Adding Rear Hitch Receiver to RW 400

6.7LMegaCab

Hey all! I'm curious if it's feasible to add a rear receiver to a RW 400? I think the rear floor-mounted cargo box would have to go, but otherwise, is it feasible to add a receiver to pull a 14-16 foot trailer?

I'm debating this idea to make it a bit easier to haul back both my RW and a bumper pull next month rather than making two trips. Where we are hunting, I can't get my RV into the area, so we camp about a mile down the road, but because of the rules in that county, UTVs, even with plates for road use, aren't allowed on paved roads. So my brother brings a flatbed and I bring the sleeping accommodations along with the UTV. Unless we tag out early, my brother may not be able to stay, so I'll have to either make two trips about 4 hours each way or one trip if a receiver can be installed. The UTV will be secured in my fifth wheel, so the flatbed trailer will be empty.

jerryjay11

First would be to see if it is legal for the state you are traveling in or through. Then if the total length is legal without a special license. I had looked into it for a move cross country, but with some advice from this forum, decided not to try it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
New Mexico has a max combined tow length of 65 feet with a 40 foot max trailer length.
Do you know what your max length will be?
A good fabricated hitch welded to both frame rails is what you will want to investigate.

Peace
Dave

6.7LMegaCab

Yes it's legal, up to 70 feet total length, which it'll be right at or just under. Don't plan on pulling this setup in any other state than where I live.

Looking for advice if a receiver can even be added on the Road Warrior without having to stiffen the frame or other major modifications. If more than just removing the box in the floor (if necessary) and adding a frame mounted receiver is required, then I'll pass and make two trips.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

6.7LMegaCab

New Mexico has a max combined tow length of 65 feet with a 40 foot max trailer length.
Do you know what your max length will be?
A good fabricated hitch welded to both frame rails is what you will want to investigate.

Peace
Dave
Dang it. I thought it was 70 feet! Could have swore that's what I read years ago when deciding on a TH or regular fifth wheel and a separate trailer.

I'll have to get exact measurements then...but I'm thinking it'll be between 65 and 68 feet, which I'll forgo it if that's the case.

Thanks for the reply!

6.7LMegaCab

Wait, max trailer can only be 40 feet? So I probably couldn't do it any how since the RW is already about 43' total. I guess I need to dig into the rules again.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don't rely on what I said to be today's law. Check with your DMV.

Peace
Dave

6.7LMegaCab

You're right. I found the NM Statutes. 65' total length. My total length is 56'. Too long for a 16ft trailer added on. Oh well!

We've been talking about getting a new fifth wheel without a garage, so I'll take this all into account when we decide to do it.

jerryjay11

Cookie,
"New Mexico has a max combined tow length of 65 feet with a 40 foot max trailer length." Max tow length...Wouldn't that include the tow vehicle and trailer? This is what I read from this: camperreport.com

New Mexico​

• Triple Towing: Permitted
  • Maximum Vehicle Length (Including All Add-ons): 65 feet
  • Maximum Speed Limit for Towing Vehicles: 65 mph

6.7LMegaCab

I've been eyeballing my old 4x8 harbor freight trailer figuring out a way to extend it a few more feet and fold it up to be under 9 feet so I can be right at the 65' max. I figured a chop here and there and a few pins, it could fold up nicely .

It's all about the time now as I have a month to figure it out and have other projects to figure out as well lol.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Cookie,
"New Mexico has a max combined tow length of 65 feet with a 40 foot max trailer length." Max tow length...Wouldn't that include the tow vehicle and trailer? This is what I read from this: camperreport.com

New Mexico​

• Triple Towing: Permitted
  • Maximum Vehicle Length (Including All Add-ons): 65 feet
  • Maximum Speed Limit for Towing Vehicles: 65 mph
Well, I'm thinkin that max vehicle length with All Add Ons would include any trailer/trailers considered as add ons. Just a guess.
Also many people think of towing two trailers as double towing when it is actually triple towing.
I've seen some strange things on the road including a truck towing a camper towing a pop up camper towing a boat. Not for me.

Peace
Dave

jerryjay11

Well, I'm thinkin that max vehicle length with All Add Ons would include any trailer/trailers considered as add ons. Just a guess.
Also many people think of towing two trailers as double towing when it is actually triple towing.
I've seen some strange things on the road including a truck towing a camper towing a pop up camper towing a boat. Not for me.

Peace
Dave
Yes I do as well, but the point I was trying to make it also includes the length of the tow vehicle which many folks may not realize. As for double or triple towing in some states it is referred to as double towing (or tandem) while other states call it triple. Tomato/Tamoto. A RW 400 is 42.5 feet. Add that to the tow vehicle 17.23 feet comes to 59.73 feet. Subtract the difference of the fifth wheel makes the total length. Or just hook up and measure with a tape measurer. Then you can determine how much trailer you can tow behind the RW 400.

The next trick is trying to back up a 42.5 foot 5th wheel, aligning the coupler to the added trailer.

6.7LMegaCab

Even if I can figure out a way to couple a bumper pull to the RW, the trailer is light enough (about 220 lbs) to move around by hand. I have a backup camera on the RW as well so backing up to hookup isn't much of a problem to get it close if I had to. In the rare situation I need to backup with both connected, I'd just disconnect the small trailer.

My truck is just under 21 ft long (it's a Mega Cab), so I have less to spare.

oscar

While the debate about whether and where you can drive triples and how long they can be is valid, there is one other minor issue.

Where on your fiver do you find the max allowable tow weight from the RV manufacturer (ie Heartland) ?
In fact, is the trailer designed and rated for towing anything at all?

The lawyers would have a LOT of fun (ie billable hours) with this when it all goes pear shaped.

6.7LMegaCab

While the debate about whether and where you can drive triples and how long they can be is valid, there is one other minor issue.

Where on your fiver do you find the max allowable tow weight from the RV manufacturer (ie Heartland) ?
In fact, is the trailer designed and rated for towing anything at all?

The lawyers would have a LOT of fun (ie billable hours) with this when it all goes pear shaped.
Cool story. Like 300 lbs or there about will make a difference (actually, the tongue weight would be less), especially if the garage isn't even at its max weight that it can hold. Therefore, if I wanted to, I'll triple tow with it, however, if you actually read the comments, I basically can't because of the state length limits.

I might be looking at a shorter Heartland fifth wheel in the future and will get a trailer to triple tow when I'm hauling the UTV.