ATF: Cyclone - Roof mount satellite system

SteveC

I have purchased a directv automatic roof system, I called Heartland support and was emailed a diagram FEL-20095 that shows the coax cabling for all 4 TVs. I asked if there was a RG-6 communication cable pre wired and was told there was. The diagram shows the cable in the roof goes to the UDC Box.
the diagram also shows 4 Cable connections were as my 2014 4200 only has three and none of the connections in the UDC box have the dish RG-6 end. So I need to know where the RG-6 cable is that is used to communicate with the satellite dish.
From the diagram it looks like I will need to add a 4 way splitter where the antenna booster is.

DocFather

The Direct TV Genie system comes with a special splitter and power supply. I had mine installed by the Dealer when I bought it. They put the DirecTV splitter behind the UDC and used the RG-6 cables (already run) to the 4 cable connections (Bedroom, L/R, Garage and storage under bedroom on the DS). The Power/controller box for the dish was installed in the overhead cabinet in the garage by side door. They ran the power wires to the garage on the roof and the signal cables to the UDC on the roof then down the raceway in the master bath that runs down to the basement. The Trav'ler is a neat system. You just need to remember to park the rig clear from trees for a southwest view of the sky. Feel free to PM me.

Edit: Make sure, if you are not using the 4 receiver ports, cap the unused ports with a 75 ohm cap. I move mine to the house when I am not going to be traveling in the rig and found that this really does make a difference.

Last edited:

Bohemian

Directv sat works just fine with lower level RG cable. This would be especially true in an RV where the runs are shorter.

SteveC

Thanks DocFather, I am thinking of installing the dish today since it looks like this is going the be the nicest day for a while here in north Texas. You mentioned running the control cable along the roof to the garage. Did they just drill a hole from the garage cabinet through the roof? I was looking at drilling a hole in the MB laundry room ceiling through the roof to run the control cable to the BM TV area. I was told by Heartland tech that the there is a signal cable that is coiled up in the roof for the and was sent a schematic showing the wiring. Of course, seeing is believing and if that is NOT the case, then I will have to run the signal through the MB down to basement and go that way. You also mentioned a raceway to the basement, would you happen to have any pic's of the location for the raceway? I may need it.