Adding led strip light to frame and using step light as power source.

NHCelt

Thinking we would like to add a strip of exterior led lights to the living side frame, and thinking that the easiest point to grab 12v is at the step light.

Has anyone used this power point, how did you do it and how can I determine the number of lights that can safely be added to this 12-volt circuit.

Obviously...I'm not an electrician...😊

danemayer

Hi Celt,

Find the fuse that supplies power to the step light and remove it. See what else stops working and add up the wattage for each device.

The fuse is probably 10 or 15 amps. 10 amps will support 120 watts. 15 amps supports 180 watts.

An LED light strip won't use too many watts and may have a spec to give you the wattage. A 12V DC LED light strip like one I just looked at uses 24 watts, or 2 amps.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I added two LED strips (33' in total) to the side of the frame of our Elkridge. I tapped into the 12 V power supply from the little light sitting behind the steps of our second entrance way. Works perfectly. No issues. It also allows me to use the switch located inside the entrance door.

Not the best pic. But gives you an idea.
2n1cl81.jpg

MCTalley

We put a couple short blue LED strips in our step box and wired them into the existing yellow marker circuit. I pulled the yellow cap off the marker and removed the screws that held the base to the frame. Carefully fishing wires through the frame hole, I found a couple wirenuts. I removed those and connected the power wires to the new LEDs. I taped off the existing light's wires and pushed everything back through the hole.

After a successful test, I put the existing light back in place, taking care not to tighten the screws too tight since the wires to the new LEDs were clamped with the existing light's backplate. A dab of silicone would have probably been a good bet, but I was lazy and didn't seal it up. I figured there are tons of places for water to get inside the frame already - another small entry point probably won't be a world-ender.

gasman

Camp Socializer
I added an LED strip from the front jack to the step and routed it into the belly. I pulled a few screws out of the chloroplast and tied into the step light behind the frame rail. On my last BC I placed the strip on top of the lower frame flange but soon found that the light was too bright. This time I stuck it to the bottom of the top flange so that is like indirect lighting. Much nicer. I bought a 16.4' strip from Amazon and cut it off by the front jack.

NHCelt

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I located the fuse nd did the math and plenty of excess capacity. Should be a nice little addition.

Job done. 3m tape not quite sticky enough, so bedded in a little clear lexel and all good.Like gasman, cut it off at the front jack. Perfect.

Last edited:

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I added two LED strips (33' in total) to the side of the frame of our Elkridge. I tapped into the 12 V power supply from the little light sitting behind the steps of our second entrance way. Works perfectly. No issues. It also allows me to use the switch located inside the entrance door.

2n1cl81.jpg

What lights did you use? Did you direct wire them or did you need a power supply too?

pday1213

Looks nice Jamie. I'll have to ask you about that when we see you in Goshen and pick your brain for ideas of doing the same with the LED lights on our BigHorn.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
What lights did you use? Did you direct wire them or did you need a power supply too?

16'4" 12 V LEDs off of Amazon. Waterproof. Tied 2 sets together. I wired them directly to the 12 V power going to the Amber step lights located on the frame. The Amber step lights were already wired to a switch located inside the main door. So it worked out nice. If I can find the link on Amazon, I'll attach it.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks nice Jamie. I'll have to ask you about that when we see you in Goshen and pick your brain for ideas of doing the same with the LED lights on our BigHorn.

Sure thing. Site 460 in Goshen. I think there is only two ElkRidges in the whole dang group. Lol
It was somewhat easy to do. I placed a straight edge on the frame to make sure it was parallel to the frame channel. Hardest part was going around the level up system.

I will say, I ordered the warm white LED lights. But they are still very bright. I'm going to see how they look in a campground setting. But I'm already thinking I might spray them with a translucent tint to try to take some of the brightness down.

jerryneal

2n1cl81.jpg

Great idea. I'm going add this to my Gateway. How did you attach the strip to the frame. Some of these outdoor strips have a peel and stick backing. Does that hold up?

gasman

Camp Socializer
Great idea. I'm going add this to my Gateway. How did you attach the strip to the frame. Some of these outdoor strips have a peel and stick backing. Does that hold up?

They typically use a 3M tape on the back. Be sure to clean the area very well and then wipe it with alcohol. I had mine on my last BC for 4 years with no problems.