Are New Trailers Still Coming with LCD TV?

CrossWay

I was in Best Buy yesterday and noticed there was not one LCD TV in the store. All of the new TVs are now LED based. Since we have a new fifth wheel on order I decided to check the on-line brochure to see what type of TV to expect in our new trailer. It says they are LCD.
Can anyone tell me if the new trailers are, in fact, still coming with the now obsolete LCD TVs? Hopefully it is only the brochure that is lagging behind the technology curve.
Thanks, Gene

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I can't tell you what kind of TV they are putting in the new rigs, but the LCD is certainly not obsolete.

Peace
Dave

alex00

My Cyclone came with an LED Sansui TV in the living room. I didn't get the bedroom or garage TV so I'm not sure what they use for those.

dbbls59

I think LED tv's are actually LCD's.s As you have noticed, they are all what we call LED's and I don't think your trailer will come with the old style LCD tv.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Led refers to to the backlighting to the lcd panel. Yes, there is a true led type of tv using oled technolongy but is very expensive, and not widely available. It seems that led and lcd are used incorrectly and interchangably any more when referring to lcd tvs.

rod_s

Hi Crossway,

We ordered and took delivery of our 2015 Bighorn 3610 2 weeks ago tomorrow and it came with a Samsung led. I think you can expect the same. The brochure and web sites are very generic and outdated. Good luck with the new Savanna.

Rod

Rob63

I'm not sure why anyone would buy an RV with a television or order one with one when you can buy a better television , install it yourself and spend less money. When I bought my Trail Runner it didn't come with a television or wall mount and while discussing this with the dealership owner, he said basically the same thing. The money I saved by buying a television and mount through Amazon, paid for my electric Jack.

porthole

Retired
I wouldn't worry. LCD or LED, both are good.

Trailers like cars are built with "just in time" components. Which is why we so often see differences in unit to unit.
If LED's are the current rage, then the odds are that is what will be in the trailer.

Now if it came with a CRT, I would be concerned.

danemayer

Here's an article from less than a year ago explaining the technology differences. As usual with consumer technology, the marketing people pick and promote one factor out of many to make their product seem more advanced. Kind of like the megapixel wars on cameras a few years ago (does a 10 megapixel camera give you higher quality pictures than a 5 megapixel camera? Not necessarily.)

As mentioned below, LEDs TVs use LCD displays with LED backlighting and as the article points out, just about all LCD TVs are now using LED backlighting.

CrossWay

Thank you for all the feedback, and so quick. I realized I made a poor choice of words, referring to the LCD technology as obsolete. It certainly isn't. Thanks Dave for the correction. Both style TVs produce excellent pictures...I'm sure I won't be able to tell the difference. We are going to be pleased beyond measure when we get our new home.
As usual, the information I received on this forum is spot on. I decided to do a little research myself...found a good explanation here: http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisions/qt/ledlcdtvfacts.htm. Turns out an LED TV is a form of LCD TV, it just uses LEDs for the backlighting, instead of the florescent backlighting found in traditional LCD TVs. Just like Heartland advertises they use LED lighting in their coaches for brighter and more efficient area lighting, the LED backlighting in a TV has the same advantages.
Regardless, both types of TVs produce excellent results. I know I won't be disappointed when our new 5th wheel finally arrives.
Thanks again for all your help and information.
Gene

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I bought both Vizio LED TV's (Walmart) and the wall mounts (Camping World) for less than what one TV from Heartland would have cost.

And they are much better TV's as well!

However, they are not 12-volt TV's, so can't watch them unless plugged in to shore power.

One thing to consider . . . LED TV's weigh far less and are much skinnier than LCD TV's . . .

Which is a very big concern when using them in an RV.