Atwood Hot Water Heater - Cyclone 4150

Hi guys! My first post in here but definitely not my last.

Unable to get pictures right now but going to attempt to explain this to the best of my ability....

For Gas -
Looks like the thermostat on my water heater has been either stolen or never installed by my dealer. Is this required to run my water heater on LP gas?

For electric -
Want to make sure I don't burn anything out.
There's a lot of talk on what exactly that RED light switch is for under the control panel. Let it be known that I did opt for the yeti package - but there's a button specifically for that on the top of the control panel.

I have two switches underneath the panel... one is for the air conditioner control and the other ??????
Is the red on AN ADDITIONAL yeti switch?
or 110 for water heater?

my assumption is for the water heater -- and if so....
if i can only run on electric due to the above gas issue...

do I turn on the 110 switch AND the rocker switch in the control panel?
can i leave these on?
how do I get continuous hot water??

Help! :)

jimtoo

Hi dandjsoskin,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You can post some pictures after a couple more post.

The water heater does not have a thermostat for LP or electric, it is automatically regulated. The switch with the red lighted handle is for the electric element of the water heater, DO NOT turn it on unless you have run water and made sure the water heater is full first. There is also a switch for the electric side on the water heater itself and if it has never been used, it may be off also. You can run both elec and LP for a fast recovery of hot water if needed, but not many do I think.

I'll have to let some of the others answer about the yetti package. I do know there are some additional switches for it and one may be for the tank heating pads. Here again,, do not turn it on unless you have a little water in the tanks.

I'm sure you will get more and better answers from some of our other members soon.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Thank you Jim!
Okay, a few questions:

How do I know for sure that my water heater is full?
Do I HAVE to turn on 110 switch to run it on electric?

Can I leave these on for at least the duration of my stay?

avvidclif

Once I get to a campground, assuming hookups, hook up the water. Go in and turn on the cold water faucets, one at a time and bleed the air. Then repeat using the hot water side. It will take a moment on the hot water side to fill the tank and when you get a solid flow you are good. If needing hot water immediately I use gas and then switch to electric. If not in a hurry I turn on the electric and leave it on until I'm ready to leave.

jimtoo

Do just as Cliff posted above with the water. The electric switch outside on the water heater can be left on all the time and just use the inside switch with red handle. Once hooked up we leave ours on all the time on 50 amp service and never use LP. Just be sure you turn it off when you are getting ready to depart. Red light on switch is reminder...."Hey...I'M TURNED ON" :)

Jim M

Thank you both! very much!

So just to clarify -- you leave both the red light switch AND the rocker switch on the panel on once hooked up and until you leave?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes you can....but if you leave them both on....you are using propane when the red rocker switch on. If you have shore power....just us the red wall switch.

avvidclif

Thank you both! very much!

So just to clarify -- you leave both the red light switch AND the rocker switch on the panel on once hooked up and until you leave?

To clarify. There are 2 red switches for the WH inside the trailer. One for electric and one for gas. You can use either or both. Electric takes a while to warm up so if you need hot water in a hurry use both. Then turn off the gas when it gets hot. I leave the electric on from the time we hook up water at the site until I disconnect. If we are having to use a lot of hot water (6 grandkids in a row thru the shower) I turn on the gas to help the recovery time. We have never run out of hot water.

On some units there is an additional switch on the heater itself for electric heat. I say some units because mine doesn't have one unless it's buried. It's not inside the door on the WH.

Just make sure before turning on the WH ANYTIME that the air has been purged from the lines.