Air Conditioning Question for Cyclone 3110

FlyerChief

Getting ready to purchase a Cyclone 3110. Not sure yet whether I'll buy off the lot or order, but I have a question about the air conditioning. I forgot to ask when we physically looked at a 3110 and the dealer is to far away to just run over for another look.

It looks like the 3110 comes standard with 2 A/Cs - one in the garage and one in the bedroom. I'll confess that I'm concerned about the one in the bedroom from perspective of noise. In our current Bighorn, we have 2 A/Cs, one in living area and one in bedroom. They are on separate thermostats, so we can run the bedroom A/C to cool things down, but we never run it at night (too noisy) - the one in the living area is ducted to the bedroom and is able to keep things comfortable. That doesn't look like it is possible in the 3110.

So....am I correct that the 3110 A/Cs come in the bedroom and the garage, with none in the living area? Are they ducted or do they just blow where they are? If ducted, are they tied together or is one or the other that is tied into the ducts? For the A/C in the bedroom, how loud is it?

thanks!

FlyerChief

Thanks, Bob. You're right. It should. All it takes is return phone call to the several messages I've left. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that call. I didn't want to throw anyone under the bus, so I thought I would try a simple question here. I guess that's not an appropriate use of the forum. Sorry to use up bandwidth unnecessarily. Lesson learned.

danemayer

Thanks, Bob. You're right. It should. All it takes is return phone call to the several messages I've left. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that call. I didn't want to throw anyone under the bus, so I thought I would try a simple question here. I guess that's not an appropriate use of the forum. Sorry to use up bandwidth unnecessarily. Lesson learned.

FlyerChief,

It's a perfectly appropriate use of the forum. Another 3110 owner could answer your question, but apparently none have jumped in.

You didn't mention who you left messages for, but I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Identify yourself as a prospective Cyclone customer and ask for AJ Jones, the Toy Hauler General Manager, or one of his sales team members. Unless they're all out at RV shows, someone should be able to help you.

bobca1

My 3110 (2015) came with 2 ac units, one over the bedroom and one over living area, both on separate thermostats. Both units are ducted, and the fan when running is loud, but it's the sound of air blowing not the sound of compressor running. I find the sound of rushing air soothing helps me sleep covers up other background noise, like those OHV riders that decide to go for spin at 2:00 am!

Hippy

I agree with bobca1. One in the living room and one ine the bedroom. Garage is set up for a third but its an added option when you buy.

ksmith555

We have a 2014 3110 that we ordered. On our build sheet the living room unit was standard and any others were add ons. After owning a 3010 before with no garage A/C (living room unit only) we opted to order our 3110 with the main living room unit and garage unit. The dealer explained that we could order all three, but only two could be run at one time. I had them place the fantastic fan on our standard options list from the garage to the bedroom. I prefer to not have an A/C in the bedroom, for us the main unit has always been enough to keep the bedroom cool...personal preference. I do recommend having one in the garage if you use your garage for any purpose other than hauling. We have guests stay with us all the time in the garage and also use the garage for our dogs. The old 3010 garage was always hot in the summer. We would keep the sliding door open and place a fan in the floor trying to pull some cool air in the garage, which took up floor space and barely kept it cool. We love the layout of our 3110 and have been very happy with it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bill, I'm not sure why you thought I was passing buck to HL. Your questions are always welcome on the forum. That's why it's here. I suggested you call HL so maybe your question could get answered sooner and by someone like AJ so as to get it from the "horses mouth".

FlyerChief

No problem, Bob. As mentioned, I didn't even post a question here until I had left multiple messages at Heartland without a response. I might have been a little 'irritated' that you were suggesting what I had already tried first.....without any luck. The answers above have been very helpful, so it's all good.

By the way....I still haven't gotten a return phone call from anyone at Heartland. So a 'quick' call to Heartland doesn't seem to exist!

Thanks

Bob&Patty

Bill, who are you calling at HL?? BTW, there was a Bill and Dotty that lived in Fallbrook a few years back....was a fireman....was that you??

FlyerChief

Yes, that's us, Bob.

When I called Heartland, my call was answered by an automated attendent - I was never able to get to a real person. I tried a variety of button-pushes and never got to a real person....always someone's voice mail. In each case, I described why I was calling, what I needed, and asked for a return call. Crickets. Based on Dan's suggestion, I have now left another message - this time on AJ Jones voice mail.

Bob&Patty

I think we even had a few conversations on the phone. You know you can drag your CY the the Socal rally at Pechange in Oct.

BTW, on Fridays HL closes down at 1 PM our time. This time of year there are RV shows everywhere. AJ and other brand managers go to these. AJ, Coley Brady and others will probably be at the Pomona RV show later this year. Nice bunch of people.

jeffdee

We have a 2014 3110 that we bought off the lot August, 2013. It has two AC units on the roof. A 13,500 btu over the bedroom and a 15,000 btu over the living room. Both are on separate single zone thermostats. There is a central duct in the ceiling running from the bedroom ceiling all the way to the garage ceiling. When the two units are running they are loud but will keep the bedroom and living room cool when outside temps are above 90 degrees. The two openings in the ceiling in the garage do not deliver enough cool air from the two ACs to cool the garage. I used a fan on the floor to move air into the garage from the living to keep it cool.

Last month the 15,000 btu AC stopped cooling. I checked everything and it appears to be a problem with the compressor. I am bringing the RV to the dealer tomorrow to get the AC repaired/replaced. It has a two year warranty ending August 1.

However, the wife wanted to go camping last week in 90 degree weather. The bedroom AC will not cool the whole RV. So I picked up a 12,000 btu portable AC from Sam's Club for $300. I put it in the garage where the washer would be located and used that designated wall plug. This AC is rated for 10 amps/1150 watts (about the same as a microwave and less than a washer/dryer combo). It was more than able to keep the garage cool and I used a fan on the floor to blow cool air into the living room. I also used a fan to move air from the bedroom into the living room. With this set up I was able to keep the whole RV at 76 degrees in 95 degree outside temperatures.

When I get the living room AC fixed it will more than handle the living room and bedroom at night. Any guests in the garage can get it as cold as they want with the portable AC. I do not think I need to consider adding the third roof AC over the garage. The $300 portable AC was a good investment. When travelling I secure it next to the fireplace in the living room rather than letting it get bounced around in the garage.

I posted pictures of this Delonghi Portable AC in the Garage Section 2 weeks ago.

During the winter I use two Delonghi Oil Filled Radiator Heaters to keep the entire RV warm.

I believe you will be happy with a 3110 model. The wife and I really enjoy ours and it is a pleasure to pull with my F350 Lariat.

Good Luck!

FlyerChief

Interesting replies so far. Everyone here reports two A/Cs - one in the bedroom and one in the living area. I'm looking at a new 3110 on a dealers lot...it's a 2015....with 2 A/Cs....one in the bedroom and the other in the garage! I thought it was strange to dedicate one to the garage, but it looks like that's the way it is. The dealership folks said they're all ducted together. Still no return calls from my messages left at the factory, so I haven't been able to confirm (not that I don't trust what the dealership folks are saying...I just believe in 'trust, but verify' ).

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Sorry for the late response!!! The new 2015's do come with 2 A/C's STD. They are located in the garage area and the bedroom they are both 15K's and they are both ducted. The reason why we chose to locate the A/C's to these locations because from pushing from the front and back towards each other the A/C is much more quiet, and has more air velocity pushing the air out. The other reason we chose the garage location was that we added an additional heat strip in the rear garage A/C (5,000btu). This heat strip helps heat the garage area in colder conditions, and also the entire unit. There have been many colder evenings spent in the unit at 40-50 degrees that the heat strip in garage along with the fireplace actually heated the unit very well. Please let me know if you have any other questions.