Adding Receiver Hitch

Hunter11

Looking for some insight from the group. I am wanting to add a 2" receiver hitch to our Landmark using the existing brackets that came from the factory. I plan to add a Cargo Carrier and put our generator and ice chest on it when we travel. The total weight including the carrier would be under 200 lbs. The hitch weighs 98 lbs. I have been looking at the Curt Adjustable Class III Receiver Hitch #13703 as it looks like it would bolt to the factory brackets without much issue. Does anyone know if those brackets are capable of carrying that much weight? Any suggestions or ideas other owners have used to do this would be appreciated.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Do an advanced search on " receiver hitch" and you'll find numerous discussions on this topic on the forum with as many opinions.
I have a 2" receiver hitch welded to my frame for a bike rack for 2 bikes that I have anchored solidly. With all the bounce that goes on back there no way would I risk a $1000 generator. JMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr827

I ordered my trailer with a receiver hitch. It was a 1 1/4 and is basically made for bicycles. The frame company could void the warranty. Mine was a Bighorn so the Landmark might be different. Call HL customer service or research on this forum.
Don

Hunter11

Thanks for the replies. I did not want the factory 1 1/4" hitch because I felt like they would not be sturdy enough. I stepped up on one at a dealer when we were looking at the Landmarks and it would flex with me standing on it. As far as the frame warranty I believe Lippert only covers their frame for one year and that would have expired two days ago.

sengli

I would have something fabricated and welded on, if you are really all about the strength and rigidity.

Hunter11

I would have something fabricated and welded on, if you are really all about the strength and rigidity.

This is pretty much what I have decided to do at this point. I just need to find a good welder/fabricator in our area.

bigdob24

I needed a place for a bike rack, so I had the local shop put a bumper on the back of my rig.
Very strong welded to the frame.
Its the 4x4 tube that I can store the extra drain hose in and also attach the receiver hitch for the bike rack.
The steel used is a lot stronger than anything the factory would use , so very strong.
I also have a flat aluminum rack that will slide in the receiver and hold a couple hundred pounds easy.
I have hauled parts for a very large telescope on occasion . When using the flat rack I run a strap from side to side and one up to the ladder brace to elimanat any vibration.
It works well .

Last edited:
This is pretty much what I have decided to do at this point. I just need to find a good welder/fabricator in our area.

Hi

Just thought you would like to know that a trip to the welding shop is not necessary.

Here is a link http://www.hiddenhitch.com/products...r-home-hitch/WfzaCtfZMf2gA5EIge17WqTGS!Q7YBL2 to a company that might suit your needs. I had my service centre install one on my 2015 Landmark 365 Ashland. It is adjustable for most frames.

Had installed (bolted) it so that it was almost flush with my rear fiberglass end cap. And to extend it past my ladder I have an 18” extension added. With the (2) bike rack added it cleared the ladder nicely. You could make/add a tray as well as it supposedly supports 3500 lbs.

avvidclif

Hi

Just thought you would like to know that a trip to the welding shop is not necessary.

Here is a link http://www.hiddenhitch.com/products...r-home-hitch/WfzaCtfZMf2gA5EIge17WqTGS!Q7YBL2 to a company that might suit your needs. I had my service centre install one on my 2015 Landmark 365 Ashland. It is adjustable for most frames.

Had installed (bolted) it so that it was almost flush with my rear fiberglass end cap. And to extend it past my ladder I have an 18” extension added. With the (2) bike rack added it cleared the ladder nicely. You could make/add a tray as well as it supposedly supports 3500 lbs.

Supports 300 lb, tows up to 3500.

ksucats

Seems to me that Jim Beletti (I hope I got that spelling correct) had a custom hitch made for his. I know that this question has come up many times and Lippert's name is often used. In any case, you might want to search for Jim's posts -- I think he even included diagrams of what he had custom built to support the weight of his bikes and not damage the frame.

bigdob24

I had a local shop install a 4x4 bumper on my BC and that allowed me to put a receiver hitch on it for my bike rack.
Also , I designed it to support my ladder , no more worry there now, very sturdy.
I also have an aluminum carrier that fits the receiver , they estimate it would all hold 400-500 lbs. I would never put that much on it but a couple hundred would be no problem. I do have to strap to the ladder and bumper to keep it from vibrating when I use the aluminum carrier.
I would never tow anything from it either, just not doing A triple tow;-)
The metal 4x4 tubing I bought locally is much thicker and stronger than the cheap Chinese stuff RV manufactures use.
Good luck with your search
Dan

Oregon_Camper

I went with the custom fabricated hitch for my motorcycle. I've had friends follow me and they tell me the bike hardly moves. I credit this to the fact I designed this hitch with 2 inserts vs just 1 insert. This allows the weight to be distributed to 2 bars and stops all the side-to-side rocking motion.

2015-08-10 11.45.41.jpg 2015-08-10 11.43.36.jpg 2015-08-10 11.37.55.jpg

Attachments

• Big Horn rear hitch_receiver.html
    173 KB · Views: 32