AGM 31 series batteries and Levelup System

Bobby A

I took my AGM 31 series battery to be checked at an auto parts store and its reading 12.7 volts, which is suppose to be a good battery ?? The reason for my checking is that my display on my level up does not read. When hitting the on/off button the center green light does come on, but when I go to hit other buttons for re level or ECT. the display does not light up. Can someone help me please ?? Thank you

danemayer

Hi Bobby,

Since you've verified the condition of the battery, the next thing to do would be to check the connections at the battery terminals, as well as the negative terminal's cable connection to frame ground. Also check the connections at the levelup control panel, and the connections at the trombetta, by the hydraulic pump.

Bobby A

Hi Bobby,

Since you've verified the condition of the battery, the next thing to do would be to check the connections at the battery terminals, as well as the negative terminal's cable connection to frame ground. Also check the connections at the levelup control panel, and the connections at the trombetta, by the hydraulic pump.
Thank you Dan, I am not sure where all this connections are that you are referring to ?? and especially no idea of what and where this trombetta is?? Anyone got any pictures of what your referring to ?? Also, when you mean check, do you mean for tightness or corrosion ?? I have never had a problem with this before. Thank you

danemayer

You'll want to check for clean and tight connections, and also that the wire is securely crimped in the terminal fitting. Check behind the levelup control panel to ensure the connector is fully seated. The trombetta is where the heavy wires connect to the hydraulic motor - usually in the front compartment close by the hydraulic fluid tank. There could also be an inline fuse somewhere in the area around the batteries and/or trombetta. There's a block diagram of the levelup system in the appendix of our Electrical User Guide, here.

And if you or anyone else has been working in or rearranging things in the front compartment, or near the control panel, check that area closely in case something was inadvertently disturbed.

Bobby A

You'll want to check for clean and tight connections, and also that the wire is securely crimped in the terminal fitting. Check behind the levelup control panel to ensure the connector is fully seated. The trombetta is where the heavy wires connect to the hydraulic motor - usually in the front compartment close by the hydraulic fluid tank. There could also be an inline fuse somewhere in the area around the batteries and/or trombetta. There's a block diagram of the levelup system in the appendix of our Electrical User Guide, here.

And if you or anyone else has been working in or rearranging things in the front compartment, or near the control panel, check that area closely in case something was inadvertently disturbed.
Thank you Dan, I will check it out tomorrow, thank you for the quick reply, I know for sure no one has been in the compartment where the pump/battery is. The level up light was working last fall when we raised all jacks before storing the unit for the winter. I am kinda puzzled, we have never ever had a issue with the level up system. Thanks again, I will post back if I have more questions. Thank you

david-steph2018

I took my AGM 31 series battery to be checked at an auto parts store and its reading 12.7 volts, which is suppose to be a good battery ?? The reason for my checking is that my display on my level up does not read. When hitting the on/off button the center green light does come on, but when I go to hit other buttons for re level or ECT. the display does not light up. Can someone help me please ?? Thank you
The battery does read okay at 12.7 volts but what some people neglect to check is putting the battery under a load test. Without asking, some times, the auto parts store will not do this. Just because some of them do not understand the need for a load test.

Bobby A

The battery does read okay at 12.7 volts but what some people neglect to check is putting the battery under a load test. Without asking, some times, the auto parts store will not do this. Just because some of them do not understand the need for a load test.
Thank you very much for mentioning this, I am getting ready to take the battery for a load test as you mentioned. It was near closing time yesterday when I had the battery tested, I asked about a load test and they said it would take an hour so I told them I would bring back the battery today.

Bobby A

Upon observation, all connections appear tight without any corrosion, however where the hydraulic pump and battery is there is some gunk, maybe hydraulic fluid from a past leak or spill, what should I use to clean up all the connections and terminals ?? Can I use tuner cleaner for electronics ??

Bobby A

Well Dan, I just got back from having the battery tested under load at 2 different facilities, The first place said it was good under load. The 2nd place said it was good under load but in extreme conditions (Very cold or very hot) the battery would go from good (green) to Yellow, which I guess means its getting weak ?? Not sure if that would be enough to make my level up not read ??

Also, I may have given wrong information right from the start (my bad). The level up display back light DOES come on but no words will appear in the screen when hitting the arrows to do different functions. Does this change the way to diagnose this problem ?? Thank you for your help.

danemayer

Well Dan, I just got back from having the battery tested under load at 2 different facilities, The first place said it was good under load. The 2nd place said it was good under load but in extreme conditions (Very cold or very hot) the battery would go from good (green) to Yellow, which I guess means its getting weak ?? Not sure if that would be enough to make my level up not read ??

Also, I may have given wrong information right from the start (my bad). The level up display back light DOES come on but no words will appear in the screen when hitting the arrows to do different functions. Does this change the way to diagnose this problem ?? Thank you for your help.
Bobby,

I think it comes down to either a power problem or a failing component. If all the connections look ok, including the connector on the backside of the control panel, and components in the front compartment, you should probably call Lippert and ask if they have any further ideas on nailing down the precise cause.

david-steph2018

Did they mentioned what the voltage drop was when load testing?

Bobby A

Bobby,

I think it comes down to either a power problem or a failing component. If all the connections look ok, including the connector on the backside of the control panel, and components in the front compartment, you should probably call Lippert and ask if they have any further ideas on nailing down the precise cause.
Yes Dan, I think your right, however, after removing the control panel and plugging it back in, I noticed the back light was kinda an off color. So doing some research on line and finding some video's of people with the same issue, I decided to order a new control panel, I am quite confident that its a bad panel. Yes, very expensive but good ole Amazon had an exact replacement for about 1/2 the price. Its less than a 5 minute fix, I will post back when I install the new one. I appreciate your time and help and everyone else that chimed into this thread. Its all about helping each other anyway right ?? I can give part numbers that will help someone else. My old display is part #234802 and the new part # for exact plug and play is 421484, hope this helps someone when needed. I will post back after install in 2 days.
Thanks everybody,

Bobby A

Bobby,

Dan/Heartland family.
I just received and installed the new control panel, sure enough that seems to be what my problem was. Now I need help with recalibrating. I have watched the videos of up arrow 10 and down arrows 10 ect. But what is happening is when we plug the control panel in, there is an error message on the screen. When we tried to power off the system it will not, until we hit the enter button. Once we do that, the display reads READY, jacks down, but a red flashing light appears next to the left button. Once we are at this point we can push the power button and it will shut off, however it will not recalibrate. Can someone help please ??

danemayer

Before recalibrating, you need to manually level the rig. I think the flashing light next to the left button may be indicating that you're low on that side. Before recalibrating, try pushing the left button and watch the display as it shows numbers indicating correction from off-level to level. Once the sensors think the trailer is level, all lights should be off and it may recalibrate correctly.

Bobby A

Before recalibrating, you need to manually level the rig. I think the flashing light next to the left button may be indicating that you're low on that side. Before recalibrating, try pushing the left button and watch the display as it shows numbers indicating correction from off-level to level. Once the sensors think the trailer is level, all lights should be off and it may recalibrate correctly.
what is the numbers suppose to be at ?? we are out hear right now and the left button when pushed is indicating +0.7, I don't know what its suppose to be at ?? Thank you as always for your help and expert knowledge.

danemayer

what is the numbers suppose to be at ?? we are out hear right now and the left button when pushed is indicating +0.7, I don't know what its suppose to be at ?? Thank you as always for your help and expert knowledge.
Assuming the sensors are in the correct position, when you get to 0.0 side to side and 0.0 front to rear, you should be level.

Bobby A

Assuming the sensors are in the correct position, when you get to 0.0 side to side and 0.0 front to rear, you should be level.
Thanks Dan,
This is the first time we ever had to do anything with the Level up since Lippert installed and set it up for us 8 years ago. It has worked as it is intended to, push a button and it levels itself, so thats why we don't know much about the system. So, with that said, with the number it is reading currently of +0.7 should I be raising that side or lowering it to get to the 0.0 number your referring to ??

danemayer

Just push the button that has the light next to it flashing, and watch the numbers change. If it goes from +0.7 to +0.6, +0.5... you're headed toward 0.0.

Bobby A

Just push the button that has the light next to it flashing, and watch the numbers change. If it goes from +0.7 to +0.6, +0.5... you're headed toward 0.0.
Thank you so much, I may have to hold off because of rain for the next several days, I don't want to start something if I can't finish it because of rain and if I run into trouble getting this controller set. We have solved the first problem that this thread was intended, I will post back if I get a break in the rain. Thanks again for your help, you have helped me out many times throughout the years. I appreciate you.