All electric slides are dead

AnthonyA

I am preparing for a move and noticed that all 3 Schwintek Slides are giving a Error Code #9 for a "Hall pwr short to GND". I hear zero activity when I press the switches to pull the slides in.

I tried the manual override, lights started flashing, but no action.

I have checked the 2 breakers and fuses behind the Battery and they are all good. Batteries are 2017 but still hold 13 plus volts.

What else should I be checking?
dfb562c3562bd640089140817b3b18f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Bogie

It's seems a bit odd that all three slides would fail with the same problem at the same time. Also, seems unlikely that all six motors would have the same problem at the same time. Make sure the batteries are good as already suggested. Then you can try to rest the controllers.

I am attaching several Schwintek guides. Including trouble shooting guides. Last resort would be to disconnect the motors, manually push in the slides and block them for travel get to a dealer that can trouble shoot the problem for you.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Schwintek In-Wall Repair Kits Manual 6-30-15-2.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 8
  • Schwintek In-Wall Slide-Out Owners Manual - 11-21-14-2.pdf
    7.3 MB · Views: 4
  • Schwintek Slideout Troubleshooting 10-1-13-2.pdf
    418.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Schwintek Slideout Troubleshooting and component replacement 6-17-14-2.pdf
    743 KB · Views: 5
  • Schwintek Trouble shooting.pdf
    815.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Schwintek-In-Wall-Troubleshooting-Guide.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 7

NYSUPstater

Shootin' from the hip here, but is it possible they breakers themselves are to blame?? Too weak capacity? I know I replaced the 50A ones w/ 80A and have direct power cable from battery to them. BUT this is for the main hyd pump. Again, just taking a stab at it.

david-steph2018

I am preparing for a move and noticed that all 3 Schwintek Slides are giving a Error Code #9 for a "Hall pwr short to GND". I hear zero activity when I press the switches to pull the slides in.

I tried the manual override, lights started flashing, but no action.

I have checked the 2 breakers and fuses behind the Battery and they are all good. Batteries are 2017 but still hold 13 plus volts.

What else should I be checking?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Unhook the batteries and have these load tested. It could be showing 13+VDC, but when a load is placed on the batteries, the batteries could be losing voltage. Batteries are 5+ years old, I would start with load testing the batteries at a place like AutoZone, NAPA, etc...
Also, another thing, have someone push the switch and with a multimeter you check the voltage coming out of the breakers, with the shore power disconnected.

AnthonyA

Unhook the batteries and have these load tested. It could be showing 13+VDC, but when a load is placed on the batteries, the batteries could be losing voltage. Batteries are 5+ years old, I would start with load testing the batteries at a place like AutoZone, NAPA, etc...
Also, another thing, have someone push the switch and with a multimeter you check the voltage coming out of the breakers, with the shore power disconnected.
The Batteries were definitely weak as they did not hold a load. I bought some new ones and still nothing. Manual bypass does nothing either.
What could cause all 3 slides to be dead? There has to be some kind of master control or fuse that operates all 3.
The only thing I did recently was use the hydraulics to lift the rig up to take tires off.

AnthonyA

It's seems a bit odd that all three slides would fail with the same problem at the same time. Also, seems unlikely that all six motors would have the same problem at the same time. Make sure the batteries are good as already suggested. Then you can try to rest the controllers.

I am attaching several Schwintek guides. Including trouble shooting guides. Last resort would be to disconnect the motors, manually push in the slides and block them for travel get to a dealer that can trouble shoot the problem for you.

Hope that helps.
Yes, definitely odd. This leads me to believe that there is a some component that has the ability to shut down all 3 slides. I replaced the batteries because they didn't hold a load, but that still didn't do a thing.

david-steph2018

Anthony, start from the batteries and check everything with a meter and make sure you have power in/out.
Check each of the small breakers by the batteries. There may be another breaker tripped in that group. If I remember, the slides usually have an auto-reset breaker, but if the line worker grabbed a wrong one.
Is the 80-amp breaker, okay? Check the switch and see if power in/out.

AnthonyA

Anthony, start from the batteries and check everything with a meter and make sure you have power in/out.
Check each of the small breakers by the batteries. There may be another breaker tripped in that group. If I remember, the slides usually have an auto-reset breaker, but if the line worker grabbed a wrong one.
Is the 80-amp breaker, okay? Check the switch and see if power in/out.
Yes, just checked the 80 amp buss, 13.8 in and out. Same for the one up top.

david-steph2018

Troubleshooting, start at your power source and work your way to the device. Also, while you are doing this, make a drawing showing the system & schematic of it. This way it helps you learn the system and you can have the information for later on if the issue comes up again.

Roller4tan

According to the Schwintek slideout service manual, the 9 blinks does indicate it is Hall Power Short To Ground. This typically means that power to the controller has been shorted or is touching a ground point somewhere. Locate your controller and follow the power wire for bare wire touching frame or structure.

AnthonyA

According to the Schwintek slideout service manual, the 9 blinks does indicate it is Hall Power Short To Ground. This typically means that power to the controller has been shorted or is touching a ground point somewhere. Locate your controller and follow the power wire for bare wire touching frame or structure.
I am getting power at all 3 controllers, not sure if this is possible or not with a short. As soon as I plug power back in, it goes back to the 9 blinks.
I find it extremely odd that all 3 would be experiencing the same issue.
I may have to chase the brown wires down 1 by one.

AnthonyA

Troubleshooting, start at your power source and work your way to the device. Also, while you are doing this, make a drawing showing the system & schematic of it. This way it helps you learn the system and you can have the information for later on if the issue comes up again.
It looks like this may be what I have to do since I am getting power at all 3 controllers. Haven't tested power out to motors yet. Will have to check that tomorrow. It's just so odd that all 3 controllers are having the same issue.

Dahillbilly

if the power wire goes from one controller to the next & there is a short in that wire(anywhere)then a short will show on all three

AnthonyA

Ok, I have an update. I was able to run a isolated (direct) 12v source to one of the motors and still no response.
(Testing done with and without shore power)
I am showing 14.75/12.8 volts at the controller J7/J8 power input side. I am also showing the same voltage on the switch side (J8 + J6).
I checked for voltage draw at J6 (Ext/Ret switch) and then pressed the rocker inside the coach and no voltage change. It seems that there is a connectivity problem between the 3 separate switches in the coach and the controllers.

I assume they share some failed common component that has cause all three switches to be dead?

Testing was done with and without shore power. Same result on both, just lower voltage on battery power (12.8 v)

AnthonyA

Ok, we have victory! So it turns out that a 15 amp fuse named (Ceiling Lights) was burnt and was directly tied to the Rocker Panel switches for the Electric slides only...my hydraulic slides worked fine. Had to use a 20 amp until I can get some more 15 amp fuses.
Funny thing is, this fuse has nothing to do with ceiling lights! Lol . Man what a relief!

Attachments

• 20230105_155110.jpg
    20230105_155110.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
Last edited: