ATF: Landmark -

cjbearden

Visitor
We have excessive cold air entering the slide windows at the head of the bed. The air is radiating strongly from the bottom of the window. We have to stuff blankets under the window to diminish some of the air radiation. Question: Why are the three bedroom windows not surrounded with wood trim like ALL the other windows in our Augusta? Slide windows downstairs are wood trimmed.

When we were at the factory in May 2010, a tech recaulked the outside of the bed slide windows; however, that did not resolve the issue we have with excessive heat/cold air radiating from those windows. Would love to hear any thoughts on a solution for this issue.

Attachments

• Windowtrim.JPG
    Windowtrim.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 102

hoefler

Most likely cold air falling from the window, not air intrusion from the outside. You are losing heat through the window by conduction. Cold air is heavier and naturally sinks lower than warm air. It can be bad enough that it feels like a draft from out side, but isn't. Dual pane windows help to prevent this from happening, but if it is cold enough, you will get it any ways. The best thing to do is to keep inside air coming in contact with the window. You could use one of the kits that have plastic you put over the window and shrink it with a hair dryer. Or by covering the window with a heavy curtain or blanket.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We simply close the shades when it's cold...makes a great buffer against radiating cold. Really doubt the wood trim would have any affect on stopping any radiating cold air...

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I too, think it's a matter of cold air falling. Because we camp year round, I've felt that drafty air. I cut a piece of foiled bubble insulation to fit tightly in the window. I was going to use the sticky velcro dots to hold it, but it fits snugly with the shades down. I used a truck windshield shade to make it. I sewed a bias tape around the edges, but you don't have to get that fancy. It helps quite a bit with the cold as well as the heat. An added benefit is blocking the sun when I don't want to get up early. :)

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Is this issue happening with the dual pane windows? Or do you you not have DPWs?

jbeletti

Hi CJ,

Are you sure their is an actual air current there? Consider checking that with a flame, tissue or similar. I just checked with an IR thermometer and in my demo coach with dual pane windows, measuring at a distance of 12", there is greater than a 6 degree difference when comparing the window glass directly and the shade in the closed position.

Jim

cjbearden

Visitor
We have dual pane windows. There is no draft that moves a tissue or the curtain. We also have a insulatec foil piece covering the window and shade is always down. Of course, northerly winds make the situation seem worse. Thanks for all the responses. This has been a concern because the pillows and bed linens are much colder at the head of the bed than the rest of the bed that is not in the slide. We will continue to crank up the electric blanket! We know it is cold when the cat crawls under the cover with us. ;-)