage is too high. This gives you some flexibility, but A/C units are high on the list of loads that get shed when usage is high.

The next difficulty is running power to the 3rd A/C unit. It's possible someone has done so and can offer advice. Our 2011 LM has a 120V fan/light fixture where a 3rd A/C unit would go. If you also have that, you might be able to use the existing 120V wires. But if there, they're probably 14 gauge, suitable for 15 amp loads. So you'd have to choose an appropriate A/C unit and make sure nothing else is on that circuit.

esscobra

what model do you have? where are you planning on placing a/c - mid or rear? I had planned on having to add a third to my 3760 for summers here in south texas but the 2 units have been really good at keeping it cool that i havent said its time/needed - i was planning using one of the attwood units with the remote controlled system supposedly work well and use less power - - after much inquiry at factory about getting the center vent prepped and extra wire there - was able to find out that ceiling fan pretty much is the correct cutout and that should have a 20 wire run to it- on my unit there is separate breaker for the fan and have not pulled breaker panel off but while in underbelly noticed the yellow 20a romex run to the back corner and traced it inside where it goes up the side wall- have not removed fan to check either - but maybe this year as fan doesn't really do much - found setting units cold overnight really helps unit stay cooler on the hottest of days -

here the non ducted ceiling controll i was thinkng of:

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-15021...8bf89&pd_rd_wg=6IJsT&pd_rd_i=B00B2ATBRU&psc=1

Flick

I'll be staying in Tucson this summer for work-related reasons. My 2016 Bighorn 5th wheel (with two 15,000 BTU roof ACs and thermal windows) is comfortable up to about 105 degrees, after that forget it. Unfortunately, last summer Tucson recorded several days where temperatures exceeded 110 degrees. Rather than order a new 2021 Bighorn with three roof AC units, I'm trying to figure out if I can add a third 15,000 BTU roof air to my existing coach. I'm told that the biggest hurdle may be installing a Power Management System to handle the extra electrical load — is this even possible? Modifications like this will be expensive, I understand, and I'm willing to spend up to $2,500 to get it done. Finally, if adding a third AC is doable, where can I go to have the work performed? I should also mention here than I have explored other options including a portable indoor AC unit (too loud and inefficient), window units (no thanks), and a mini-split AC (requires major mods to coach).

Thanks in advance for any constructive thoughts.

Putting in the 3rd ac with your 50amp service will be absolutely no problem at all as long as whoever does it divides things up so each 6000 watt leg carries its fair share. We do it in our unit and never have problems. And we have all the major stuff including washer and drier, but we don’t have Cheap Heat.
Just get someone to install who can either snake your wires or hide it under moldings and get them to divide out the appliances.
In my opinion, no need to spend the extra money on a Power Management System. Good luck.

centerline

on our last trailer, which was a high volume toy hauler, I installed a wall vent and purchased a 12K portable AC unit to help the roof AC cool down the trailer..... it cooled the entire trailer by itself without the roof air running, which must mean they are more efficient than the units installed on the roof.... and the portable is very much quieter than the roof air is, IF its a decent quality unit.

if I ever need/want to add another AC to my BigHorn, I will do it the same way... its cheaper, quicker and works so much quieter and better....

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We actually added a portable unit this summer, vented out a small slideout window. (Created our own spacer to fit the opening.)

We bought a 12k unit, and it actually cools faster and quieter than the roof air unit in the same space. It was an Arctic King from WalMart. It even has Bluetooth/Wifi capability, to control it remotely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

on our last trailer, which was a high volume toy hauler, I installed a wall vent and purchased a 12K portable AC unit to help the roof AC cool down the trailer..... it cooled the entire trailer by itself without the roof air running, which must mean they are more efficient than the units installed on the roof.... and the portable is very much quieter than the roof air is, IF its a decent quality unit.

if I ever need/want to add another AC to my BigHorn, I will do it the same way... its cheaper, quicker and works so much quicker and better....[/QUOTEif I ever need/want to add another AC to my BigHorn, I will do it the same way... its cheaper, quicker and works so much quicker and better....

I stayed in Tucson this past summer where records were set for temperatures this year. (2) 15k air conditioners on my rig couldn't even come close to cooling my rig when it was 115* for three week running and temps over 100* for over 4 months.. I doubt going through all the trouble and expense of adding a 3rd would help cool that much more. If anything I would go the way Centerline did and add a 12k unit.