ATF: Bighorn - Whisper Quiet ducting design issue

I had a mobile RV repair technician come out and performed the service bulletin on both of my air conditioning units. They only have you sealing two of the original mounting holes--I guess the others aren't in a location of concern. Then you drill lots of holes in the plastic base to drain better. We also found quite a few holes that had debris from installation (wood shavings, plastic, etc.) that were clogging up existing holes and opened them up. It seems as though sloppy installation contributed to all this along with the draining in the right location. I've had both air conditioning units running for over 6 hours now with no leaks. Since the technician wasn't a "Heartland" warranty approved tech (he is Dometic) I paid him--hope Heartland comes through with my reimbursement without problems. For those with flow questions, the service bulletin does not address this.

There is damage to the ceiling in the form of water stains. Anyone have any idea how hard this is to repair? It seems to be some sort of "paper" applied to the ceiling material. While this is a warranty issue, I have some concerns about how quickly my dealer can do this (and how competently).

Just a quick update. It's been five days since the service bulletin was performed. Our weather has not been too hot, but the air conditioning units have been running a lot with no more leaking. Looks like the fix worked.

SNOKING

I completed the TSB on both my units today drilling the holes and sealed up the front drivers side corner of the return plenum. There is a gap to the attic on both units, I had put gorilla tape on these gaps a couple weeks ago, so I redid them with the HVAC tape.

I put dielectric grease on the data cable coupler contacts.

On the rear unit I found this.

I taped up this large hole to the attic on the door side of the return plenum. Also sealed the small hole around the black wire. I used the foil sticky back rubberized HVAC tape.

Testing both units I found the air mostly passing right over the registers on each side of the rear unit and coming out the end ones. I have the supply duct blocked between the two systems.

More work to check end dams and sky light cutouts.

We have a lot of friends retired from Boeing QC and they would never had allowed these type production screw ups to go out the door.

Chris

Last edited:

Power247

I just wanted to say thanks to all that contributed to this thread. Our first trip out with our new Pioneer we found the ducted AC to perform very poorly in the bunkhouse room. While not from the same line of camper.... the info and pics here helped me find and repair several gaps between the roof mounted unit and the forward and rear ducts.

Thanks again!!

Greg
2012 | 2500 | CCSB | Custom MCC by Double R Diesel

Last edited:
Hello all! So informative to read through these threads. Us newbies learn how much more we need to learn :p I am having similar challenges with both the A/Cs in my 2017 3575EL but have received no notice of ducting issues from Heartland or Dometic. The bedroom one leaked copiously the first night we used it and we haven't turned it back on. The living room A/C blows cool into the bedroom and we've been fortunate to not have had really steamy weather yet. The last time we used it, 3 days ago, it went into E1 code and fan only. The unit is going back to the dealer on the 26th for service so I'm hopeful the problems will be resolved or units replaced. My question is the water stains on the ceiling. The bedroom ceiling is stained along the join between the 2 duct runs and the living room ceiling, which is coffered, is stained around the four vents over the kitchen island. I'm concerned about mold/mildew in the roof layers and the ability of the dealership to replace/repair the ceiling. Has anyone experienced this with satisfactory results yet? Would it be something that would be better handled at the Heartland factory? We're in VT and wouldn't get near Elkhart before October so may have to rely on a less than ideal fix. Much appreciate your responses.

danemayer

Hello all! So informative to read through these threads. Us newbies learn how much more we need to learn :p I am having similar challenges with both the A/Cs in my 2017 3575EL but have received no notice of ducting issues from Heartland or Dometic. The bedroom one leaked copiously the first night we used it and we haven't turned it back on. The living room A/C blows cool into the bedroom and we've been fortunate to not have had really steamy weather yet. The last time we used it, 3 days ago, it went into E1 code and fan only. The unit is going back to the dealer on the 26th for service so I'm hopeful the problems will be resolved or units replaced. My question is the water stains on the ceiling. The bedroom ceiling is stained along the join between the 2 duct runs and the living room ceiling, which is coffered, is stained around the four vents over the kitchen island. I'm concerned about mold/mildew in the roof layers and the ability of the dealership to replace/repair the ceiling. Has anyone experienced this with satisfactory results yet? Would it be something that would be better handled at the Heartland factory? We're in VT and wouldn't get near Elkhart before October so may have to rely on a less than ideal fix. Much appreciate your responses.
Hi AlmostThere,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Let me suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They can tell you 1) whether your A/C is included in the Technical Service Bulletin that was issued, and 2) specific answers to your questions.

SNOKING

I would advise you quit using both units as they both are leaking water into the return plenum. Call CS as Dan noted. If you need the cooling, then arrange with CS to have someone do the TSB right away. I completed it myself. Then address the staining with Heartland. This water issue a major issue created by changes that Dometic made to the AC units. Lucky we only had a small amount of water on the bed and no staining, and quit using the AC units.

Hope they do right by you, ours is a 2017 3575el also. We love the floor plan with the butler's pantry area.

Chris

Thanks for the info. We'll definitely call CS tomorrow and reply with an update, hopefully a good one! Neither of us are mechanically inclined so if the TSB work applies to our unit and requires more than opening something up, we'll probably need to wait until our service appt. or have a mobile tech come out. We have stopped using both of them for now.

I called CS only to find we hadn't received notice of the TSB because we weren't registered yet! I called the dealer, who admitted they are behind on registering units sold, and was assured that they are aware of the problem and it will be taken care of when we bring the rig in. Fingers and toes crossed :p

Dpap3737

Greetings All:

First post here. We are new owners of a 2017 Bighorn 3270RS. We were of the impression that the Whisper Quiet system duct-work was tied in to one another (bedroom BR and living room LR). The BR unit is very loud when running and trying to sleep. We thought you could run the LR unit at night for a quieter BR environment but realized that there is no air flow in the BR duct work when LR unit is running and vice versa when the BR unit is running (no air flow in LR). It appears these units are completely isolated from one another. Is this a normal design for these systems? Thanks for any info provided.

Dan

danemayer

Greetings All:

First post here. We are new owners of a 2017 Bighorn 3270RS. We were of the impression that the Whisper Quiet system duct-work was tied in to one another (bedroom BR and living room LR). The BR unit is very loud when running and trying to sleep. We thought you could run the LR unit at night for a quieter BR environment but realized that there is no air flow in the BR duct work when LR unit is running and vice versa when the BR unit is running (no air flow in LR). It appears these units are completely isolated from one another. Is this a normal design for these systems? Thanks for any info provided.

Dan
Hi Dpap3737,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

When Heartland started shipping the Whisper Quiet system a few years ago, the ducts were common, and supported the usage you're describing. Some recent comments from people checking their ducts suggests that Heartland may have changed the common duct design. Or perhaps manufacturing didn't follow engineering's instructions.

I'd suggest you call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. Customer Service should be able to help.

Circle back around and let us know what you find out.

padre44

My 3570 is the same - separate ducting for each unit. Don't know if that's the way its supposed to be or not. It is certainly not "whisper quiet."

SNOKING

Well, it was 78 in the trailer when we got here today. So I thought it wold be a good time to test the TSB results and the results of separating the two systems. Fired them both up and in about 30 minutes I was down to 72 degrees with the units starting to cycle. Happy at this point. Chris

Dpap3737

Hey folks, checking back in to advise what CS stated regarding the duct work in our 3270. CS stated the duct work is supposed to be common/tied in to one another and authorized a service call to inspect the system.

Will let you know what I find out as soon as I can get someone to take a look at it.

Dan

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I got an E5 on the Bedroom thermostat. One of the causes is the coil is frozen. So up on the roof I went after turning off the power to the bedroom AC. I removed the cover to the unit on the roof and saw the condensing coil and a metal cover over the evaporator coil. More that half of the screws were missing from the metal cover and it was not making a seal. I removed the metal cover over the evaporator coil and noticed it was filthy dirty. The unit was not froze up. I cleaned the dirt (brushed and blew it off) from the evaporator coil. Then I replaced the metal cover over the evaporator coil making sure all of the screws were in the cover. I also took some foil AC tape and sealed the edge of the cover. I replaced the AC shroud went back inside and turned on the breaker for the AC. Turned on the AC, the E5 was gone and the unit is working great. The air is now cooler and more flow from the vent.

As a side note with the metal cover removed I could see in ductwork. I determined that with the metal evaporator coil cover loose and not making a seal it was allowing dirt into the coil and hot outside air into the ductwork which would send that mixed hot and cold air into the RV. The dirt clogged coil would not allow enough airflow causing the E5 fault much like a frozen coil will not allow enough airflow causing an E5 fault.

Hello All. Sorry for the delayed post...campground WiFi :( Finally broke down and got a MiFi so can connect and stay connected :) Our AC saga continues. The dealer 'fixed' the AC units by cleaning the construction debris stuck in the drain holes of the pans so they both worked when we got Baby Huey back. The front unit worked once and will not turn back on. It still shows no heat pump on the control panel but the serial number designates that is has one, so the dealer is expecting that the control panel is bad or not programmed properly. A call from the dealer to Heartland about repairing the water stained ceilings wasn't a quick and easy transaction. The dealer is reluctant to do the repair as the ceiling in the LR is coffered and they would rather it is fixed at the factory. We agree. The first CS rep wasn't authorized to allow that so it went up the chain a bit and now I need to call a certain rep to schedule an appt. They are balking about putting us up if the repair takes more than a day. The argument is that Dometic is responsible for the problem, not Heartland. Other than this continuing AC issue, we really love our new home and are excited to be so close to being on the road...just over a month to lift off :) Hope to see some of you out there! Now that we have good WiFi I'll try to keep you all better posted.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I got an E5 on the Bedroom thermostat. One of the causes is the coil is frozen. So up on the roof I went after turning off the power to the bedroom AC. I removed the cover to the unit on the roof and saw the condensing coil and a metal cover over the evaporator coil. More that half of the screws were missing from the metal cover and it was not making a seal. I removed the metal cover over the evaporator coil and noticed it was filthy dirty. The unit was not froze up. I cleaned the dirt (brushed and blew it off) from the evaporator coil. Then I replaced the metal cover over the evaporator coil making sure all of the screws were in the cover. I also took some foil AC tape and sealed the edge of the cover. I replaced the AC shroud went back inside and turned on the breaker for the AC. Turned on the AC, the E5 was gone and the unit is working great. The air is now cooler and more flow from the vent.

As a side note with the metal cover removed I could see in ductwork. I determined that with the metal evaporator coil cover loose and not making a seal it was allowing dirt into the coil and hot outside air into the ductwork which would send that mixed hot and cold air into the RV. The dirt clogged coil would not allow enough airflow causing the E5 fault much like a frozen coil will not allow enough airflow causing an E5 fault.

To continue... I opened up the Living Room AC (on the roof) and then removed the cover over the Evaporator coil. That cover did have all of the screws in it. But when I looked at the Evaporator coil it was clogged with construction debris such as saw dust and Styrofoam particles. I brushed of that coil and put the cover back on. Then sealed the edges with the Foil AC tape. Put everything back together and now I have more airflow and the air feels cooler.

Do you think I stumbled onto an issue? Or a partial fix?

Hello, I am new here. My wife and I are going to purchase a 3970 very soon. I am concerned about what I read in this thread. I live in central Texas and it is hot beyond hot. Summer morning temps avg 75 to 76 and afternoons are 97 plus and at times reaching 100 plus. So, I am concerned.

Any advice on what to do at the dealership? Any advice at all?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hello, I am new here. My wife and I are going to purchase a 3970 very soon. I am concerned about what I read in this thread. I live in central Texas and it is hot beyond hot. Summer morning temps avg 75 to 76 and afternoons are 97 plus and at times reaching 100 plus. So, I am concerned.

Welcome to the Heartland family!

We've got lots of Texans here!

We have the sister unit in a Big Country. I thought the air was great when we did our walkthough in January. We found out we needed to help it some in May. We did things ourselves, since we fulltime.

Before you sign anything, before you show up to take delivery:

Explain to the dealer before you come do your PDI that this is a known issue. That other owners have had issues, you know there is a TSB, and you don't want to be back for warranty work. They need to check and solve it now, before you accept delivery.

Ask the dealer to verify and show you if they have checked the AC units to see if they fall in the range for the Technical Service Bulletin from Dometic which concerns proper drainage from the units in the roof. It involves drilling some holes, and sealing some others.

Second, I would make sure you feel forceful air coming out of all output vents, and the return air has clean filters in its side. If you don't feel forceful air, ask why -- ask them to verify the blocks in the ductwork are located correctly, and/or to check the seal on the plenum box by removing the shroud and foam on the exterior unit and looking down into it. I found the seal from the box to the ductwork was not well done, and used some metal tape to seal it as best I could from inside -- reaching in through a duct. (This was not ideal.)

These are suggestions based on what I have read -- others hopefully can chime in with more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan_B

Ask the dealer to verify and show you if they have checked the AC units to see if they fall in the range for the Technical Service Bulletin...

Here is a general suggestion, not just tied to the AC question. If you are buying a unit off the lot, get the VIN and call Heartland Customer Service. See if there are any outstanding recalls or TSBs that would effect the unit. See if there are any other issues with that VIN.

nander

Texas North Chapter Leaders-retired

We have this same unit. Be sure to ask about the technical service bulletin others have mentioned. All I can say is ask for a 3rd air conditioner. I don't hear any of the Landmark people complaining about this issue, but most have 3 ac units. Other than the ac, we love our BH 3970!

Look forward to seeing you at a rally!