Another GVWR post

alexb2000

I tell ya, comparing the capabilities of a Ram 3500 SRW with a Ford F-350 SRW, Ram nails it with a much higher payload and a 12,300 GVWR available. I could tow our Bighorn easily with the Ram 3500 SRW put the comparable 2017 Ford SRW just isn't, well, comparable. Ram seems to have done their homework on that count. Too bad there's not enough headroom for me in their higher trim models.

Looks like a 2017 F350 CC 4X4 SRW with the HD towing package using a fifth wheel hitch can tow either 13.6K or 18K (short vs. long bed). Weight is limited on the long bed by the hitch rating or it would be 20K.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_SuperDtyPU_r2_Sep29.pdf

avvidclif

Looks like a 2017 F350 CC 4X4 SRW with the HD towing package using a fifth wheel hitch can tow either 13.6K or 18K (short vs. long bed). Weight is limited on the long bed by the hitch rating or it would be 20K.

https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/17RV&TT_Ford_SuperDtyPU_r2_Sep29.pdf

It's not what it can tow but what it can carry. Look at the last chart where they show the camper in the bed. That chart gives the load capacity and the 4x4 SRW is around 3k +/- 1k depending on bed. That's with the 6.7. That's not enough for a lot of the over 15K GVWR trailers The one in my sig has 3500 of pin weight.

SNOKING

A 20K 5th wheel with around 4K+ pin weight is going to exceed the RGAWR of just around all SRW 350/3500's. RAM sets the short and Long Bed 3500's at 17K +or- which is line with the RGAWR of 7K. I am not sure were you are getting your numbers. F350 SRW SB and LB are both 5th wheel rated at 18K, the RGAWR which is going to be tight with a 18K 5th wheel.

Chris

alexb2000

It's not what it can tow but what it can carry. Look at the last chart where they show the camper in the bed. That chart gives the load capacity and the 4x4 SRW is around 3k +/- 1k depending on bed. That's with the 6.7. That's not enough for a lot of the over 15K GVWR trailers The one in my sig has 3500 of pin weight.

A 20K 5th wheel with around 4K+ pin weight is going to exceed the RGAWR of just around all SRW 350/3500's. RAM sets the short and Long Bed 3500's at 17K +or- which is line with the RGAWR of 7K. I am not sure were you are getting your numbers. F350 SRW SB and LB are both 5th wheel rated at 18K, the RGAWR which is going to be tight with a 18K 5th wheel.

Chris

OK I see where you guys are coming from, Ram is much higher on payload rating. Another example of why I don't trust these rating numbers, the limiting factor IMO is the tires especially on a SRW. The Ram weights a little more similarly equipped and they both use the same rated tires.

Chris, I accidentally looked under the 10K GVWR option line, disregard those numbers. 18K hitch limited is the tow number.

Geodude

As others said, payload is the issue. Sure, my numbers show I can tow my camper with the new Ford but I'll run out of payload fast. My pin weight is 3,080 lbs and the payload on the Ford F-350 Platinum SRW long bed was only 3,015 lbs.

So the marketing department and the engineers didn't quite get their ducks lined up over at Ford HQ.

alexb2000

As others said, payload is the issue. Sure, my numbers show I can tow my camper with the new Ford but I'll run out of payload fast. My pin weight is 3,080 lbs and the payload on the Ford F-350 Platinum SRW long bed was only 3,015 lbs.

So the marketing department and the engineers didn't quite get their ducks lined up over at Ford HQ.

The craziest thing to me is that if we just get rid of that heavy diesel engine then our payloads shoot through the roof. Seems like we should see a one ton truck with a small aluminum four cylinder to haul the really big loads.

avvidclif

The craziest thing to me is that if we just get rid of that heavy diesel engine then our payloads shoot through the roof. Seems like we should see a one ton truck with a small aluminum four cylinder to haul the really big loads.

Then you would have to wait at the bottom of a molehill for a diesel to pull you up it..........GRIN

kf5qby

OK I see where you guys are coming from, Ram is much higher on payload rating. Another example of why I don't trust these rating numbers, the limiting factor IMO is the tires especially on a SRW. The Ram weights a little more similarly equipped and they both use the same rated tires.

Chris, I accidentally looked under the 10K GVWR option line, disregard those numbers. 18K hitch limited is the tow number.

The 275/70R18 that came on my Ram are rated at 3600 lbs. each. From what I have seen looking for replacements, that is about 500 lbs. each more than most E rated tires in alternate sizes. Most of the main tire brands are rated the same for that size tire.

alexb2000

The 275/70R18 that came on my Ram are rated at 3600 lbs. each. From what I have seen looking for replacements, that is about 500 lbs. each more than most E rated tires in alternate sizes. Most of the main tire brands are rated the same for that size tire.

My 2016 F250 came with E-rated Toyo ATs LT275/65R20 rated at 3,750 in a SRW application. Regardless, these threads would make someone believe I can't carry much more than a gallon of milk in the bed and Ram can fill the bed with lead bars.

Amazing Ford sells any of these trucks.

SNOKING

My 2016 F250 came with E-rated Toyo ATs LT275/65R20 rated at 3,750 in a SRW application. Regardless, these threads would make someone believe I can't carry much more than a gallon of milk in the bed and Ram can fill the bed with lead bars.

Amazing Ford sells any of these trucks.

The fact is that some are aware for load limits and others are not. The simple fact for 5th wheel towing is that pin weight vs the rear tire/axle rating is the limiting thing. My brother in law is visiting us right now. He has a 2008 ram 2x4 with 17" tires that give his truck a 6K rear axle rating and a Brookstone trailer with a dry pin weight of 2950. I wonder how much he is over on his rear axle. "CAT scale, what is that???"

We choose our BH3575el because it had a lighter dry pin weight than most trailers we looked at. Chris