Affordable WIFI

Jaylo

We are full timers and looking for a really good (great) WIFI provider that doesn't cost a fortune.
We currently have the Winegard TOGO system, but our great unlimited data plan ($30 per month) expires in early January and is not offered anymore and can jump up in price to as much as $300 per month!! We currently have AT&T for our phones and WIFI.

Currently we need the WIFI for computer, tablet, phones and streaming when we can't get over the air TV.

There has to be something out there that doesn't cost a fortune!!

Thanks

Last edited:

SNOKING

We are full timers and looking for a really good (great) WIFI provider that doesn't cost a fortune.
We currently have the Winegard TOGO system, but our great unlimited data plan ($30 per month) expires in early January and is not offered anymore and can jump up in price to as much as $300 per month!! We currently have AT&T for our phones and WIFI.

Currently we need the WIFI for computer, tablet, phones and streaming when we can't get over the air TV.

There has to be something out there that doesn't cost a fortune!!

Thanks

We use OTR Mobile with AT&T sim. We bought our own MoFi router.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We have been using a Verizon Jetpack with the unlimited (throttled after 15 gigabytes of use) plan. We have been happy with it.

Piperflyer

I use Clemons Cellular Service with my AT&T. You get unlimited data for $60.00 a month that is billed paperless every month. I have had good luck with them and have had great service all over the west with it. The more AT&T towers you are close to the better it works.
You can contact them at 912-278-5483 or ugolane@yahoo.com
I also have heard of a new company called Nomad internet that looks good at www.nomadinternet.com
Good Luck

david-steph2018

Okay we have the same as JayC does plus, we also have the offer from FMCA were we purchased another Jetpack for 1 cent and we get 25 GB for $50/month. Plus another source is on our phones we get 30GB thru the "get more, do more plan" on Verizon. So total we get 100GB/month right under $200/month. But this is with my military discount, which is the old discount. With the new military discount you do not get the same discount as I do. Salesman in the Verizon store could not believe the old military discount I was receiving and said "Do not ever leave because you will not get it back at that rate." Plus my wife said we have been with Verizon for probably 20 years., at least.
The FMCA program you are required to have an active 2 year membership, before the offer.
So I would look into the FMCA program, it is still offered:
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.fmca.com/rv-wifi

[/FONT]

SNOKING

Okay we have the same as JayC does plus, we also have the offer from FMCA were we purchased another Jetpack for 1 cent and we get 25 GB for $50/month. Plus another source is on our phones we get 30GB thru the "get more, do more plan" on Verizon. So total we get 100GB/month right under $200/month. But this is with my military discount, which is the old discount. With the new military discount you do not get the same discount as I do. Salesman in the Verizon store could not believe the old military discount I was receiving and said "Do not ever leave because you will not get it back at that rate." Plus my wife said we have been with Verizon for probably 20 years., at least.
The FMCA program you are required to have an active 2 year membership, before the offer.
So I would look into the FMCA program, it is still offered:
https://www.fmca.com/rv-wifi

Two phones on Consumer Cellular at 53/mo(3G shared with AARP Discount) and unlimited OTR MiFi on AT&T for 75/mo. Router is MoFi4500. Works for us.

Attachments

• PXL_20201114_231104324.jpg
    PXL_20201114_231104324.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
Last edited by a moderator:

wdk450

There are some resources here, but I don't know how these companies currently feel about RVers. https://www.satelliteinternet.com/

You can set up and aim a satellite internet dish on a portable tripod like the satellite TV systems. I had an advisor for Viasat tell me that they don't work with RVers, but then I have seen over 15 RVs in my recent travels with Viasat dishes. Hughes was the only satellite internet for RVers years ago, but you don't see their dishes very often, but i still see some on RV's now and then. They might be grandfathered in.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Plans and devices are always changing. Here’s a great source for education and answers. You don’t have to join to read, but their membership does get you some more specific help and first to hear of new technology/information. I am not affiliated with this website. Just a really good source of info.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/overview/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaylo

Update: I ended up upgrading my AT&T cell plan to 100 GB per month for cell and 30 GB's of Hotspot per phone . So far we have been able to stream and use the hotspot for the computers with no problems and with plenty of extra GB's to spare.

The cost for the 2 lines is $125.00 per month (after veterans discount and auto pay was applied) plus we get HBO Max and a couple other goodies as part of the plan!
Without the discounts, I believe the cost was $75 per month per line, which is still pretty good for 260 total GB's per month!!!

This is not a shared plan

I kept the Togo for now and was able to get 20GB's of data for $90 per month from AT&T. Once I get use to the hotspot and get comfortable with using just the phone(s) for the computer and streaming I hope to cancel the data plan and save $90 per month!!

Thank you everyone who contributed to this email chain!!

dave10a

star link will be completely up in the near future and is a game changer. It is partially up now for the northern US and So. Canada and is fantastic with no limit an very fast at $100/mo.

danemayer

star link will be completely up in the near future and is a game changer. It is partially up now for the northern US and So. Canada and is fantastic with no limit an very fast at $100/mo.

StarLink FAQs say:

Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.

Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing.

I received an invitation to sign up for deployment at home in mid to late 2021. But they're in BETA (with service caveats) and the installation kit is almost $600. I'm going to wait until they're stable.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I was excited to hear about this service, but reading that I cannot travel with it, no sale!