Attaching a class III trailer hitch

P149

Hello, looking for advise on attaching a class III "Curt" trailer hitch to my 2019 Heartland Big Country 3155RLK.
The hitch is a 72" adjustable type. On the underside of the frame there are attached, two "C" channel frame tabs with four pre-drilled holes on each. Presumably these are for attaching a trailer hitch. The one I've purchased will not match up with these channel tabs and will, I believe, make the hitch to low if it were some how attached. Has anyone ever just cut these tabs off??? I believe I could do this and would be able to then attach my purchased hitch to the frame using heavy duty nuts and bolts that came with the hitch I purchased. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions on the matter.20211107_120629.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard of plenty people that have used a grinder to remove those factory mounts.
Myself included.

Peace
Dave

P149

I've heard of plenty people that have used a grinder to remove those factory mounts.
Myself included.

Peace
Dave
Thanks Dave. I had others tell me the same and will get rid of them. They don't appear strong enough anyway.

sengli

Those tabs are for the factory installed class 1 hitch they used to offer as an option , (125lbs rated) for maybe a bike rack if you were lucky. Bolting on a class3 receiver? Man I wouldnt think thats strong enough to be safe. Those rear most frame rails on the fivers back there arent supported by much as far as cross pieces.