Atwood gc6aa-10e water heater not working Electric or Gas

tata

We just opened our trailer for the season and our water heater is not working. It was working fine when we closed it last year. We have an Atwood gc6aa-10e combination gas/electric. We mostly used it electric but sometimes used gas if we were in a hurry to get hot water quicker. Both don't work this year. I tried debugging the issue and this is what I have found so far:

-12V gets to the water heater board when I turn the switch on for both electric and gas (white and orange wires).
-Nothing comes out of the board to go to the electric relay (yellow wire) or gas valve (red wire) when the proper switch is turned on.
-The termal cutoff doesn't seem to be the issue. I cleaned the tips and even bypassed it. Used an ohm-meter to measure the resistance between the two brown wires on the boards with and without the thermal cut off and I was getting 0.2-0.3 ohms in both cases.

The board seems to be fine visually, but that doesn't say a whole lot. I think that might be the issue, unless I am missing something. Could it be the thermostat as well? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of weeks ago my daughter called to ask me questions about her water heater that did not give hot water but did last year when they used it.
The first thing I suggested was to check the bypass valves. She insisted they were in correct positions.
Turned out that her bypass valves were not in the correct position. Hot water now.
So, if you have not already, please check that the bypass valves are correct.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Orange or white wires should read +12V DC to ground, not -12V.

On the larger connector the green wire on pin 6, closest to the 4 pin connector, should be ground. I'd check the voltage on orange and white wires while using frame ground, and then again using the green wire as ground. I'd expect +12V in either case. If you have 12V to frame ground but not to the green wire, there's an open ground wire.

tata

Orange or white wires should read +12V DC to ground, not -12V.

On the larger connector the green wire on pin 6, closest to the 4 pin connector, should be ground. I'd check the voltage on orange and white wires while using frame ground, and then again using the green wire as ground. I'd expect +12V in either case. If you have 12V to frame ground but not to the green wire, there's an open ground wire.

It does read +12V, the "-" before the 12V was for the first item on the list, apologies about the confusion.

Hi all. Just got back from camping and my Atwood water heater failed during the trip. Did some troubleshooting. Here is what's happening. Tank is full, turn on both heater switches. Sit outside and a couple of minutes later i hear clicking sounds, 5 or 6 clicks from heater. open panel and watch. few minutes later, 5 or 6 more clicks. 2 lights on circuit board flash with clicks and remain off after clicking stops. but no hot water. any ideas? It's a GC6AA-10E 6 gallon

back again. David-Steph, Dahillbilly, I don't use gas to heat water heater, just shore power. Only use the gas for the main heat and cooking. as far as the water heater, about 12 hours after I made my post and checking wires, I turned on the hot water facet and guess what. I had hot water. Guess when i was messing with the wires and thermostat i must have cleaned some of the corrosion from the connections. hot water is working again. thanks again for the help.