Alcan to Alaska

lakeside

Greetings all,
The wife and I have been to Alaska three times and rented RVs in Alaska each time. In the spring we pick up our new Bighorn 5er and plan to go to Great Falls Montana from our home in Maine and then north to Dawson to pick up the Alcan onto Alaska. What are the campgrounds like on the Alcan, crowded, pricey, great distances apart? Is there any chances to boondock on this trip? Would you anticipate any problems from a 2011 F-350 6.7 diesel hauling a 13,000# RV on this highway? Do I need to install a rock shield on the RV or truck grill/headlights? How much time should we alow on the Alcan part of this trip keeping in mind we are NOT in a hurry? Where can I catch a few fish along the way? Thanks in advance for your answers to my questions. I really do value all the input I have recieved thus far on this forum. Lakeside

davebennington

Lakeside,

We were in Alaska last year. What can I say it was great!!! Alaska is truly the last frontier. You should not have any problems there are a lot of campgrounds on the Alcan, fuel is also available just remember to fill up in the bigger cities as it is cheaper there.

If I can help on any way PM or email me.

dave

MTPockets

Did it last year.... We had no problems finding places to stop... SOme remote, some with only 15 amp, but plenty of options. Highway is generally good... Exception - Between Whitehorse and Alaska boarder - road is pretty bad and likely always will be due to frost heaves and on-going debates between Canada and US on who should pay for on-going repairs. (Long story) This section of road at times we were only able to do 10 MPH and still was pretty rough. About 100 mile stretch that off & on gets bad. We replaced a windshield due to this section of road. Other than that, no problems.... This 100 mile stretch is no reason to worry or delay, just plan on going slow at times and enjoy....