ATF: Bighorn - Battery

dcwettstein

What are the specifications of the battery that came with my Bighorn 3160RE. I would like to add another battery and would like to have the same battery. I would like to know the Amps and the manufacturer.

Last edited:

jimpav

I don't know which mfg. you have in your BH, but in my new Gateway, I have two black unmarked 12 volt batteries. After a bit of research, I found out that they are made by Exide, and are of the "economy" version. They are wet cells, and are extremely hard to get to the caps to check the fluid level. Hope yours is more "user friendly"

Westwind

Just replaced my 3 year old Exide with a new Interstate, for the last year I've been trying to figure out why it was using so much water, I even replaced my Progressive Converter thinking it was overcharging the battery and boiling the water out. The acid made a mess of the frame and battery box bracket. But even with the new converter the battery emptied out of water- so it is now gone!

donr827

On my 2013 they were size 24 batteries. I believe it is a Exide but not sure. They could change battery suppliers at any time based on cost..........Don

chaplady

My Sundance had issues with interstate battery excessive water useage for lack of better term. Replaced it under warranty with another interstate battery. Had system checked by dealer came home 3 weeks later battery low on water would not hold charge after replenishment of water. Change out battery to Exide brand fine ever since.

pegmikef

What are the specifications of the battery that came with my Bighorn 3160RE. I would like to add another battery and would like to have the same battery. I would like to know the Amps and the manufacturer.

Noone could tell me the battery specs so I just pulled it and use it as a spare trolling motor battery. I replaced it with two group 27 Exides a year ago. I have had to add water once and it is on my list to check them this week. No problem at all maintaining the charge (we are alway connected to shore power unless we are on the road).

FWIW, I just checked my Exides and they required less than 1/2 cup of water each. That's about the same as six months ago.

Last edited:

pegmikef

Yeah with my TT I always used Trojans from my Golf Cart. They wouldn't fit the battery boxes in the BH so I used the exides. It just rubbed me wrong to have to buy new boxes for a brand new trailer. . . however, it won't be brand new when I have to replace the exides so I will probably go with Trojans.

texasron

I buy my batteries at Costco, everyone knows how good they are, plus if you have problems you can fine a Costco almost anywhere.

Jim.Allison

I have tried to get amp hour information on Costco Batteries and it is not published. So how good is a Costco battery when they won't even give the 20 hour-amp hour value of a golf cart battery this is the most basic information required for a deep cycle battery. If you have an industrial battery you won't be looking to replace batteries, you will know far in advance that you need to replace them.

I buy my batteries at Costco, everyone knows how good they are, plus if you have problems you can fine a Costco almost anywhere.

Jim.Allison

I don't use battery boxes. They are clean and I keep them clean, do not need battery boxes. Your battery cabinet already meets the requirement. It is wise to ventilate your battery cabinet while equalizing. My batts are large and two take up my entire battery cabinet and there is no battery box manufactured for this size battery. I thought about making my own, but after my install turned out so good, I let the thought go. WhenI wash the rig I wash out the battery cabinet as well, just to make sure.
Yeah with my TT I always used Trojans from my Golf Cart. They wouldn't fit the battery boxes in the BH so I used the exides. It just rubbed me wrong to have to buy new boxes for a brand new trailer. . . however, it won't be brand new when I have to replace the exides so I will probably go with Trojans.

pegmikef

I don't use battery boxes. They are clean and I keep them clean, do not need battery boxes. Your battery cabinet already meets the requirement. It is wise to ventilate your battery cabinet while equalizing. My batts are large and two take up my entire battery cabinet and there is no battery box manufactured for this size battery. I thought about making my own, but after my install turned out so good, I let the thought go. WhenI wash the rig I wash out the battery cabinet as well, just to make sure.

My BH doesn't have a separate battery compartment. There are two vented battery boxes in the generator compartment and the vented boxes are really the only practical way to vent the batteries in that compartment. I suppose one could fabricate a separate box, but my setup has worked well for a year now so I don't really see any reason to change it. As we have grown older we are doing almost no boondocking anymore so I almost always have shore power.

Jim.Allison

For those that are scanning the forum for information, batt boxes are easy to build, some build them out of beer coolers. But your application would be more conducive to an AGM deep cycle battery system. Here you only need a rack to hold them and something to cover the post so that you dont vaporize some metal object that accidently shorts it out. But you right if you don't have an inverter and all you are doing is using the charger to power your units DC system, and occasionally raising or lowering your lift, who needs industrial batteries.
My BH doesn't have a separate battery compartment. There are two vented battery boxes in the generator compartment and the vented boxes are really the only practical way to vent the batteries in that compartment. I suppose one could fabricate a separate box, but my setup has worked well for a year now so I don't really see any reason to change it. As we have grown older we are doing almost no boondocking anymore so I almost always have shore power.

Jim.Allison

I have an honest question about Costco batts. I really want to know how many amp hours does a Costco golf cart battery at the 20 hour rating?