And Another Hanger Failure

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We are planning to leave on the next adventure in a couple days so it's time to start getting the coach ready. Our Cyclone will be a year old in a couple weeks so I thought I'd crawl under and service the wet bolts. And then I found this:

A call to Heartland found them anxious to get it fixed for me but rural KY doesn't offer many choices in mobile welders. They are searching and I'm searching and hopefully we'll be on our way with minimal delay.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 255

TexasTraveler2017

Hopefully they are able to help you find someone! Every time I see another post like this it makes me glad I had MORryde rip out our brand new suspension and put on their independent suspension. I know that not everyone can afford to add it or needs it, but with the miles we will be traveling the next several years, I think it will be a good investment for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Santanilson

Illinois Chapter Leaders-Retired
So, I see the various posts on suspension, should I be worried with the same thing on my 25RLSS? I admit that I’ve seen no reason to crawl under the rig but starting to have second thoughts to look a bit closer.

PondSkum

So, I see the various posts on suspension, should I be worried with the same thing on my 25RLSS? I admit that I’ve seen no reason to crawl under the rig but starting to have second thoughts to look a bit closer.

Probably over 90% of these failures that I've seen so far are on triple axle trailers, like the Cyclone and Road Warrior toy haulers. That 3rd axle has a LOT of extra side load on it during turning maneuvers vs only 2 axles.

MTPockets

There are many posts about various weld issues and I would hope the frame makers would do better. Having said that, my experience was all good with our Big Horn, travelling full Time over four years from FL to WA, CA, AZ, IN, and places between more than once, and never had tire or frame issues. I once considered MorRyde, but then realized I never had a problem. With the thousands of units on the road failures may be very low. Maybe Heartland has statistics?

mlpeloquin

First make sure the it is a certified welder unlike the mobile service we got. Second have the hangers tied/welded together with angle iron to equalize the stress from side to side. I have dual axles and it happens to them as well.

NWILSON

A mobile truck service has been located. After seeing the picture they said they wouldn't attempt to repair with the broken parts but would gladly remove the failed base plate and weld a new hanger in place. Heartland agreed with their assessment. No one would answer their phone at Lippert Friday afternoon so it appears that we'll have to wait til Tuesday to complete the repair.

Kbvols

Neale I hope they get you fixed up so you can enjoy your trip. Good thing you caught it before taking off. As for Lippert I have a very low opinion of them. I hope they take care of you.

dave10a

I had one hanger that developed a small hairline crack after 60,000 miles that I had spot welded. I think I caught it in time and have put many miles since repair with no further problems. I highly recomend that the hanger be checked ffrequently for cracks. I think it is sad that there are too many failures in an area that the manufacturers save a few cents. Where is DOT when you need them most.....

Heartland specs out with Lippert as to what they want and I think they should do a little better job with their specs and requirements.

212Pilot

One of many Mine did the same thing last year. Lippert paid for spring hangar replacement. I then added cross bars for extra support.

P1010694.jpg

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Sorry to hear this Neale. Hopefully ya will get it repaired quickly.

NWILSON

Parts are in hand (yes, I got a spare) with no argument from Lippert. Truck repair service will be here first thing in the morning and Heartland's reponse...."Just send us the bill and we'll send you a check"

porthole

Retired
Parts are in hand (yes, I got a spare) with no argument from Lippert. Truck repair service will be here first thing in the morning and Heartland's reponse...."Just send us the bill and we'll send you a check"

Well that is good to hear, but this is not a new problem and apparently not serious enough for the NHTSA to get involved. The passing the blame game gets old.

Heartland says it is a Lippert problem, Lippert says they build to Heartland specs. Problem with that is I have a hard time believing that Hertlnad supplies inferior specs and then Lippert builds them anyway, knowing they are inferior.

The blame is on Lippert.

Mark-Roberta 051995

Glad your getting it fixed. Keep that mobile service phone number handy as more of us in the local area may need it.

Enjoy your trip and be safe.

Mark

NWILSON

Hanger is good as new and we set off for a few days showing antique engines. The first time I applied brakes (Morryde Disk brakes) something didn't feel right. I made sure the controller was set for EOH then tried braking with the controller only...brakes but weak. I increased the setting from 3.5 to 6 and they felt better but far from what I was used to.

Further investigation showed that the rotors on the front axle were clean and shiny but the rotors on the other two axles were still showing some surface rust! I only had brakes on one axle.

I checked the reservoir....full. Looked for kinks in a line, especially around the broken hanger...all looks normal.
Back in the driveway I cracked the bleeder on the left rear (farthest from source line) and found very little flow. The bleeder on the front right produced plenty of fluid. Hmmm....what's causing the blockage?
IMG_2673.jpg
Apparently, when the rear spring hanger broke, the rear and middle axle shifted at some point (a tight turn perhaps?) and the forward equalizer (Morryde CRE3000) on the right side swung up and crushed the line. It wouldn't be able to do this normally but the rear spring, being unsecured, let the equalizer pivot anywhere it wanted.

I've spoken with Morryde and sent them pictures and they are going to see if there's a better option for placement of the hydraulic lines. They said I was the first but if it happens once it can happen again.

jbeletti

Neale, 3 Landmarks ago, I had the leaf spring suspension bottom out and the top of the spring pack u-bolt flattened my brake line.

That was a Heartland install. I think Dave H and I repaired and relocated that in Amana, IA.

rocrider50

Probably over 90% of these failures that I've seen so far are on triple axle trailers, like the Cyclone and Road Warrior toy haulers. That 3rd axle has a LOT of extra side load on it during turning maneuvers vs only 2 axles.

Just checked two double axle Torque units and both were failed.

porthole

Retired
Neale, 3 Landmarks ago, I had the leaf spring suspension bottom out and the top of the spring pack u-bolt flattened my brake line.

That was a Heartland install. I think Dave H and I repaired and relocated that in Amana, IA.

Who supplied the air suspension you had on your earlyLandmark?