ATF: Big Country - Central Vac

CCWREW

Took delivery of Bighorn in March of 2012. Been using the Yellow Jacket central vac and has worked great. This trip however (October 19, 2013) the vac stopped working and the motor stopped. Figured the bag was full. Went to the canister in the bay and undid the lid to get to the bag and low and behold I find that there was no bag attached. There was however, three new bags sitting in the canister in the original plastic bag. Needless to say I put on a new bag, waited awhile, and nothing. Even the next day the vacuum will still did not work. Figure the motor burned out due to no bag attached and all the dirt got into the housing. Never dawned on me that a new central vacuum system in my new Bighorn would be delivered without a bag attached. Wish someone would have told me. So, how and where can I go about getting a replacement canister for the central vac and any suggestions on how to remove the old one?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to call Heartland Customer Service and explain your problem. They should be able to guide you to your best source for a new unit.
One thing you could do is be sure it is still plugged in. If you have a vent in the wall you might be able to get a look by removing the vent.
Or you may have to remove the carpeted black wall.
You will have to remove the wall to change out the vac.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

Not sure who is going to help you here....can only hope someone will step up to the plate. My thought is this is a dealership problem with final prep. But I am sure they will all play the "out of warranty" card.

If no one will help I have an idea for you. The Yellow Jacket I think is about $300....I saw a really nice (and small) shop vac type unit at Home Depot the other day for about $100. I thought to myself that if my unit gives out (we are out of warranty in a few days) that I would rig that small unit into the system. You already have the wands, heads, etc. All you'd have to do is rig up a relay that when you plug in the hose it will turn on the 110 V. But as mentioned prior you have all the wiring in place....just need to rig up a relay.

Best,

Bob Vaughn

Mine was not even plugged in when it came from the factory.....Too bad it does not have a beater bar in the pick up head because it will not pick up hardly anything. I bought a pet model Bissel vacuum and that does a good job. A little bulky but does a much better job of picking up pet hair and sand and dirt...

Gizzy

Mine was not even plugged in when it came from the factory.....Too bad it does not have a beater bar in the pick up head because it will not pick up hardly anything. I bought a pet model Bissel vacuum and that does a good job. A little bulky but does a much better job of picking up pet hair and sand and dirt...

We use an upright vac in the house and I just removed the small beater bar attachment for it and use it in the coach. Works great. I agree that without it the system is not very useful on the carpet.

CCWREW

For anyone interested---called parts department and I can buy a new unit for $168.00. (but don't need all the houses and connectors and such) However, an online search provided me an option of just buying the power unit for $99 from Amazon. Did take the old unit out last weekend and did have to remove the carpeted partition, but replacing the unit is easy. Must, however, find the correct PCV T-connector. Haven't tried yet but probably Loews or plumbing supply house. By the by, can't get the Eureka model number unless you remove the unit .. CV 140 if you are interested.

porthole

Retired
Central vac pipes and fittings are different then standard PVC plumbing parts. They are thinner wall and polished on the inside.

I don't have the link with me today, but I get all my parts online. All the parts are readily availale.