automatic entry way way... residual current?

centerline

inside, over the door of our BigHorn, there is a light that comes on when the door is opened, and when the door closes, the light slowly dims til its off...

the light seemed to work fine until I replaced the halogen bulb with an LED bulb.... now, the light works as it should except when it goes out, the LED light continue to have a slight glow to it, which indicates a slight current flowing thru it... is this normal?

I was down in behind the electrical panel and found a timer module wired in to a circuit which I assume is the auto dimmer module wired into the entry light circuit, and I was wondering if this module could be damaged and leaking current thru it to the light.... and its my opinion that if its showing to be leaking current with the LED, then it has also been leaking thru the halogen bulb, but theres just not enough current to cause the halogen bulb to noticeably glow...

has anyone else had an issue with this circuit?....

Roller4tan

My thought would be to remove the led and check for voltage in the socket. then Pull the fuse for the circuit and see if the red light on the panel lights. If nothing, then try reversing the led in the socket.

Flick

inside, over the door of our BigHorn, there is a light that comes on when the door is opened, and when the door closes, the light slowly dims til its off...

the light seemed to work fine until I replaced the halogen bulb with an LED bulb.... now, the light works as it should except when it goes out, the LED light continue to have a slight glow to it, which indicates a slight current flowing thru it... is this normal?

I was down in behind the electrical panel and found a timer module wired in to a circuit which I assume is the auto dimmer module wired into the entry light circuit, and I was wondering if this module could be damaged and leaking current thru it to the light.... and its my opinion that if its showing to be leaking current with the LED, then it has also been leaking thru the halogen bulb, but theres just not enough current to cause the halogen bulb to noticeably glow...

Not all timers and switches (dimmers in particular) are compatible with led lighting. To stay on all the time isn’t normal.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Just as a point of reference, I replaced my welcome home fluorescent bulb in our 2011 Landmark with an LED strip and everything still works fine. All else being equal, I would suspect your switch/timer are compatible with the LED light, but that there is a slight power leak to the light. I did have to wire it differently than the other lights in the RV due to the timer. You may want to revisit your wiring setup. Mine stayed on all the time when I first put the LED in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

You could install a simple , small, 12 VDC relay circuit to positively turn off the current to the LED lamp.

I drew something up on Paint using just my cursor. The connections to the time delay circuit are on the left; the connections to the LED lamp on the right. When current is applied by the time delay circuit, the relay connects the normally open contact, lighting the LED. When the time delay circuit turns (near) off, there should not be enough current to energize the relay, the normally open contact will be disconnected, and the LED goes completely off.

relay switch.jpg

davidg

We have a 2011 BH and I would need to replace the isle light control module, from what you said it's located behind the electrical panel, is that correct and does anyone know where I can get one of those?
davidg