Alternative to lethal weapon.

ENG2242

I was a street medic/Eng for 30 plus years, retired and now work in a Super Max Prison as an RN. Now, I definately carry a fire arm, as I've had many valid threats from offenders. Not so much anymore as we've earned mutual respect for one another. However, the custody officer's exposed one on one can only carry OC spray for defense. Plus, their young and have some good fighting skills. I'm to old for that now. lol. I always have OC gel from Sabre Red on person and in vehicle. This is just a very effective non-lethal deterent for protection. 97% of the offenders that get sprayed go down hard!! I would not order from any other resource as the aforementioned sales makes it for street enforcement and corrections. It's the real deal and it's legal in most non-carry environments. I carry the gel, some prefer the spray. Personal choice.
Regards:
David Hartmann

I am in no way affiliated with Sabre Red!! I'm just trying to provide direction so you don't purchase from a non sense provider.

david-steph2018

I was a street medic/Eng for 30 plus years, retired and now work in a Super Max Prison as an RN. Now, I definately carry a fire arm, as I've had many valid threats from offenders. Not so much anymore as we've earned mutual respect for one another. However, the custody officer's exposed one on one can only carry OC spray for defense. Plus, their young and have some good fighting skills. I'm to old for that now. lol. I always have OC gel from Sabre Red on person and in vehicle. This is just a very effective non-lethal deterent for protection. 97% of the offenders that get sprayed go down hard!! I would not order from any other resource as the aforementioned sales makes it for street enforcement and corrections. It's the real deal and it's legal in most non-carry environments. I carry the gel, some prefer the spray. Personal choice.
Regards:
David Hartmann

I am in no way affiliated with Sabre Red!! I'm just trying to provide direction so you don't purchase from a non sense provider.

Good information from you on this if I may add a little to it:

In my opinion FOX 5.3 is better. Sabre Red is hotter then Fox, but the downturn on Sabre Red is the recovery time is quicker compared to Fox. The effects of Fox last longer then Sabre Red, even compared to Sabre Red Predator. I worked in a close/max prison 27 years in Ohio and the last 12 as a Lieutenant. We used Fox until this past year when I retired. Good thing about both is there is a dye in these that will show under black light.

If you are looking at getting the spray there is 2 kinds of spray, fogger or streamer. Streamer can be deployed for up to 20 feet, fogger is used for close spaces or with large groups. If using either make sure the wind is blowing on your back away from you, not toward you. The way to tell the 2 apart is look at the nozzle area, streamer has a round discharge hole. The fogger has a oblong shape discharge hole. The fogger will come out as a fog at the nozzle.
I carry Fox now on me and in my vehicles.

ENG2242

Good information from you on this if I may add a little to it:

In my opinion FOX 5.3 is better. Sabre Red is hotter then Fox, but the downturn on Sabre Red is the recovery time is quicker compared to Fox. The effects of Fox last longer then Sabre Red, even compared to Sabre Red Predator. I worked in a close/max prison 27 years in Ohio and the last 12 as a Lieutenant. We used Fox until this past year when I retired. Good thing about both is there is a dye in these that will show under black light.

If you are looking at getting the spray there is 2 kinds of spray, fogger or streamer. Streamer can be deployed for up to 20 feet, fogger is used for close spaces or with large groups. If using either make sure the wind is blowing on your back away from you, not toward you. The way to tell the 2 apart is look at the nozzle area, streamer has a round discharge hole. The fogger has a oblong shape discharge hole. The fogger will come out as a fog at the nozzle.
I carry Fox now on me and in my vehicles.[/QUOTE

Thank you for your information, your reply and your service sir.
David

- - - Updated - - -

David-Steph,
Thank you for your added information, insight and most importantly your service! Many have no true understanding the work and experiences a corrections officer does. I work medical as an RN and naturally I have to be certified by the DOC. I hope you have a wonderful day sir, God bless. David

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
My problem with OC sprays is that you get sprayed as well as your partner(s). One tiny speck will bring you down! Based on 34 years as a cop, about 19 on patrol. I even got oversprayed as a Detective and it's no more fun in civilian clothes than it is in uniform.

ENG2242

My problem with OC sprays is that you get sprayed as well as your partner(s). One tiny speck will bring you down! Based on 34 years as a cop, about 19 on patrol. I even got oversprayed as a Detective and it's no more fun in civilian clothes than it is in uniform.

Sabre Red makes a gel spray now. 20' stream, has me curious. My opinion, is it is a great deterrent, and if it's not a situation where lethal defense is required. I'm to old to fight! Thank you for your service!!

david-steph2018

Clears out your sinuses. Been hit with it numerous times and taken out of the fight, some times. Had numerous shirts ruined because of the stain left by the orange color.

During training one time I advised the new officers to go to the restroom before they got sprayed. One said "with that little can, it won't do anything to me!!!"
He never thought that again.

But just a word of caution, OC spray will NOT work on everybody. If an individual is on heavy mental health meds, it may not effect them.

mlpeloquin

I would like to know if it is illegal to just use the bear spray in self defense. I can see the small personal spray to carry around, but in the truck or fifth wheel the bear spray maybe easier to grab.

ENG2242

Clears out your sinuses. Been hit with it numerous times and taken out of the fight, some times. Had numerous shirts ruined because of the stain left by the orange color.

During training one time I advised the new officers to go to the restroom before they got sprayed. One said "with that little can, it won't do anything to me!!!"

But just a word of caution, OC spray will NOT work on everybody. If an individual is on heavy mental health meds, it may not effect them.[/QU
You're correct. There are some offenders that laugh at you when you hit the cell with Phantom. When we use that we have to shut the HVAC system down in that wing. Bad stuff!! I was in the bubble when it hit me, I wound up going to the yard to puke. However, I still feel strongly about the gel stream. It is an alternative if used by people that are trained and prepared. I'd rather take them down with OC as opposed to other more aggressive measures. It is used regularly and has defiantly proven to bring 95% of the offenders down hard!! Thank you for your service.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to know if it is illegal to just use the bear spray in self defense. I can see the small personal spray to carry around, but in the truck or fifth wheel the bear spray maybe easier to grab.
The States have different laws regarding OC. Hey, if you need to and you have it, jack them down.

- - - Updated - - -

Why am I drawn to this subject?
9mm.
Oh, I carry a 9mm too. I also have a taser that will eliminate the need for Fiberlax.

- - - Updated - - -

david-steph2018

In the truck I carry the 1lb. can. It has a handle on it.
fox-labs-pepper-spray-one-pound-mk9-8.jpg

close window

flipit

But just a word of caution, OC spray will NOT work on everybody. If an individual is on heavy mental health meds, it may not effect them.
A $5 can of wasp and hornet spray will put a man or dog down from 20-30 ft. I carry in my drivers door.