ATF: Bighorn - Question with respect to tire quality on new rigs

GregBassine

Hello, we have a 2014 Bighorn 3260EL. When we purchased the RV new, the tires which came with the rig were: TowMax STR ST235/80R16 which is a 10 ply tire.

Checking with other Heartland owners who had gotten the same tires on their RV, most call them "Blow Max" instead of Tow Max because they fall apart so often.

We just bought LT235/85R-16/14 Geostar G574 All Steel Highway tires which are 14 ply. These seem to be comparable to what owners are recommending put on their Heartland RVs (at least Bighorns).

One of our Tow Max tires just had the tread separate from the rest of the tire which spurred us changing our tires to (what we believe) a more safer tire. We had less than 2,000 miles on the rig.

My question is since these rigs are darned heavy from the factory to begin with, then we load it up with our "stuff", water, etc., at Heartland, who in their right mind thought a 10 ply tire would work, especially one with what sounds like it has a horrible track record such as Tow Max?

I trust recommendations from the user group people I have talked with, and I trust recommendations by my tire store which I've been doing business with for over 40 years. They all say don't use such a light weight tire such as what is standard on our rigs.

Just would like to know your thoughts and if I am completely off base. Thank you.

danemayer

Hi GregBassine,

The GVWR of the trailer, which should reflect full loading (but not overloading), less the weight that sits on the hitch, gets divided across the wheels/tires. The Towmax tires have a load spec that matches or exceeds the portion of the trailer weight that sits on the wheels.

The problem is that many people have still experienced failures, despite the load rating seemingly being sufficient. A lot of people have successfully switched to other LR E tires that may even have a lower load rating, but work better.

Unfortunately, despite many failure reports on forums, no one ever seems to have made a failed Towmax tire available to NHTSA for determination of the cause of failure. If NHTSA found a manufacturing defect, they could take action to protect people with those tires.

GregBassine

Not sure what NHTSA means, however "Assume" it's some sort of governing tire body. How would one make a tire available to them? If is feasible to even do so? I just let my tire dealer dispose of the one that fell apart that I replaced. I would think that since you have been experiencing customers with the same problem, you would spend a few dollars more and put tires on your new rigs which do NOT have problems reported. Also, I would think that you'd query your existing Heartland owners to see what rigs they have and if they've experienced problems with their tires. I know you have queried other Heartland owners with respect to design on future rigs. There is one thing with putting a tire on a new rig that is less expensive and just passes by with respect to max weight... there's another which says that it's a known problem... maybe we should spend a few more dollars and put tires on new rigs which exceed recommendations knowing full well that not every new rv buyer is a pro with respect to weight distribution of their rig. Just sayin'.

Hi GregBassine,

The GVWR of the trailer, which should reflect full loading (but not overloading), less the weight that sits on the hitch, gets divided across the wheels/tires. The Towmax tires have a load spec that matches or exceeds the portion of the trailer weight that sits on the wheels.

The problem is that many people have still experienced failures, despite the load rating seemingly being sufficient. A lot of people have successfully switched to other LR E tires that may even have a lower load rating, but work better.

Unfortunately, despite many failure reports on forums, no one ever seems to have made a failed Towmax tire available to NHTSA for determination of the cause of failure. If NHTSA found a manufacturing defect, they could take action to protect people with those tires.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Starting on some late 2014 BH's and BC's....HL was putting Sailon's 14 ply tires on. The LM's were getting GY 614's and I think in 2015 the LM's are getting 17.5 Goodyears. My dates/years could be wrong....but HL listened and got rid of the "blowmax" tires on the heavier rigs.

BTW, HL was not the only one's using "Blowmax" tires.

GregBassine

Thanks for the feedback. Our 2014 had blow max's. It is "heartening" to hear that Heartland did notice and are making changes. Blowouts are bad enough. To get them because the MFG went cheap on tires is to me unexcusable. So, good to hear something is being done. It didn't sound like it was based upon the original reply I received. Thanks again for the feedback.

Starting on some late 2014 BH's and BC's....HL was putting Sailon's 14 ply tires on. The LM's were getting GY 614's and I think in 2015 the LM's are getting 17.5 Goodyears. My dates/years could be wrong....but HL listened and got rid of the "blowmax" tires on the heavier rigs.

BTW, HL was not the only one's using "Blowmax" tires.

brianlajoie

Not sure what NHTSA means, however "Assume" it's some sort of governing tire body. How would one make a tire available to them? If is feasible to even do so?

Surprised you don't know what NHTSA stand for. It stands for National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. To make the tire available to them would require sending the tire to them for inspection.

I had blow max tires on my trailer. Used them for 7500 miles than traded them in for GY G614's. Yes, I got money for trade in on blow max tires. :)

danemayer

Not sure what NHTSA means, however "Assume" it's some sort of governing tire body. How would one make a tire available to them? If is feasible to even do so?
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration run by the Federal Gov't. One of the areas they watch over is tires.
Safercar.gov is where tire failures can be reported. But to be effective, the DOT # is needed. And you can in your filing, offer to make the tire available. You can research consumer complaints filed on specific tire brands. One surprising thing is that Towmax is not leading when it comes to complaints, and has not been required by the gov't to issue any recalls, whereas other brands have. Last time I checked, which was over a year ago, Goodyear Marathon LR E tires had more complaints than Towmax. Goodyear Marathons are more expensive than Towmax, so paying more may, but doesn't necessarily lead to better results.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Greg, the discussion about TowMax has been going on since 2011, at least what I recall, which is when we had our first failure with them on our ElkRidge (GVWR 14,350, actual weight 12,600). I am sure any tire contract, and especially after Thor bought out Heartland, was a large and lengthy one. But by the numbers, the tires should have been within the safety specs. When real-world experience suggested these tires were failing prematurely, I am sure they could not just "jump ship" from such a massive contract. I believe Heartland did push Tredit, the tire supplier, to implement some kind of improvement and also a roadside assistance program for TowMax tires. The Tredit Rep at the Goshen Rally in 2013 said they make regular inspections at the plant in China, and that additional steel belts were being added to the tires. Sadly, we still hear of failures.

So to say Heartland knowingly put unsafe tires on rigs is false. I do think in 2014 they started to move away from TowMax for the heavier rigs.

SNOKING

While staying at Guaranty's RV hook up area in Junction City, Or the night after delivery, I talked to a follow BH owner with a 2014 with Blow Max tires. He was getting ready to travel to Florida. I told him if he liked his trailer he should replace the Blow Max's before leaving. He said he worked for Guaranty and would check with them the next morning. I told him to get the S637 Sailun's. Chris

GregBassine

Surprised you don't know what NHTSA stand for. It stands for National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. To make the tire available to them would require sending the tire to them for inspection.

I had blow max tires on my trailer. Used them for 7500 miles than traded them in for GY G614's. Yes, I got money for trade in on blow max tires. :)

Glad to hear it worked well for you. I am not an acronym type of person. Guess if I wanted to invest some research time, I could have figured it out. I can give you a ton of acronyms for subjects I am very familiar with then be surprised as well that you don't know what they mean.

I must have upset you, and I apologize. I will not keep this thread going with banter, so am signing off. Thanks to all for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, that was what I was hoping to hear. I appreciate your input.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. You hit the nail on the head on what I was trying to express. My tire blew out in the parking lot of Les Schwab Tires here in Tigard (Oregon). Any other place and I would have been #^&%*%^*...

Heading out today with brand new Geostar G574s. Feeling much safer. Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info, and I agree. Thank goodness there is a user group for us newbies...