additive to level up system

DickO

I am getting ready to put additive in my hydraulics to stop the popping. Have read the closed threads and the instructions. I have had 2 people tell me to just go ahead and add the 2 quarts to start and save a LOT of time. Any input?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Two quarts of what do you propose to add to your system?
The Caterpillar additive or the fork oil with additive?
If fork oil with additive then drain two quarts from the reservoir and replace with the fork oil.
If you are using the Caterpillar additive then drain one quart and add one quart of additive.
Well, that's what I would do anyway.

Peace
Dave

oldelmer1

If you are going to use a turkey baster to suck out the old oil first, watch out that the plastic part of the baster doesn't come off and fall into the tank as you squeeze it to suck the old oil out.

Don't ask how I know.......

Gaffer

I didn't use the Cat fluid and got relief. But not for long. The popping got worse over time. Added the Cat fluid and what a difference. Don't waste your time with the cheaper fluid. Go with Cat from the get go.

Oregon_Camper

I'm about 75% done with creating a Blog/YouTube video on this topic.

I've added the CAT fluid (1 quart) and have ran the slides in/out about 4 times. Leaving today for a 4 day trip...will move jacks up/down a few times before leveling, in order to get the fluid mixed with jacks lines. I'll finish the Blog/Video once we return from this camping trip.

Here is a snapshot of the video, showing you the CAT fluid. Be warned...it is pretty expensive for a quart. Yikes. :)

Capture.jpg

Gary521

If you are going to use a turkey baster to suck out the old oil first, watch out that the plastic part of the baster doesn't come off and fall into the tank as you squeeze it to suck the old oil out.

Don't ask how I know.......
This happened to me, so I don't have to ask.

Ldo

Is the popping caused by air when oil level gets to low? I have never er experienced popping. 2017 3270. Ldo

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Gary521

Did you get yours out?

Mine is still in there.

Yes, I was able to fish it out.

- - - Updated - - -

I am getting ready to put additive in my hydraulics to stop the popping. Have read the closed threads and the instructions. I have had 2 people tell me to just go ahead and add the 2 quarts to start and save a LOT of time. Any input?

Go ahead and start with one quart. Like other have said, use the Cat additive. It does not take a lot of time.

alsams

This is a great thread. I have a new 2018 Cyclone 4270 and while I don't have this issue now, I'm all about preventative maintenance. Where is everyone going to buy the Cat additive? A Google search has left me empty unless you are finding a local cat dealership and buying it there. The eBay store is sold out.

Thanks,
Al

RoadJunkie

This is a great thread. I have a new 2018 Cyclone 4270 and while I don't have this issue now, I'm all about preventative maintenance. Where is everyone going to buy the Cat additive? A Google search has left me empty unless you are finding a local cat dealership and buying it there. The eBay store is sold out.

Thanks,
Al

Check out cat.com for the cat dealer near you. In Colorado, they are up and down the I-25 corridor from Pueblo to Fort Collins.