Anderson hitch install

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
I installed the aluminum version today and while the hitch clamped on the gooseneck ball easy the hitch adapter for the pin was a pita.
It seemed the pin was super tight and the adapter wouldn't just slip on. I ended up lowering it onto the Anderson without the ball installed to press it on like a bearing. I was able to get it together but found installing forward it put the back of the hitch right over my tailgate so I spun it 180 degrees and fit perfectly.
Overall im impressed with the hitch and how easy it is to remove from the bed. I just hope I never have to take that adapter off the pin lol.
Anyome else have that adapter be difficult to install?

Eric1234

I have only had the andersen hitch for about 5-6 months. I had difficulty the first time installing it but it got a lot easier the next few times. I can tell you I really like the hitch and don't plan to ever go back to a standard fifth wheel hitch. Have a good night.

eric

CoveredWagon

I remove the ball from the hitch whenever I'm camping. No problem with the hitch pin, but then again I've been using them for years. You might try a little lube on the pin when you install it.

my mistake. I guess you were talking about the red adapter on the king pin. I have no idea what's going on there. Mine slips on and off with ease.

Last edited:

Gaffer

You may need to remove it for transport via forklift if you take it anywhere for service. Better solve this now. Keep us posted.

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
From what I see if I pull the cross bolts I can thread the Allen screws all the way in and it will press off pretty easy. The coach isn't going anywhere for a few months so not in a hurry to work with it.

CoveredWagon

From what I see if I pull the cross bolts I can thread the Allen screws all the way in and it will press off pretty easy. The coach isn't going anywhere for a few months so not in a hurry to work with it.

You may need to loosen the allen screws to relieve the pressure on the cross bolts first.

I'm going to have to remove mine in a week of so when I take it in for service. I don't trust the yard workers moving it with the adapter installed. I'm going to remove it today and make sure I'm not going to have an issue. If I discover anything I'll let you know.

CPDDet

I have an Anderson hitch on my 2017 Sundance. Had to take the unit to Goshen IN to have an auto level system installed at Lippert. They couldn't handle the kingpin adapter so I had to remove it and replace it when I picked it up 2 days later.

I had called ahead and confirmed that I would need to remove the adapter so I made sure I had the proper tools for the cross bolts, allen screws and self tapping screws that hold the locking mechanism (mine is mounted on the pin box).

Was a piece of cake, the adapter dropped right off. Took maybe 10-15 minutes to remove and another 10-15 minutes to remount.

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
Glad to hear it came off easy. I didn't mount my release as I wasn't sure if I would like the system but will be mounting soon I think. It pulled awesome and the road was very dippy (680 out of Livermore to gilroy) and it didn't push the truck around and never chucked. I was even overloaded a bit but no issues at all even passing semi trucks.
I was pulling my tag toy hauler and it was moving around quite a bit more and it was only 13k lbs. I think I weighed close to 17k on the 5th. Will weigh my truck empty so I can subtract it from the total.

CPDDet

I'll add that I'm very pleased with the Anderson hitch (I have the bed rail model) but never had a standard 5th wheel hitch so cant really speak to a comparison. No chucking, can hitch and unhitch at any angle and even at a pitch.

Ducky

I too am very pleased with the Anderson Hitch system on my 2017 Bighorn Traveler. Really love the ease of connection and disconnect from the tow vehicle.

We have had issues with our seller in Phoenix that requires us to remove and replace when dropping off for service. I have learned to remove the adapter in 15-20 minutes including the locking mechanism (release) by removing the handle and nuts.

CoveredWagon

I never did mount the release handle / cable. I just put it in the back of the truck by the Andersen hitch. It's also out of sight and not something that might be a curiosity. Not a big deal as I have to get into the bed to unhook the safety chains anyway.

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
I never did mount the release handle / cable. I just put it in the back of the truck by the Andersen hitch. It's also out of sight and not something that might be a curiosity. Not a big deal as I have to get into the bed to unhook the safety chains anyway.

Yea I'm really hesitant when it comes to drilling holes so I'll prolly leave mine unmounted as well

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I mounted the locking mechanism to a trim piece I used to trim around the pin box. Works great and easy to reach.

dgmjgo.png

BTW......really loving the Anderson.

Gweed

I have only had the andersen hitch for about 5-6 months. I had difficulty the first time installing it but it got a lot easier the next few times. I can tell you I really like the hitch and don't plan to ever go back to a standard fifth wheel hitch. Have a good night.

eric

Looking at a Anderson Hitch myself, are you still happy with it? Thanks