ATF: Bighorn - Slider Hitch

Lstierw

We just bought a 2013 Bighorn Which we will be pulling with a dodge 63" short bed. With the 88 degree turning radius, do I need a slider hitch?

Pizzaguy

My opinion is no. I have pulled campers for the last 15 years with a short box and no slider. I was never in a situation that I would have needed it.

jnbhobe

We just bought a 2013 Bighorn Which we will be pulling with a dodge 63" short bed. With the 88 degree turning radius, do I need a slider hitch?
I would look close at it, your only talking about a 5' 3" bed compared to a 6' or 6 3/4' on a Chevy or Ford shortbed. Everything will be fine till that one time your not paying attension.

GOTTOYS

I'm thinking Dodge might only have the 63" box on a 1/2 ton. Are you sure it isn't a 6'3" box? I'm thinking a 1/2 ton won't be enough truck for a Big Horn....Don

priorguy

1/2 ton definitely not enough for a bighorn. I recommend a sidewinder kingpin That way you never forget to pull the slider back. It's fully automatic because it moves the point if rotation from the truck bed back to the trailer. Lots of YouTube videos out there of short bed half tons turning circles with fivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donr827

I have had Ford short beds for 9 years with the same Pullrite slider hitch. Our Bighorn looks like it would not be needed but it is possible that you might run into backing situation where you wish you had it.
Don

Lstierw

Sorry, the bed length is 6'-3" (75") on my 05 dodge 3500 quad cab. Would a slider be necessary? Thanks, Les

GOTTOYS

I have the same size bed on my Dodge. I use a Super-Glide on mine. Probably don't need it but it's automatic. I try not to turn that sharp as it's hard on the tires and trailer running gear....Dodges have the shortest cab to axle distance of the Big 3 shortbox trucks so there could be some clearance issues..My Super-Glide is the one that uses std bedrails and fits onto those so it was the least expensive one they make. Shop online for whatever you decide on then compare their prices to what you can get locally. Some dealers seem to want a HUGE profit on hitches....Don

Lstierw

I have the same size bed on my Dodge. I use a Super-Glide on mine. Probably don't need it but it's automatic. I try not to turn that sharp as it's hard on the tires and trailer running gear....Dodges have the shortest cab to axle distance of the Big 3 shortbox trucks so there could be some clearance issues..My Super-Glide is the one that uses std bedrails and fits onto those so it was the least expensive one they make. Shop online for whatever you decide on then compare their prices to what you can get locally. Some dealers seem to want a HUGE profit on hitches....Don[/QUOTE

Thanks Don, I appreciate the imput. I've bought the Bighorn but won't be using it until spring so I have some time. May look for manual slider or used auto slider....Les

yport

I have a Ford shortbed ... had a slider hitch put in when we bought our first 5'er because of all the war stories I've heard. Had a 38' Fleetwood Regal (not a 88 degree turn ratio as my new Big Horn now has). In 4 years I only used the slide option twice - both times turning into my sister's NY street which is quite a bit more than a 90 degree turn. Rarely even came close to needing it otherwise, and if I did come close ... I just pull forward and back a couple times. No big deal. I actually wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it. Now with the 88 degree ratio I'll never worry - except my sister's street !! lol ... of course all I would really need to do is go past her street, turn around and come back at it!!

My brother-in-law has the Superglide with his 38' Mobile Suites ... says he only needs it to get into his street! Otherwise some of those units - like his Superglide - are so heavy that he never takes it out of the bed. I easily pop mine out and back as I need to when not camping to carry my kayaks, bikes etc. around.

Lstierw

Thanks for the info. I have decided to get the superglide. How do I know which capture to order for my bighorn 3010 RE? Or can you just order the universal one? Thanks, Les

jnbhobe

Thanks for the info. I have decided to get the superglide. How do I know which capture to order for my bighorn 3010 RE? Or can you just order the universal one? Thanks, Les

Your pin box is probably a 1625 or 1625HD

GOTTOYS

The universal capture plate is pretty "old school". It requires drilling a bazillion holes to mount it. Look at the Factory website for the Super Glide and check out the capture plates they sell. There is one made for your pin box. It's somewhat universal and fits a couple others as well. No holes to drill, no welding. Just bolts into place with one setscrew...Don