Anyone use a CPAP machine while camping ???

bigdob24

Not sure where to post this, so I'll start here.
I have to get a CPAP machine for sleep apnea, was wondering if anyone else has one and what to expect running it off the batteries when dry camping.
Wont be a problem when at a campground or on the generator, but I do allot of camping where I can't run a generator at night.
I have been told they all run with a DC to AC adapter that has to be ordered extra. Someone said the make a DC one that can be operated off AC also. Just would like some input before I get a machine.
Thanks
Dan

jimtoo

Hi Dan,

Check out this thread. This was discussed a while back, hope it helps.

I will be moving the thread to a different area also.

Jim M

boatdoc

Some really good freinds of ours BOTH use them and I put an inverter in their Teton last year down South. The had machines already that they liked and asked if I would do the inverter since they knew we had one in our rig. No problems at all running both all night on the inverter powered by the batteries.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I use a bipap, which is an auto cpap, and the inverter is the answer. If u have a cigarette type plugin lighter it helps.

hoefler

I have one that runs 12 volts DC through a transformer that plugs into a standard 110 oulet. It will run on 12 volts real well. If you can run off the 12 volt power outlet with out using an invertor, your better off. Your invertor will consumer some of your power through the conversion process. Also, some electronic devices require a Pure Sine Wave invertor, a more costly unit.

Last edited:

randes

My Wife uses one. We added a 12v outlet right next to the 110v outlet on her side of the bed on our Bighorn. When we stay at a location without power, we just plug a 400 watt inverter into the 12v outlet and her cpap into that. Works just fine. If it is very cool by morning, (below 50), the inverter will sometime squeal a little, but we have never had it stop.

bigdob24

Thanks to everyone that replyed, sounds like I can find something that will work in any situation.
Dan

PUG

Pug
I have had a cpap for several years. Mine has two plug ins. One is DC the other is AC. In the Rv I leave it plugged into the DC (lighter plug I installed in closet) While at home it goes into AC. I also have a sailboat that we spend a lot of time on. This of course is DC. I have two batteries in the boat and I run off of just one (so I always have a fresh battery to start engine with) It doesn't consume enough to worry about. If yours isn't a dual voltage, get a small invertor

RollingHome

Dan, most PAPS (C or Bi) use DC (Direct Current (DC) electric) so why convert from DC to AC (inverter) and back ??? it all makes me dizzy ! The maker of your unit probably sells a DC cord which plugs into a cigarette lighter type receptable. We had our dealer install 2 (female cig recepts) near our bed in our BH. We just plug in and life is good ! I can do without the water (Humid's), Patti can't, however the single house battery runs our Paps all night and we charge it in the genny friendly time. Of course, when we camp non-primative we go to 120 AC and destroy the planet earth by not being green... Look at your unit and I'll bet it will run on 12 VDC and all ya need is a adapter cord and a female cig recept from your dealer. Happy Camping !

PUG

Pug
I use a RESMED Auto Set II. It has ac and dc plug ins. Have used it for several years. The heater plate went out after about three years and they replaced it free.

Bighurt

Not sure where to post this, so I'll start here.
Wont be a problem when at a campground or on the generator, but I do allot of camping where I can't run a generator at night.
Dan

I know many campgrounds here in ND that have quite hrs for generators, consider those dependent on medical devices exempt. You should inquire with the specific CG before assuming you are safe. But as far as I'm concerned keeping you alive is something I'm prepared to tolerate, specifically if you have a genset that meets the national park decibel standard.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I have a Phillips Respironics System One Bi-Pap with an auto recorder software sim card to record all my sleep events. Every 3 months they send me the results. It only has a plug in, with no batteries, so it requires electricity. They told there is a battery adapter available in November. My guess is that I will need an inverter or genny to dry camp.

Dan,
I run a Bi-PAP on a 250 watt inverter and a Costco Deep Discharge battery runs all night no problem. I turned off the humidifier but I did run the whole deal one night and the battery had plenty of reserve.

I use by cpap while dry camping. My husband installed an inverter so I can run it off the battery. Works great - have been doing so for 3 years.

trucknut

The resmed auto set 11(great machine) is 110v or 12v if you purchase the seprate transformer cord. I only dry camp and never have any problems with the cpap machine. I use an 8D battery in the trailer and one one on the truck. The one battery on the truck is charged while the truck is driven around during the day. Then at night I hook the truck to the trailer (battery), with plug in connectors.This has worked awsome for me, and really cuts down on the generater time. Due to the extra battery charging needed, an extra battery charger is hooked up to help charge when the generator does run. The extra battery is a must as the resmed will cut out if the voltage drops to low. Also when on 12 volt the cpap humidifer does not work as it uses the most power. If the truck is not driven, the genset needs to be run every third night, this allows one night of moist air! Camping in the mountains and running a small genset is not a problem, as I use a small honda with a long extention cord. Good luck!!!

FARMER45

i have a 600 watt pure sine wave inverter, 2 batterys on trailer, my c pap works great its a rem star auto

jsdidrick

I am planning a summer vacation with my new elkridge. I have been concerned about how to camp with my new cpap machine. I feel a lot better after reading all your comments. Our fist outing is a dry camp.

thanks

I think you would be fine with an inverter off of the camper battery or a separate battery. I purchased a second battery from Costco to run in parallel on my Bighorn. It can use it just for the inverter if I think the camper battery will get used up on cool nights with the heater running. I did on my JAyco but haven't had enough dry camping on the Bighorn to find out yet. But if its warm enough you won't use the heater, you should have enough capacity on the camper battery to run all night. The inverter I have is only 250 watts non sine wave and it runs the CPAP and heater fine. What type of CPAP do you have?

hoefler

If yours can run directly off of the 12 volt, it will use less energy to run it. I have had 2 different machines, both have a transformer reducing 110 AC to 12 volt DC, I found the correct plug at an electronics store that matched the one on the transformer cord and wired to a cigarette plug. My batteries do run down as much this way.