Another Soaked In Fuel Day

JanAndBill

Love my Ford, but why anyone in their right mind would put a fuel filter under the truck and inside the fuel rail is beyond me. To make matters even worse, they mounted it horizontal instead of vertical, so every little dribble can run down your arm, while laying on your back in the accumulated puddle. Thankfully I've been lucky and haven't had to change them more than the regular service interval. :mad::mad::mad:

Mburtsvt

Love my Ford, but why anyone in their right mind would put a fuel filter under the truck and inside the fuel rail is beyond me. To make matters even worse, they mounted it horizontal instead of vertical, so every little dribble can run down your arm, while laying on your back in the accumulated puddle. Thankfully I've been lucky and haven't had to change them more than the regular service interval. :mad::mad::mad:

When I had my 6.0 I could always change the top one. The one in the frame rail - another story. After the second time I quit and let the Ford dealer do it. It took him 10 minutes - tops!

On another note: There are some youtube video's that show how its done. Very helpful.

RoadJunkie

I managed to get pretty good at changing the filters without making a huge mess:

A). Change rail filter when really low on fuel.
B) place truck on an incline, engine higher than bed, take fuel cap off.
C) Drain fuel/water separator
D) Change filter

This is not perfect, still get some fuel leaks , but much cleaner.

JanAndBill

I managed to get pretty good at changing the filters without making a huge mess:

A). Change rail filter when really low on fuel.
B) place truck on an incline, engine higher than bed, take fuel cap off.
C) Drain fuel/water separator
D) Change filter

This is not perfect, still get some fuel leaks , but much cleaner.

The incline would probably help some. I need to replace the plug with a valve which would help some. Since I change both at the same time it usually drains well. It's just the way the filter is oriented there's no good way to unscrew it and remove it without a diesel shower. If I had a pit or lift it wouldn't be so bad as you could stand to the side

avvidclif

The disadvantages of being skinny. I have to put the front tires on ramps to get my big belly under there. Then after draining it per the manual, no problem. Mine is a 2009 and may be different.