Anyone else having problems with RAM 3500?

AAdams

I have to ask if anyone else is having problems with their RAM. Ours is a '14 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 CC Long bed CTD / Aisin / 4.10. Right now we are going round and round with RAM over the numerous issues. So far, since January;

1. 2 fender flares coming off rear ( fixed )
2. LR TPIS sensor / valve stem bad - can not add/delete/check air in LR tire ( 5 weeks to get part )( fixed )
3. Water leak in to cab ( 2" under rear seat ) ( fixed )
4. 1 more fender flare coming off FR side ( fixed )
5. Clunking / grinding in rear end when putting in /out of gear ( I have paperwork from a service mgr saying this is normal ) ( still does on occasion, they did backlash adjustment )
6. whine at 60 mph when applying fuel, disappears when you take your foot off the pedal and resumes as soon as you put pressure back to give fuel ( can hear over radio at volume of 15 )
( still happening )( Paperwork that says this is 'normal')
7. FL tire read at 70 psi, I stopped and read with gauge, it was hot at 86 psi. 30 min later #8 happened ( they can not duplicate )
8. truck tried to shift in to 4x4 at 65 mph while towing, I was NOT trying to shift it, it was doing it on its own, then heard transfer case grinding, lost all power to drive. 2 errors to service 4 wheel drive system on dash, as soon as I read them both they cleared and I had full power again. RAM is unable to pull any codes from a Aisin transmission ( heard mechanic " I can't get any codes 'cause he has a Aisin" so they can not tell if there is a problem. ( can not duplicate, no codes available )( Scared the you know what out of me, we were in heavy traffic )
9. Was leaning on the truck by rear axle, not moving, slight rain outside and the doors unlocked. ( unknown, they will look at it )
10. They did read a code about the wipers, just cleared it and didn't fix it. ( Never had any problems with the wipers )( Overheard mechanic telling service adviser about this)

ADDITIONAL PROBLEMS ADDED 9/26/15
11. TPMIS not reading correctly, they replaced all tire sensors ( sent to tire store that was part of the FORD dealer )
12. TPMIS did not program itself correctly. Front tires showed as inside rear ( different part number ) Dealer had to manually reprogram
13. NAV randomly resets every 2 to 6 miles - NPF when I took to dealer
14. Electronic stability control light came on, dealer showed code for ABS brakes out of calibration, dealer reprogrammed software ( RAM denied warranty claim )
15. NAV randomly freezes on screen after start up, was in night mode during day.
I am having to take the truck in for more diagnostics and other test Monday and I am doubting they will find ( admit ) to anything. They are giving us a rental car for 5 days.

If anyone else is having any of these types of problems please let me know. When we take the truck in for anything they have to call RAM as soon as a dealer reads the VIN and can't work on it without approval first from RAM because all the problems.

Needless to say we are more than a little upset over this.

Thanks

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

I USED to drive a 2010 Ram. It was a great truck until it hit 70,000 miles. Then it turned into a Chrysler product. Nothing as bad as yours...I suspect there might be some problems with the dealer you are going to. IE: Setting the gear lash un the rear axle should make the noise go away not make it worse as it did in your case...I would contact Chrysler directly and see what they have to say....Don

AAdams

We have been in contact with RAM from problem #2 since they couldn't get a valve stem for 5 weeks. We now are under a "Star Case", what ever level that is in their system I have no idea, just it is 1 or 2 levels past the normal person you get when you call them. I am on my second dealer now......... they are supposedly going to get more technical support from RAM than they or the other dealer has had. First was in TX this one is near Springfield MO.

Bones

I have to ask if anyone else is having problems with their RAM. Ours is a '14 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 CC Long bed CTD / Aisin / 4.10. Right now we are going round and round with RAM over the numerous issues. So far, since January;

1. 2 fender flares coming off rear ( fixed )
2. LR TPIS sensor / valve stem bad - can not add/delete/check air in LR tire ( 5 weeks to get part )( fixed )
3. Water leak in to cab ( 2" under rear seat ) ( fixed )
4. 1 more fender flare coming off FR side ( fixed )
5. Clunking / grinding in rear end when putting in /out of gear ( I have paperwork from a service mgr saying this is normal ) ( still does on occasion, they did backlash adjustment )
6. whine at 60 mph when applying fuel, disappears when you take your foot off the pedal and resumes as soon as you put pressure back to give fuel ( can hear over radio at volume of 15 )
( still happening )( Paperwork that says this is 'normal')
7. FL tire read at 70 psi, I stopped and read with gauge, it was hot at 86 psi. 30 min later #8 happened ( they can not duplicate )
8. truck tried to shift in to 4x4 at 65 mph while towing, I was NOT trying to shift it, it was doing it on its own, then heard transfer case grinding, lost all power to drive. 2 errors to service 4 wheel drive system on dash, as soon as I read them both they cleared and I had full power again. RAM is unable to pull any codes from a Aisin transmission ( heard mechanic " I can't get any codes 'cause he has a Aisin" so they can not tell if there is a problem. ( can not duplicate, no codes available )( Scared the you know what out of me, we were in heavy traffic )
9. Was leaning on the truck by rear axle, not moving, slight rain outside and the doors unlocked. ( unknown, they will look at it )
10. They did read a code about the wipers, just cleared it and didn't fix it. ( Never had any problems with the wipers )( Overheard mechanic telling service adviser about this)

I am having to take the truck in for more diagnostics and other test Monday and I am doubting they will find ( admit ) to anything. They are giving us a rental car for 5 days.

If anyone else is having any of these types of problems please let me know. When we take the truck in for anything they have to call RAM as soon as a dealer reads the VIN and can't work on it without approval first from RAM because all the problems.

Needless to say we are more than a little upset over this.

Thanks

I am having a few problems with mine that are the same as yours.
Number 2. I had a TPMS sensor go out on me. They re-synced the sensor It has worked since but the truck now has a recall on them since January and no parts.
Number 3. is happening to me as well. I don't have as much water but it is soaking the drivers side under the rear seat.
Number 9. has happened to me on several occasions not exactly like yours but very similar situations when touching the the body of the truck. Mine won't lock a lot of times with the button.
My new issue is the dome lights wigging out. The freaking things pulse like a heart beat and then just stop.

I am considering applying for the lemon law here. The truck should not have these kinds of issues with less than 11k on the odometer. The engine pulls like a beast but the rest of the truck is not so good.

As far as you whine I had high gears one time and they whined a bit and they were lashed correctly. They just made noise.

2TrakR

The whine and associated issue sound like the rear end is out of whack (lash incorrect).
My dealer (GMC) did not have much experience with HD trucks, they replaced the pinion seal and did not torque it enough to set the crush-washer, had to take it back in. Your dealers may not have HD truck-savy techs either, which might be a big factor with several of the issues.

My limited dealer experiences tend to make me believe that it's hard to find a dealer with techs that have substantial experience with the HD trucks and that may in part be due to the lower repair/failure rates. Especially when the guys that tend to have the higher mileage trucks, where they would have issues, are working on it themselves vs having the dealer work on them.

Hope they are able to get it resolved for you; I would not be afraid to check around for other dealer/service options.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The rear end noise is backlash between the pinion gear and ring gear (pinion depth). If let go long enough, you will need a new gear set because of having a bad wear pattern that won't go away with just an adjustment. I don't know what brand of diff Ram uses...a Dana, Borg Warner??

cfulton

My '14 2500 had/has SEVERE shake-shudder in the drive train when pulling my 5th (minor unloaded). Starts at 2-3 mph and only tapers off at 30+++ , stuff on dash jumps around and off, your butt is moved about in the seat, and you can see the dash moving up and down a good 1/4 inch!

Long story short, 14 or so try's to fix, 30+ days in shop with 2 dealerships (seller dealership in MO and a dealership inTX). Got a lemon lawyer as the Houston regional rep told the service manager to tell me it was "normal"! He said BS and would not close the work order. So back to MO. Got with the dealership owner and laid all out in sequence. He got a regional rep out of K.C.

The rep came to the dealership very skeptical. Only pulled a 100 feet and he was like holy sh--. He had no clue as to the fix and had never heard of such. In the process they had replaced 3 complete drive shaft assemblies, plus shimming's, all measurements were in spec and same as on other crew-long trucks, and a bunch of other BS things that the "Star" folks had them do.

The K.C. rep report + the open work order got me the "go pick out a new truck"! Should get in this week!!

But it is a 3500 crew short bed an now you have my nervous attention!!!!!!!!!!
Only took me just short of a year so hang tight.
Cheers
PS both dealerships were super!

WOW !!! I recently looked at a 2015 Ram 3500 4X4 DRW. Pretty impressive truck I was thinking, but after reading these posts maybe not. I have a 2005 Ram 4X4 3500 and a 2006 Laramie both with 5.9 Diesel's ( the million mile motor ). Guess I am happy with what I have. Both run Great.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
While my truck is a 2011 2500 Ram this is my 4th Ram....not an issue on any of them....I have taken the extended warranty on all and have never used it on any of the vehicles....I pull horse trailers, wielder trailers and my North Trail....I am looking at the 3500 2016 Single wheel and have no concerns it also will do the job my 2500's have done....I think the very few posts here are not the NORM for the Ram Truck....My rancher buddies have Ford's, GMC etc and everyone has a story to tell....

avvidclif

While my truck is a 2011 2500 Ram this is my 4th Ram....not an issue on any of them....I have taken the extended warranty on all and have never used it on any of the vehicles....I pull horse trailers, wielder trailers and my North Trail....I am looking at the 3500 2016 Single wheel and have no concerns it also will do the job my 2500's have done....I think the very few posts here are not the NORM for the Ram Truck....My rancher buddies have Ford's, GMC etc and everyone has a story to tell....

There is a big difference from a truck used on a farm hauling whatever but usually mostly light stuff and a truck bought to haul an RV and is operated at close to max everytime it is used.

sengli

I have 2014 as well. My rear fender flares are coming off, that I can agree on. As for all the other issue's, I have luckily had none of those. Mine only has 1700 miles on it so far though.

JanAndBill

There is a big difference from a truck used on a farm hauling whatever but usually mostly light stuff and a truck bought to haul an RV and is operated at close to max everytime it is used.

Seriously? Apparently you haven't had much experience on a real working farm. Ours were used for work, not play, everyday, under a lot harsher conditions than you would ever encounter going down the highway.

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
I have a 2008 2500HD with the 6.7. Just went past 120K, pull my Big Country over 30K each year and (knock on wood) no repairs at all. It truly is the best vehicle I have ever owned. Hope that your issues get resolved.

cfulton

Agree that most have no issues. My '03 had 186,+++ when traded for a '12. No issues with it, just the normal routine maintenance. My '12 no problems pulling heavier than my '14. Just didn't like the regen so at 40,000 got my lemon. Except for the shake, love the truck.

AAdams

Don't get me wrong I still like the RAM brand, just think there is a major problem with this truck. The dealer has the truck now, we are in a rental for the next 5 days. This dealer is supposed to address the whine, clunk, electrical problems with the help of RAM corporate. I did find out that the code on the wipers is caused by a short to ground....... guess if there is a intermittent short to ground it could mess up a lot of computer systems.

GWRam

Traded our 13 2500 CC just a month ago for our 15 3500 Mega CC DRW. Have over 3000 miles so far 1100 towing. So far so good., I'll be watching out for the issues You mentioned..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bones

Agree that most have no issues. My '03 had 186,+++ when traded for a '12. No issues with it, just the normal routine maintenance. My '12 no problems pulling heavier than my '14. Just didn't like the regen so at 40,000 got my lemon. Except for the shake, love the truck.

What happened at the Regen?