Automatic Awnings

dana22

I have a question about the automatic awnings. Once the awning is opened and adjusted as wanted, can the awning be brought in as is or should the adjustments be loosened prior to rolling it in again. We have always released the adjustments beforehand as a precaution but was wondering if it was safe to eliminate that step prior to putting the awning away.

Thanks!

jbeletti

I assume you mean those black knobs on the arms? I found out by accident that you can bring the awning in when it's adjusted and the knobs are tight. Is that a recommended practice? I'm unsure.

dana22

I assume you mean those black knobs on the arms? I found out by accident that you can bring the awning in when it's adjusted and the knobs are tight. Is that a recommended practice? I'm unsure.

That's what we were wondering.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

They need to be fully extended to fold up proporly. The best way is to manually do it.
However it seems to force it's way back into place when you bring it in but I'm sure that can't be good for it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

danemayer

I've wondered it you could safely retract the awning with the arms locked, but it seemed to me that trying it could be an expensive experiment.

jbeletti

My guess is that it's not a recommended practice, but I found out by forgetting, that it can be done.

Dumboldles

I've done it with the knobes tight by accident...your could here the awning motor working harder and concluded it wasn't good. The knobs should be lose.

Dumboldles

jbeletti

According to the user guide https://manuals.heartlandowners.org...wer Patio Awning 895(X)0(X)(X).400(X).pdf.pdf for a Dometic power awning it says in step 5 "Prior to closing awning, loosen knob to allow awning to return to original position.

Thanks for pulling up the manual and looking this up :)

So now we know..

It can be rolled in with the awning adjusted downward and knobs locked, but is not recommended and my guess is, it's not good for the awning arms to do so.

Rcnewell11

I am curious of anybody has problem with dometic awning electric that I have on my Ashland.I have issue with not rolling out and motor runs great but the material bunches up and it if I push side arm support myself it works great for the first foot or so and it will go out just fine all the way out .I looked at arms and they are not bent or crooked and they all move easily and I spray dry lubricant on all joints and knobs are loose.When I watch it roll up it rolls smooth and quiet and material looks to be the same on both ends of roller and alignment looks great.I didn't know if anybody else has had this.thanks Rob